News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 544     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

PP may be inclined to provide funding to contested seats such as North York, Mississauga/Milton. I think the days of conservatives being dogmatically opposed to transit are behind us, and it is now acknowledged across the political spectrum that transit is an important piece of the congestion puzzle.
If I understand right this is a permanent funding program but not for anywhere specific? I could see him cancel that and strategically give funding based on projects

PP may be inclined to provide funding to contested seats such as North York, Mississauga/Milton. I think the days of conservatives being dogmatically opposed to transit are behind us, and it is now acknowledged across the political spectrum that transit is an important piece of the congestion puzzle.
Indeed - but the Liberals have (in quite a high profile manner) mostly stopped funding roads projects entirely. They got quite a bit of political blowback on saying it out loud - but the track record shows that they are generally not providing federal funding for roads projects outside of unusual circumstances.

Pre-Trudeau era, a much larger percentage of the infrastructure pie went to roads. The Feds regularly contributed to provincial roads projects - projects like the Dixie Road Interchange replacement on the QEW are still funded from Harper-era federal funding contributions for example - I imagine a Federal Conservative government would return closer to that ratio for new funding announcements - which means that even if total spending remained flat, transit spending would decrease.

well I’m skeptical of this time line. 1 Milton 2 sheppard. 3 Ontario line extension.

Sure seems like 3 and 2 would be flipped otherwise the Yonge line would be exploding from new riders.

well I’m skeptical of this time line. 1 Milton 2 sheppard. 3 Ontario line extension.

Sure seems like 3 and 2 would be flipped otherwise the Yonge line would be exploding from new riders.
Sheppard will offer connections to the western leg of Line 1, and Line 2 in the east, and many GO lines. Not necessarily overloading the Yonge line. And it'll make the Ontario Line extension a lot more valuable.

Nah, the next time we enter an economic downturn it'll provide the perfect excuse to cut transit funding.

Worth noting that the federal conservatives adopted a motion at their last party convention - 2023 - to support the development of high speed rail in Canada. This is entirely a symbolic gesture but it is one that acts as a pretty good barometer for what kind of policy is within acceptance among the CPC base.

There is no telling what the CPC will actually do come 2025. If PP wants to materialize his promised tax cuts across the spectrum that sounds like spending cuts will have to do a lot of the heavy lifting. PP has also talked about getting rid of the Canada Infrastructure Bank.

On the other hand, he has also expressed his admiration for the Hong Kong MTR and talked extensively about land use around stations being used to fund transit. But I don't think PP realizes all MTR projects within Hong Kong are constructed by the government, which funds projects primarily through land sales. MTR is then granted a lease on the infrastructure which was built by the government.

Back