News   Jul 16, 2024
 340     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 505     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 627     2 

Seat Hogs

That said, I really wish I could deliver such beatings. To be an ex-navy SEAL or something just cruising our streets imposing civility with my fists and feet.

Here's another take.

Maybe this "gansta" was a sort of scared poser, who froze when told to take his arm down. What seems simple to an adult, ie - an apology, shrug, and removal of the arm is hard to pull off for a young kid who is trying to put on a brave front. Adults usually have other sources of esteem like a job, a life, or whatever. Young kids simply can't stand down, because they don't know how to. I'm guessing the (possibly fictional) kid was actually scared, self-concious, despite his attitude.

He may also be from a background where people don't demand the same personal space, he may have been totally confused? Was he North American, this fictional boy?

Perhaps the next time you try such a stunt, someone will knife you.

Surely being a vigilante and getting violent about an incident that was non-violent to begin with is a much worse crime than resting your arm in the wrong place on a seat.

When somebody is elbowing me in the back and then tells me to F off.... I consider that intimidation and confrontation.

If somebody produced a knife at me, he wouldn't have time to regret the day. He'd be buried the next.

I don't believe this story. The world is populated with 2 groups of people: those incapable of such vigilantism yet who fantasize about it (such as myself); and those actually capable of it. The latter group tend to get discouraged or institutionalized by the time they're 18 or so. You can get away with stuff maybe 5 times as an adult before the game's up otherwise it would be Lord of the Flies out there.

Well, I'll try not to resent the fact that you're calling me a liar... I think you're oversimplifying things a bit too much here. I work in an environment where I have to deal with drunks and egomaniacs daily (Toronto's nightlife). Often, I manage to diffuse the situation. Other times, I have to get physically defensive.

I study Krav Maga (translated: Contact Combat. The official martial arts of the Israeli military) which enables me to get out of situations where the enemy has a weapon. I'm not Neo from the Matrix but if the enemy hesitates -- and they often do -- that's the last mistake they'll ever make.

The guy on the streetcar was a wimp who couldn't defend himself against Mary Poppins and her umbrella. Picking him up by the back of his pants and walking him to the door took little effort... specially when I could see the fear in his face when I lifted him up. I stepped down to open the door and ejected him promptly.

To answer your latter questions, he was a white guy, early 20 something with an attitude problem. He had no qualms about telling me to F off. He only got scared when I didn't show fear and told him to stand up.

Furthermore, I'm surprised you haven't seen people like this confronted before. Twice I've seen kids playing music loudly on their cell phones. The first offender was confronted by a woman who herself seemed to give no shit about what others think and the other by a group of people fed up with hearing the offender's rap beats. The second resulted in the cell phone being taken.

I've also seen people confronted about leaving garbage behind (I've confronted people doing that several times).

metroman, before you threw him off the streetcar, were you at least courteous enough to call out the stop?

;)

Anyway, I noticed a new trend. What's with these people (surpisingly, often women) who need to chow down lunch on the subway - I'm talking hotdogs with all the toppings, and pop?

I also hate those people with steaming tim horton cups of coffee that stand over you as your sitting, its an accident waiting to happen.

"When somebody is elbowing me in the back and then tells me to F off.... I consider that intimidation and confrontation.

If somebody produced a knife at me, he wouldn't have time to regret the day. He'd be buried the next."

Would a similar fate await anyone who baited you on-line? If so, I apologize in advance because I don't want to be buried just yet. I've a friend recently back from Afghanistan having retired form JTF I'll have to ask him to keep his elbows down on the subway so as not be encounter a burial experience.

"I study Krav Maga (translated: Contact Combat. The official martial arts of the Israeli military) which enables me to get out of situations where the enemy has a weapon. I'm not Neo from the Matrix but if the enemy hesitates -- and they often do -- that's the last mistake they'll ever make."

I've taken Krav Maga, and other things, out near Dupont & Ossington. Its absolutely the best system I've found. Wish I'd taken it up earlier though.

"When somebody is elbowing me in the back and then tells me to F off.... I consider that intimidation and confrontation.

If somebody produced a knife at me, he wouldn't have time to regret the day. He'd be buried the next."

Would a similar fate await anyone who baited you on-line? If so, I apologize in advance because I don't want to be buried just yet. I've a friend recently back from Afghanistan having retired form JTF I'll have to ask him to keep his elbows down on the subway so as not be encounter a burial experience.

I'm not saying that I'm not going to confront somebody that I can't take on and who will give me a beating... I'm not even close to being a master @ Krav. I'm just saying that I'm not going to recoil when somebody is elbowing my back and refuses to stop. I don't go around looking for fights, nor have I been in many as an adult. I wouldn't consider this a fight by any stretch of an imagination. It was more like a "disciplining".

I've taken Krav Maga, and other things, out near Dupont & Ossington. Its absolutely the best system I've found. Wish I'd taken it up earlier though.

If you like Krav Maga, a new school just opened on Dundas and Dovercourt:

www.KravMagaToronto.com

I'm working out there tonight...

A funny little story that I can use an example of people not taking shit and confronting offenders: The owner of this new Krav Maga school (my brother's best friend, and growing to becoming a good friend of mine also) was renovating his space in anticipation of the opening this week. He was there well into the night. At some point, he was painting the interior walls and he sees somebody's feet in the stairwell.... and he hears the sound of spraying.... Yes, you guessed it. Some kid was spraying graffiti on his freshly painted walls. Oh oh!
The school owner gave the guy a few hard slaps and made him repaint the walls white. You think the graffiti kid was going to fight back? He ran away with his tail between his legs after cleaning his mess..lol

Note: I use the word "kid" for some snotty nosed guy who acts like he's 12 and thinks he can do what he wants without repercussions. This graffiti kid was probably in his early 20's.

A funny little story that I can use an example of people not taking shit and confronting offenders: The owner of this new Krav Maga school (my brother's best friend, and growing to becoming a good friend of mine also) was renovating his space in anticipation of the opening this week. He was there well into the night. At some point, he was painting the interior walls and he sees somebody's feet in the stairwell.... and he hears the sound of spraying.... Yes, you guessed it. Some kid was spraying graffiti on his freshly painted walls. Oh oh!
The school owner gave the guy a few hard slaps and made him repaint the walls white. You think the graffiti kid was going to fight back? He ran away with his tail between his legs after cleaning his mess..lol

Note: I use the word "kid" for some snotty nosed guy who acts like he's 12 and thinks he can do what he wants without repercussions. This graffiti kid was probably in his early 20's.

Perchance was he spraying the word "SPUD" on the wall? When I lived at Dundas and Ossington a year and a half ago every flat surface... every mailbox, every street sign, every wall had been tagged by a guy who called himself SPUD. Wasn't sure what I would do if I had ever run into him while walking down the street.

I couldn't make it out when I arrived the next day. The tagger didn't repaint it with enough coats of white that I could see that the wall had been tagged, but I couldn't make out what it said.

The guy on the streetcar was a wimp who couldn't defend himself against Mary Poppins and her umbrella. Picking him up by the back of his pants and walking him to the door took little effort... specially when I could see the fear in his face when I lifted him up. I stepped down to open the door and ejected him promptly.

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Miscellaneous/ltmi_034.mp3

MetroMan

That club seems to be very close to the location I trained at about 2 year ago, perhaps its the same owner. The owner I recall as being about average size, very tough, nice guy.

I stopped going after 2 particular routines. One was a hoot, everyone formed in circle around a pile of pads. There were 1/2 as many pads as students. You had to rush in and come out with one. It took me about 5 minutes to seperate a 21 year-old guy from his pad by hauling him across the floor. Problem was I was 45 yrs old, 5'7" 160. I almost had a heart attack. Basically that's too strenous I think to be safe although I'm in good shape.

The other was a routine where you break out of a rear choke. But the same 20 year-old attacked my vertebrae with such vigour with each repetition I thought I was risking injury.

I wish they had sessions, for people my age, that were slightly more practical. At my age its about staying healthy while working out.

I hope you had a good workout.

I doubt that these forceful confrontations in public spaces actually get the offenders to change their ways. Sure, it's very satisfying, but they might just find someone weaker to bother next time. Perhaps they'll get a weapon. I think it's better to have a verbal message before you put your training into practice.

I sort of share that view. When these cowards get humiliated, I've often suspected that someone else suffers. Their rage gets directed against a wife, child or weaker person. There's literally no chance these punks will just say "I guess I've been taught something today, perhaps I should show more consideration to strangers." To recapture there self-esteem they just go an kick a homeless person.
That's the problem, but I'm not sure what the solution is.

You did notice the part where he was told to F off, didn't you?
Telling someone to fuck off is a non-violent act. Physically attackinga and assaulting someone because they swore at you is a criminal offence. Telling somone to fuck off isn't, it's just plain rude. There's a huge difference.

Anyone who attacks another passenger, simply because they felt they were being rude is clearly is in need of mental assistance, and I'd recommend that they discuss this with their physician, before they go off the deep end and kill either their relatives, friends, or strangers.

Back