News   May 08, 2024
 653     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 908     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Ryerson: Master Plan

If Ryerson wants to look gift horses in the mouth....all the power to them. Just don't ask successful alumni for support (and be prepared to rely on inadequate public funding).

This is just a student journo poking a little fun at Rogers. It's not RU policy.

alklay:

OT - We should question why there is inadequate public funding in the first place. Ontario ranks 9th out of 10 in provincial university funding per capita.

AoD

Last edited:
I completely agree: inadequate public financing is a huge issue.

But there are a million other ways (most more effective) to make a point without being tasteless and disrespectful. That's all.

It's from a student publication, and printed on its "joke" page. You're surprised by students poking fun at the quirks of their campus, including the frequent fawning over Ted Rogers by the school administration?

What some people call "donating millions of dollars" others call "selling the naming rights to the highest bidder".

I'm not familiar with any other buildings named after a someone who paid for it which include mini-museum exhibits about the individual. Or where every sign in the building (including those which simply indicate the room number) was replaced to include the name of the donator.

Personally I found it funny. The Varsity publishes a whole joke issue on April 1 which I always found funny.

Don't most educational and cultural institutions, and hospitals, and research facilities have wings, or auditoriums, or atriums, or lecture halls, or galleries, or rooms, or seats ... named after donors, these days - with signage that names their names in appropriately large type depending on the level of giving? There's a book in the lobby of the Four Seasons Centre that acknowledges the generosity of the hundreds of ordinary ( and extraordinary ) Torontonians who donated to the capital fund to build the place, for instance - and it makes good reading.

An email that went out to all Ryerson students regarding a new sports and recreation facility. There was talk earlier about the Sears parking lot being used and im going to assume that is still the plan. A referendum is being held this year to determine whether to pretty much double the sports and rec. fee that all students pay, in order to fund the construction of a new facility which would be operational by 2012 the earliest.

* * * Please do not reply to this email * * *

On November 24, 2008 the Board of Governors of Ryerson University approved a referendum among all graduate and undergraduate students enrolled in full and part-time degree programs on a question of supporting the construction and operation of a new Sports and Recreation facility.

BACKGROUND
All Ryerson students currently pay an annual mandatory fee of $61 for Sports and Recreation which is adjusted annually for inflation.* Because the fee is mandatory it is OSAP eligible (for students who qualify).

In addition, students can choose to pay an additional $64 (adjusted annually for inflation) to have access to more sports and recreation privileges. Because the fee is optional it is not OSAP-eligible.

PROPOSAL
It is proposed that $126 be added to the existing mandatory fee which today is $61. The combined fee will be annually adjusted for inflation.

The University will build and operate a new facility in addition to the existing Recreation and Sports Centre (RAC) and students will be able to use both facilities for a single mandatory fee.

The fee increase of $126 will only be charged when the new facility opens, no earlier than 2012. Until the new Centre is open there will be no change in the existing fee arrangement.

Before any new sports and recreation facility is built, students will be consulted on their priorities.

QUESTION
Do you agree to support the construction of a new sports and recreation facility through an increase of $126 in the mandatory fee (pro-rated for part-time students) that will be collected only when a new sports and recreation centre opens and after that adjusted annually for inflation?

REGISTRATION FOR YES AND NO CAMPAIGN
A YES or NO side needs the signatures of three students. The three signatories are the primary contact for the group. A registration form can be downloaded from the following website http://www.ryerson.ca/governors/elections and should be returned to Josie Lee at JOR 1225 completed and signed.

WHEN AND HOW TO VOTE
Vote online at https://my.ryerson.ca .

On-Line Voting begins
Monday, March 16, 2009, 8:00 a.m. to Thursday, March 19, 2009, 4:30 p.m. and is available 24 hours a day with the exception of 2:50 a.m. - 3:40 a.m. (Eastern Time)

For further information about this referendum please go to: http://www.ryerson.ca/governors/elections

* Toronto Consumer Price Index (CPI)

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with any other buildings named after a someone who paid for it which include mini-museum exhibits about the individual. Or where every sign in the building (including those which simply indicate the room number) was replaced to include the name of the donator.

If I'm not mistaken, U of T's Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering had one or more mini-museum exhibits in either the Sanford Fleming or Galbraith building early this decade.

Though we are talking about the same individual... he merely conferred his megalomania posthumously to his dad.

If I'm not mistaken, U of T's Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering had one or more mini-museum exhibits in either the Sanford Fleming or Galbraith building early this decade.

Though we are talking about the same individual... he merely conferred his megalomania posthumously to his dad.

I had no idea. Geez.

It saddens me that while in the past we usually named buildings and such with the last name of the person being honoured, we now include the whole name. It feels like just one part of the 'dumbing-down' of society. I'll take "Schulich School" over "Edward S. Rogers Sr. School" any day.

The University will build and operate a new facility in addition to the existing Recreation and Sports Centre (RAC) and students will be able to use both facilities for a single mandatory fee.

Oh, how I'd love to see Maple Leaf Gardens serve as Ryerson's new sports facility.

It saddens me that while in the past we usually named buildings and such with the last name of the person being honoured, we now include the whole name. It feels like just one part of the 'dumbing-down' of society. I'll take "Schulich School" over "Edward S. Rogers Sr. School" any day.

Amen to that! They even tried to win us over with very awkward looking t-shirts bearing the full name of the department in, needless to say, very small type and "ECE" stylized as a phallic logic gate as if to drive the point home.

Ted Rogers also gave the convocation speech that year.

It's funny because it often ends up being counterintuitive.

At Ryerson there is a building called the "Sally Horsfall Eaton Centre (for Studies in Community Health)". However, EVERYONE calls it the "She Building". If you polled students, I would expect that practically no one would have any idea what the SHE stood for.

However, if they just called it the "Sally Eaton Centre", I would expect people to call it "Sally Eaton" or "Eaton building".

Trying to achieve immortality by having nice big things named after you can sometimes misfire badly - witness what happened to the once lovely Tanenbaum Atrium at the AGO after Gehry monkeyed with it.

... and then there's the scruffy WILLIA DENNISON APARTMENTS at Dundas and Sherbourne.

Dr. Herman Herzog Levy had the right idea when he left the ROM $15 million to spend within five years on East Asian art, rather than having something named after him. Of course the ROM still named a gallery after him, many years later.

Getting off topic, but my favourites are not Ted Rogers' penchant for naming stuff after him or his company that bears his name, but hospitals.

Mount Sinai - not only that everything is named for someone, even "wings" that never existed before, but that soon after the emergency department was named for Gerry Schwartz and his wife Heather Reisman, the ladies auxillary gift shop/book store was replaced by an Indigo.

Then there's the old wing of Sick Kids named for Conrad Black (Black Family Foundation Wing).

But my personal favourite is that there's a hospital here in Toronto that has the Brian Mulroney Family Endoscopy Department - where tubes are sent down your throat or up your rectum - perfect!

Back