News   Jul 16, 2024
 664     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 592     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Your feelings are irrelevant.

Not said meanly, but factually.

Read what I wrote, and consider the source.........or don't.
I know my feelings are irrelevant.When it comes to most government things, all of our feelings are irrelevant.

Can you help me understand why it won't be a forced transfer?

I know my feelings are irrelevant.When it comes to most government things, all of our feelings are irrelevant.

Can you help me understand why it won't be a forced transfer?
There's not enough density or ridership demand to bring the Sheppard line all the way to Malvern TC.

There's not enough density or ridership demand to bring the Sheppard line all the way to Malvern TC.
Would it make sense to build the section along Sheppard east of McCowen to MTC as a separate phase? Once the other 2 are operational, see what the ridership is then?

Would it make sense to build the section along Sheppard east of McCowen to MTC as a separate phase? Once the other 2 are operational, see what the ridership is then?
No because again, the EELRT would be in place by then. Even if wasn't, the density of the area doesn't justify the pricetag of a subway.

No because again, the EELRT would be in place by then. Even if wasn't, the density of the area doesn't justify the pricetag of a subway.
My thinking is if the subway is ever extended into Pickering, this would be where it likely would be extended from. I know the chances of that happening is slim to none.

Reactions: JBR
If it had to be done in 2 phases, which phase would be better to do first?

I guess, starting from the west would be technically preferable, because then the link to Wilson yard is ready by the time you begin working on the eastern part.

However, the eastern section is easier to sell to the public, as it can attract more new riders.

They will likely prefer to do both at once, as the combined benefit is greater than the benefit from either side on its own.

I guess, starting from the west would be technically preferable, because then the link to Wilson yard is ready by the time you begin working on the eastern part.

However, the eastern section is easier to sell to the public, as it can attract more new riders.
Almost sounds like they need to be done concurrently to not just sell it to the public,but make it functionally good.

For those not picking up what NL is putting down, the Chinese Cultural Centre is at Markham and Sheppard. Perhaps a hint that an extension beyond McCowan is being contemplated.
I know @Northern Light will laugh at my pessimism, but, transit projects in Toronto need two - or three - to tango. It’s unclear to me that the feds (I don’t think the city would be involved here) will pony up at this time. So, my money is on this not moving forward unless Ford says he’ll backstop the funding gap.

I know @Northern Light will laugh at my pessimism, but, transit projects in Toronto need two - or three - to tango. It’s unclear to me that the feds (I don’t think the city would be involved here) will pony up at this time. So, my money is on this not moving forward unless Ford says he’ll backstop the funding gap.

Sheppard is not yet funded, or tendered, and construction is not imminent.

But if plans don't blow up (and sometimes they do); its coming.

Federal money for additional projects is available (unallocated except to transit) beginning in 2026. I expect Milton GO will be front of the line for new money, along with new trains for Line 2. Sheppard will follow.

PP may be inclined to provide funding to contested seats such as North York, Mississauga/Milton. I think the days of conservatives being dogmatically opposed to transit are behind us, and it is now acknowledged across the political spectrum that transit is an important piece of the congestion puzzle.

Back