News   Jul 16, 2024
 320     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 500     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 620     2 

Seat Hogs

I'm curious how you think people who elbow people in the back and then when asked to stop tell them to F-off should be dealt with. I don't think the cops will show up to deal with the issue. Obviously dealing with them politely didn't work. By waiting until the stop before throwing them out the door he completely avoided an escalation that would have occured had he remained on board. Normally bouncers would do exactly the same to people acting up inside a club. He didn't punch him in the face or kick him in the stomach... he threw him out.

Telling someone to fuck off is a non-violent act. Physically attackinga and assaulting someone because they swore at you is a criminal offence. Telling somone to fuck off isn't, it's just plain rude. There's a huge difference.

Anyone who attacks another passenger, simply because they felt they were being rude is clearly is in need of mental assistance, and I'd recommend that they discuss this with their physician, before they go off the deep end and kill either their relatives, friends, or strangers.

Looks like somebody's in a hyperbolic mood today. Either that, or you're the dimwit who I kicked out of the streetcar...

If you want to get into technicalities, the guy was stabbing me in the back with his elbow. I consider that assault.

He wasn't being just rude, he was being confrontational. It took him no effort to get up when I got up. He was ready for a fight. He tried to intimidate me. I saw the moment when he realized that I wasn't going to shrivel up. He winced when I moved toward him. He knew at that point that he had it coming...

I'm curious how you think people who elbow people in the back and then when asked to stop tell them to F-off should be dealt with. I don't think the cops will show up to deal with the issue. Obviously dealing with them politely didn't work. By waiting until the stop before throwing them out the door he completely avoided an escalation that would have occured had he remained on board. Normally bouncers would do exactly the same to people acting up inside a club. He didn't punch him in the face or kick him in the stomach... he threw him out.

Thank you. That's exactly my point.

I mentioned this situation to a friend of mine who's a cop. He said that's exactly how it should be handled {off the record of course}. As long as it doesn't result in somebody getting severely hurt or killed, the cops want nothing to do with petty little situations like these. You'd be surprised at the nature of crimes that cops in 14 division deal with and never make the news. The last thing they want to deal with is a little dipshit acting all gangsta and then getting kicked out of a streetcar.

Somebody's assaulting you, being confrontational, looking for a fight. You firmly ask them to stop. They tell you to F off. Of course you'd react.

I got him off the streetcar. I even waited for it to stop (lol). I think I did him a favor. There were other people in the back who were getting annoyed by that little dickwad. A couple of guys even got out of their seat when he told me to F off.

If I didn't kick him out of the streetcar, I have a feeling he would have faced a worse fate at the hands of the other two dudes.

good for you standing up for yourself. pure balls because of the risk involved but you handled it well.

I'm curious how you think people who elbow people in the back and then when asked to stop tell them to F-off should be dealt with.
If you read the description in the original post, the elbowing in the back wasn't intentional, and simply a by-product of the way the guy was sitting. MetroMan's description of his response was that he "glared at him" and then "turned around and asked him to remove his arm". If this incident is actually true, rather than simply a manifestation of MetroMan's imagination (and I'm about 60-40 against the whole incident being true), then I have a hard time him politely asking him to remove his elbow, and I expect he was kind of rude. Surely the response would be to simply go sit somwhere else. Note that MetroMan appears to be seeking such confrontation, and also wrote "I make a point of sitting next to losers doing exactly that.

By waiting until the stop before throwing them out the door he completely avoided an escalation that would have occured had he remained on board. Normally bouncers would do exactly the same to people acting up inside a club. He didn't punch him in the face or kick him in the stomach... he threw him out.
Which is an act of violence, and is not acceptable. While the guy he was complaining about was likely rude, the only person here who deserves punishment is MetroMan - if he isn't making up the entire story.

Looks like somebody's in a hyperbolic mood today. Either that, or you're the dimwit who I kicked out of the streetcar...
hyperbolic? I think I'd like to question you ability to assess character. These days, if you do encounter me on a streetcar, I'm quite likely carrying a baby - so hopefully you will take that into account a) before you assault me, and b) before you asses why I might bump into someone.

If you want to get into technicalities, the guy was stabbing me in the back with his elbow. I consider that assault.
Bullshit - your just looking for an excuse to be violent.

I think I did him a favor.
I think you need psychiatric help. I take it your American from your spelling - perhaps you not aware but medical assistance here is free.

I'm guilty of being somewhat hypocritical. On the one hand I would have been thrilled to see this jerk tossed off the TTC by Metro. On the other, I'm aware that different people have different views of acceptable behavior. In this case, MetroMan was probably right. But I don't want every 6 foot plus guy making that judgement on thier own.

On the other hand these kids in little their "gansta" clothes are just trying to find an identity. But the costume is very anti-social and something of a challenge to start with.

I remember when I was around 20 being on a crowded Kipling bus, near the back. I was trying to ring my stop. For some reason I can't explain I wound up pulling the cord 3-4 times. I thought in turn the first pull hadn't sounded, the second hadn't been heard or was too faint, and the third time because the bus wasn't slowing. I was standing beside an attractive girl and was petrified the bus would pass my stop which would identify me forever in her mind as an ineffective loser - so I kept pulling.:(

This is the mind of a 20 year-old.

So the driver yelled out something at me, and a guy amongst his friends called me an asshole. I almost hit him out of a haze of embarrassment.

Behavior can be inexplicable.

I've always been fascinated by misunderstanding - causes & effects.

polehog.jpg

What I can't stand is people on the platform blocking the doors when you're trying to exit, what am I supposed to storm the crowd with my stroller? I say "EXCUSE ME PLEASE!", they're still standing there and staring at me, so I move forward and they move out of the way but only when my front wheel finally touches their legs.. idiots

Yep, people eating on the train is really gross, the smell of McDonal'd "meat" makes me want to upchuck, the ventillation is already poor. Another pet peeve is people taking a bath in their perfume or aftershave..

I still love TTC though :)

I think you need psychiatric help. I take it your American from your spelling - perhaps you not aware but medical assistance here is free.

You're in the wrong forum to be using personal attacks. There's no need for that. You seem truly perturbed by this situation. Perhaps you are the kind who thinks they own the world around them and has been taught a lesson too. Nonetheless, if you're into personal attacks on web forums, SkyscraperPage is what you're looking for. Begone little twirp! :rolleyes:

What you view as in need of psychiatric help, I view as standing up for myself.

Where you want to run away from situations squeeling like a little girl, I won't tolerate that kind of behavior towards me.

He was very aware that his elbow was digging into my back several times. I assumed that he would have realized it the first time so I didn't say anything. It was after several times that I turned around and looked at him as if saying "Excuse me!". When he didn't remove his arm after that and dug his elbow into my back a couple more times, I verbally asked him to remove his arm.

That's when he escalated the situation. What was a fair request turned into a "Phuck off!" from him. Now you'd probably switch seats and go throw punches into the air when you got home angered at yourself for being a loser who can't stand up for himself, but I got out of my seat and walked around to his. He continued his big shot façade with his "pfft!" face and was truly disarmed when I told him to get up.

We exchanged a few words, he continued being disrespectful. I noticed we were arriving at Spadina so I took him out of the equation.

I could have waited for him to throw a punch at which point I could have beaten him unconscious... I didn't. I knew that he was a poser in a costume as Buildup pointed out. I knew that what he needed to see was that people don't tolerate that kind of behavior. Period.

He was taking up at least four seats on a busy streetcar. His sprawling legs into the aisle, his arm on the back of two seats on his right, and another arm on the seat next to him on his left. People tired from a busy day at work were standing up when they could have sat down on their way home.

Now you tell me who's in need of psychiatric help? Stand up for yourself little wuss! Raise your kid to grow some balls (unless of course it's a girl).

I don't go around the world being a vigilante but I do stand up for myself when the situation arises. I won't avoid a seat because some dude thinks he owns four or five seats around him. If he smells... ok, he wins.. I'll go stand elsewhere.

Oh, all that and I forgot to make my legal point:

Harassment is crime. He was clearly harassing me. I ended the harassment in the cleanest and quickest way possible.

I don't understand how nfitz sees no problem with someone touching and elbowing some stranger. MetroMan's rights were being infringed upon, it is simple as that.

I think he's not in his right mind. He clearly needs psychiatric help :rolleyes:

I take it your American from your spelling - perhaps you not aware but medical assistance here is free.

niftz: I take it you're illiterate from your spelling - perhaps you're not aware but basic education here is free.

Back