News   May 31, 2024
 420     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 572     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 382     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

Wider sidewalks, trees (using that underground gridding system for healthy root growth like up on Bloor Street), improved light standards, BIKE LANES - couldn't agree more!

Bike lanes maybe ...
Everything else for sure!

It's going to be very hard to widen lanes and introduce bike lanes.

Moreover I think if we had decent bike lines on Bay and Church that would suffice - North / South at least.

Probably been mentioned before but on the topic of widening sidewalks etc I'd suggest first sectioning off (i.e. closing to traffic) the right turn lane at Gerrard (on Yonge) and putting in planters and tables etc. Instant public space. They did it on Broadway, around Times Square, and it's great.

And, outlining a path (paving stone etc.) from that same intersection down through the pedestrian pathway just east of Yonge (through Ryerson). Similarly, the main courtyard needs to be better marked for tourists and citizens alike to enjoy as public space.

Last edited:
A couple pictures of the SAM'S deconstruction.

dsc01362kx6.jpg

dsc01361jj9.jpg

dsc01360ci7.jpg

Ryerson admessions are 10% from High School students and 19% from other groups, overall 11%.

UFT is up 15%...

The Downtown Universities are growing like crazy and considering the economy, admissions will likely rise further.

I live in the pantages at victoria/shuter and used to live up on grenville st. The amount of pedestrian traffic on young is pretty incredible year round, and in the summer it is unmanageable. It is one of the few places where the sidewalks are so crowded that safety becomes an issue. I have seen a few people get more or less squeezed on to the street.

The street-level retailers/restaurants are gimey but have variety from dundas up to bloor., it really is one of the most "dynamic" parts of the city. I hated it when I first moved here but it wins you over. I remember visiting the area as a tourist as well a decade ago and it is the one part that really feels like a city.

I don't see why Younge needs to be a car artery. If younge was squeezed to 2 lanes then cars would just get pushed east and west. Jarvis is under utilized for a big portion of the day as well as parliament and sherborne. Younge is full of stop lights, jaywalkers and long lines of cars, it is also worth pointing out that the parking is so bad along younge and the subway service so good that it is unrealistic to use your car to go and shop or anything. With criscrossing streetcars, subways and bus routes, younge is pedestrian heaven. . .. until it is too crowded to do anything.

Go 2 lanes, make it safe and make it comfortable for people to shop and enjoy the downtown.

Thank you. I am not the only one who thinks this for Yonge.

My dream for Yonge is single traffic both ways. Those extra two lanes claimed will have 2/3 go to sidewalks and 1/3 go to bike lanes.

If you look at the numbers, Yonge St is a pedestrian artery, not a car artery, how much longer do the walkers in the city need to get squeezed between signs, and cars?

Why is there 4 lanes of traffic on Yonge? Single lane will reduce speed. On a pedestrian artery, that is a good thing. People should not be going 60 kmph on Yonge, but they do.

I live in the pantages at victoria/shuter and used to live up on grenville st. The amount of pedestrian traffic on young is pretty incredible year round, and in the summer it is unmanageable. It is one of the few places where the sidewalks are so crowded that safety becomes an issue. I have seen a few people get more or less squeezed on to the street.

The street-level retailers/restaurants are gimey but have variety from dundas up to bloor., it really is one of the most "dynamic" parts of the city. I hated it when I first moved here but it wins you over. I remember visiting the area as a tourist as well a decade ago and it is the one part that really feels like a city.

I don't see why Younge needs to be a car artery. If younge was squeezed to 2 lanes then cars would just get pushed east and west. Jarvis is under utilized for a big portion of the day as well as parliament and sherborne. Younge is full of stop lights, jaywalkers and long lines of cars, it is also worth pointing out that the parking is so bad along younge and the subway service so good that it is unrealistic to use your car to go and shop or anything. With criscrossing streetcars, subways and bus routes, younge is pedestrian heaven. . .. until it is too crowded to do anything.

Go 2 lanes, make it safe and make it comfortable for people to shop and enjoy the downtown.
Please, please learn to spell the street name properly. For someone who lives so close to the street, you would think you'd know how to spell it!

Ryerson admessions are 10% from High School students and 19% from other groups, overall 11%.

UFT is up 15%...

The Downtown Universities are growing like crazy and considering the economy, admissions will likely rise further.

York was the biggest loser among the universities that were part of the survey.
I don't blame the applicants....so many of my friends from York are complaining about the current situation there.

btw, OCAD was the only institution that had higher growth in applications than Ryerson.

According to someone who I know was/is close to the project, or at least sitting on the jury for this project - this may or may not already be known, but that initial rendering that was put out, was more or less just a place-holder rendering of what it could be:

ryerson_29Jan08.jpg

There was/is to be a RFP/competition to determine the final design. Now, I am not sure if what this person was referring to has already taken place, but when he mentioned to me that this "process is ongoing," I assumed he meant that there is stuff happening in the background that will ultimately be released at the appropriate time..

p5

Last edited:
Even if that KPMB proposal doesn't get built as rendered, the construction of a tall (10-15) storey building at that intersection will provide some visual interest to that strip of Yonge street. I feel that that strip of Yonge street suffers from being a bit too low slung. Just the addition of a bulky building there will beef up the street, considerably.

According to someone who I know was/is close to the project, or at least sitting on the jury for this project - this may or may not already be known, but that initial rendering that was put out, was more or less just a place-holder rendering of what it could be:

There was/is to be a RFP/competition to determine the final design. Now, I am not sure if what this person was referring to has already taken place, but when he mentioned to me that this "process is ongoing," I assumed he meant that there is stuff happening in the background that will ultimately be released at the appropriate time..

p5

Thats been known since the rendering was released. Every single thing from the master plan is just a vision. I think I stated this earlier on in the thread too.

The building is still in the design stages as demolition progresses.

When passing by the Engineering building, I always keep imagining what it would look like if Calatrava's proposal was realised. As a fan of his architecture, I think the tower component would have looked awesome and imposing when approaching Church St. along Goud. Moreover, it would have provided enough space for all engineering classes.

As it stands now, due to the lack of sufficient space some first and second year classes are held in Kerr Hall and the RCC, not to mention the AMC classrooms that became available this semester. Too bad Ryerson wasn't as forward-thinking at the time, regardless of the complaints by residents in the building behind that the said structure would block their views.

BTW, Sheldon Levy wants something along the lines of the Seattle public library in place of Sam's. At least, thats what was mentioned in an article of 'The Eyeopener' last year.

Last edited:
Tuscanio1: thanks for pointing that out - if you noticed in my post, i mentioned the fact that it may, or may not be already known - so my post is redundant.

Well, let's hope that if Levy truly wants something like the Seattle public library that they will have to be willing to pay for it - not to mention look beyond the typical few architects that so often end up in the final rounds of our competitions.

p5

Back