News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 470     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Scarborough Photographs: Then and Now

According to the Scarborough Archives and credit to them for the top photo , this is 1949 and the trucks took away and brought back appliances to customers after the 60 cycle conversion.

According to the Scarborough Archives and credit to them for the top photo , this is 1949 and the trucks took away and brought back appliances to customers after the 60 cycle conversion.

At that time it was primarily all the electric motors in a household that had to be exchanged - any old 25-cycle motor needed replacement.

Do you have the date of this photo, Anna?
Let's see who gets the first "Now" photo of this view - brewster or I.

Don't hurt yourselves, boys.

Sorry, no date - Lawrence Avenue at Kennedy Road
Fonds 220, Series 65, File 162, Item 28
[196-?]
34 photographs : b&w negatives

Brewster, as mentioned on 'then and now' I found it through a 'browse' not a search.
Sometimes you can use the advanced search and the series/file/item number - but in this case it didn't work.

Closer
s0065_fl0162_it0028.jpg

Last edited:
Don't hurt yourselves, boys.

Closer
s0065_fl0162_it0028.jpg

Sorry I didn't see that "closer" shot earlier - I was there today - challenge has been met!

TNZion-WexfordChurch.jpg

OOPS! That caption should read 'east of Warden'

Attachments

• TN Zion-Wexford Church.jpg
    TN Zion-Wexford Church.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 800
Last edited:
Ugh! There's so many scumbag property owners out there (including you, TD). This is almost as bad as seeing all those beaux-arts buildings with all of their detailing stripped off. At least it would be easier to bring these 50's buildings back to their original glory.

It's just as bad because these hamfisted renovations leave large suburban communities with few outstanding buildings. People grow up in these spaces without a sense of wonder or confidence in the architecture of the city. These photos of Scarborough show nearly every interesting Modernist building in these areas simplified and cheapened over time with renovations, leaving people with impressions of banality today when there's plenty of potentially interesting architecture. I really wish owners will restore the likes of the infamous TD branch that we've been discussing. Whether it's a Victorian or Beaux-Arts building downtown or a Modernist building in the suburbs, renovations should precicely identify the interesting architectural features of the original buildings and maintain them.

Reminds me of the Levittown,Long Island area-1950s...

Here's another one you might like
s0065_fl0151_it0006.jpg

Anna-Neat picture here of a Cities Service gas station and a arch-type supermarket
I recall an area of Levittown,LI that had a similar shopping center...
Cities Service became CITGO in the late 1960s at least in the US...

One thing that I have noticed in many photos from the 1950s era is how similar
that Toronto's and parts of Long Island's established suburbs actually are...
I really like looking at pictures of Toronto's suburbs from the post WW2 era
because of just this fact...

LI MIKE

Anna-Neat picture here of a Cities Service gas station and a arch-type supermarket
I recall an area of Levittown,LI that had a similar shopping center...
Cities Service became CITGO in the late 1960s at least in the US...

One thing that I have noticed in many photos from the 1950s era is how similar
that Toronto's and parts of Long Island's established suburbs actually are...
I really like looking at pictures of Toronto's suburbs from the post WW2 era
because of just this fact...

LI MIKE

Were any of those Long Island parabolic-roof groceries Grand Union?

Incidentally, it impresses me how architecturally sophisticated Cities Service stations were for their time in Toronto...

Goldie/Brewster
Do you know where this is? It's in a group called Woodbine Avenue widening but it includes a bunch of Eglinton/Golden Mile pictures - I'm wondering if it's near Kingston Road?

s0065_fl0136_it0040.jpg

Goldie/Brewster
Do you know where this is? It's in a group called Woodbine Avenue widening but it includes a bunch of Eglinton/Golden Mile pictures - I'm wondering if it's near Kingston Road?

s0065_fl0136_it0040.jpg

If Eglinton was realinged to make it a 90 degree intersection, this might have been Kingston and SGC Rd.
But that church looks familiar and the grade on the south side does not look right.

Last edited:
Goldie/Brewster
Do you know where this is?

s0065_fl0136_it0040.jpg

I think that's the end of Eglington - where it joined Kingston Rd.
The church is at the s/e corner of Kingston and Scarb. Golf Club Rd.
The present day intersection was probably installed slightly to the west.

Back