News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4.1K     5 

Rogers/City receives new 24-hour News Channel License

I really miss the old City/Much/CP24 family. CTV seems pretty soulless to me somehow. And I will never watch such crap as eTalk, Star or whatever tripe they're feeding the masses.

Nothing that Rogers has done would suggest that though. My ears tell me that City is going to be re-positioned as a female-centric station. Basically, an over-the-air version" of cable channels like Diva, etc.

This doesn't surprise me, as it seems that women are the only people left who really watch a lot of TV.

true the only weekly show I watch is House and Mad Men...

My sisters and female cousins watch over a dozen shows.

Guys still watch the discover channel but even that channel is slowly heading the way the TLC. What a dump that channel became.

Canadian Learning Television is now another female-centric channel called "Viva." Apparently they are still all about learning according to their brass, but their schedule would suggest otherwise...

http://www.myviva.ca/schedule.aspx

We now have W, Cosmo, Viva, Diva, Slice (among others) competing for the Sex & The City Crowd (and hey, I like Sex & The City, but still).

Last edited:
And that was after they ruined Access Television in Alberta, which used to be their TVO.

When CHUM first bought Access, it kept the educational format, they ended up putting some syndicated programs, but now after CTV took over, with the exception of the name, there is absolutely nothing 'educational' about it. It's basically the 'A' schedule.

Canadian Learning Television is now another female-centric channel called "Viva." Apparently they are still all about learning according to their brass, but their schedule would suggest otherwise...

http://www.myviva.ca/schedule.aspx

We now have W, Cosmo, Viva, Diva, Slice (among others) competing for the Sex & The City Crowd (and hey, I like Sex & The City, but still).

i find alot of these centric channels are condescending. be it spike tv, W, bet, etc. they try to instill a belief in their viewers that "this is how you should act and do because you belong to this group."

also, i remember when you could watch TLC and learning important things from people like bob villa, norm abrams (from this old house, new yankee workshop, home again), dean johnson, joanne liebeler, robin hartl (from hometime) joe l'erario, ed feldman (from the furniture guys), etc.

now all tlc has is a bunch of watered down DIY shows that focus more on how to improve your relationships and inner self while doing things around the house than on how to actually do something.

god forbid you'd actually learn something useful on TV for free these days.

Rogers unveils CityNews Channel, fall lineup & debut of ‘Canada’s Got Talent’

Citytv said:
CityNews Channel will be available to digital cable subscribers this October and will feature an enriched and interactive screen format. More details will be released closer to launch.

The newscast at 5pm will also return, Monday to Friday, on Citytv Toronto.

Separately, the “Canada’s Got Talent†team will fan out across the country in the coming months looking for amazing acts. The host, judges and audition dates will be announced shortly.

“Much more than a singing or dancing competition, Canada’s Got Talent will showcase the top acts from magicians to jugglers, contortionists to fire eaters, singers and dancers – anything goes,†Rogers said in its announcement.

The Canadian version of the show, licensed from Freemantle Media and co-produced by Rogers and Insight Entertainment, will premiere next spring on Citytv.

Another addition to Citytv in 2012 will be Secret Millionaire Canada. Based on the British hit series, in which millionaires temporarily give up their luxuries to live in impoverished communities and then give away thousands of their own dollars to the needy.

Great to see them putting themselves back together. And I like that they are doing more "local" TV, even if I don't necessarily find their premise interesting.

CityNews dumped after 20 months!!!

From the Globe and Mail, at this link:

Rogers Communications Inc. is pulling the plug on its specialty CityNews channel after 20 months of operation.

Scott Moore, president of broadcast at the Rogers Media division, announced the decision to immediately shut down the channel on Thursday.

He also said Rogers is ending the English-language South Asian newscast as well as production operations in Alberta.

“Today, we made changes to the company’s television strategy to reflect evolving viewer habits and the global structural shift in advertising,” he said in a statement.

The new strategy is to focus news resources in Toronto on Rogers’ 24-hour news radio station 680News as well as its CityNews on City television program, he said.

The changes will affect 2.5 per cent of the broadcast unit’s work force, he said.

Reports say 62 jobs will be lost.

“While difficult, these changes enable us to continue to focus our efforts where we know the market is growing, while helping us to effectively manage our costs,” said Mr. Moore.

Rogers launched CityNews in October of 2011, drawing on resources and personalities from other media properties such as 680News, Sportsnet, Maclean’s magazine and MoneySense.

CityNews borrowed the 680News radio format, with regular traffic, weather, sports and business updates throughout the day.

The federal broadcast regulator granted Rogers the license for CityNews in late 2008.

Don't think it has anything to do with Rob Ford, allegedly.

Back