News   Aug 15, 2024
 285     1 

Seat Hogs

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
mansit.jpg

Sitting on public transportation with one’s legs spread wide–is an egregious violation of the NYC Transit’s Rules of Subway/Bus Conduct.

Check out http://trainjotting.com/2008/04/03/seat-hogs-facebook-is-watching-you/

I would guess resting your backpack, purse, or purchases on a seat beside you is a close second, if not first.

For other Urban Etiquette rules check out http://nymag.com/guides/etiquette/17332/index6.html

etiquette060619_2_560.jpg
Rules of the underground: (1) Knees may be no more than six inches apart. (2) If you can't control your offspring, watch as a stranger does it for you. (3) What did we say about checking out the girls? (4) The Post is only 25 cents—buy your own. (5) Holding the subway door makes everyone on the train love you. (6) As does loud music. (7) Lie down on subway only if dead.

I make a point of sitting next to losers doing exactly that.

I also hate it when in the last row of seats on a street car, the person sitting on the sideways back seat uses your seat as an arm rest.

The other day this guy did just that and was elbowing me in the back because of it.
I turned around and glared at him. That didn't send him the message.
I turned around and asked him to remove his arm. That didn't get the message through his thick skull.
I got up and told him to remove his arm. He told me to F off.

... at the next stop, I grabbed him by the back of his pants and threw him out the back doors. Maybe he'll remember that the next time...

Also, there's the people who lean against poles rather than holding them. Let's not forget those who walk very slowly as they get on the train figuring out where they want to sit/stand while the door is closing on you.

I believe you, I just wish I had the...ahem...balls.

I would attribute this to anti-anxiety meds that I take. It really gives you the "I don't give a shit" attitude that allows you to do anything and confront anybody and not be embarrassed or afraid..lol That guy was SOL with me....

OK Lets go over this list ....

I would guess resting your backpack, purse, or purchases on a seat beside you is a close second, if not first.
- Guilty on this with my school bag, especially whenever I've fallen asleep on the subway...

For other Urban Etiquette rules check out
Rules of the underground:
(1) Knees may be no more than six inches apart
- A couple times due to a bad ankle problem that have to occasionally stretch it or I'm limping for three days!

(2) If you can't control your offspring, watch as a stranger does it for you.
- No Kids (I'm only 23), but my cat did get lose on a street car once when going to vet! She went straight for the back doors ...(So now your wondering how a 23 year old can have a bad ankle? My wild Mountain Biking Days when I lived in Calgary....)

(3) What did we say about checking out the girls?
- Not Guilty. Honestly.

(4) The Post is only 25 cents—buy your own.
- Or just grab the one thats sitting on the empty seat.

(5) Holding the subway door makes everyone on the train love you.
- I heavily dislike people that do that.

(6) As does loud music.
- Not guilty, my mother is hard of hearing in one ear, I dont want it happen to me with both ears! Although I do hate the ones that dont hear you and wont move to let you out. I usually just step on them while getting out....

(7) Lie down on subway only if dead.
- I havent done it, but have seen it a few times.

I would attribute this to anti-anxiety meds that I take. It really gives you the "I don't give a shit" attitude that allows you to do anything and confront anybody and not be embarrassed or afraid..lol That guy was SOL with me....

not only shit outta luck, i'd also say jolly well fucked. SOL & JWF :D

p.s, to quote george carlin's modern man....

I'm an alpha-male on beta-blockers.

;)

LoL... I gave him a pretty bad wedgie on the way to the door. Lucky for him, the next stop was Spadina (on Queen) and there's a central median so he didn't end up on the street... although he did go face first into the TTC shelter. :eek:

LoL... I gave him a pretty bad wedgie on the way to the door. Lucky for him, the next stop was Spadina (on Queen) and there's a central median so he didn't end up on the street... although he did go face first into the TTC shelter. :eek:
Perhaps the next time you try such a stunt, someone will knife you.

Surely being a vigilante and getting violent about an incident that was non-violent to begin with is a much worse crime than resting your arm in the wrong place on a seat.

Perhaps the next time you try such a stunt, someone will knife you.

Surely being a vigilante and getting violent about an incident that was non-violent to begin with is a much worse crime than resting your arm in the wrong place on a seat.

You did notice the part where he was told to F off, didn't you?

The problem with taking public transportation these days is the intimidation factor that most people will not do anything about, so if someone wants to stand up to it I say all power to them. Given the way things are now the situation is not going to get any better. It will only get worse.

"... at the next stop, I grabbed him by the back of his pants and threw him out the back doors. Maybe he'll remember that the next time..."

I don't believe this story. The world is populated with 2 groups of people: those incapable of such vigilantism yet who fantasize about it (such as myself); and those actually capable of it. The latter group tend to get discouraged or institutionalized by the time they're 18 or so. You can get away with stuff maybe 5 times as an adult before the game's up otherwise it would be Lord of the Flies out there.

Anyway, I noticed a new trend. What's with these people (surpisingly, often women) who need to chow down lunch on the subway - I'm talking hotdogs with all the toppings, and pop?

Back