News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 456     0 

Rob Ford's Transit plan

Seriously, who do they have making George Smitherman's (or any candidaite's) official transit plan maps? The blatant errors bother me because it suggests that people aren't even familiar with the city they are campaigning in.

The prospect of local stops on the ARL is interesting, but I suspect that the dots are simply a mistake like all the other errors on the maps.

(Forgive the large image) From georgesmitherman.ca:

transitmapcompare.png

Last edited:
Who made these? LOL @ 8 stops between Finch West and York University. In reality, there's 0.

For the record, the stops on the Spadina extension are:
- Downsview
- Sheppard West
- Finch West
- York University
- Steeles West
- Highway 7

Who made these? LOL @ 8 stops between Finch West and York University. In reality, there's 0.

For the record, the stops on the Spadina extension are:
- Downsview
- Sheppard West
- Finch West
- York University
- Steeles West
- Highway 7

Maybe he could use some of the money he blew on eHealth to hire someone who actually knows how to make maps, instead of just stealing them from the TTC website.

Both Ford's map and Smitherman's map show a "Scarborough Subway", yet both use the SRT alignment, which the general consensus around here is that it wouldn't work.

Smitherman's forgets to show the transfer the Sheppard East LRT will force.

If we combined their plans I'd be happier:

Take the Eglinton and Finch LRTs from Smitherman's plan

and the Sheppard East Subway from Ford's plan

and the Sheppard West Subway and Scarborough Subways from both their plans.

Are those really their respective plans? I can't seem to access those images going the regular route (of clicking links on his site). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thomson never seemed very Conservative in her campaign, though. In fact, her platform was probably the most progressive platform of any candidate.
The only conservative part of her campaign is money management, balancing the city's budget and making the city more efficient. Other than that, she definitely is the most progressive candidate out there, basically exactly what the city needs.

But at least if we got Smitherman, we'd be off to a good start and civic engagement could give the public an extension of what kind of vision for the city they have.

Both Ford's map and Smitherman's map show a "Scarborough Subway", yet both use the SRT alignment, which the general consensus around here is that it wouldn't work.

Smitherman's forgets to show the transfer the Sheppard East LRT will force.

If we combined their plans I'd be happier:

Take the Eglinton and Finch LRTs from Smitherman's plan

and the Sheppard East Subway from Ford's plan

and the Sheppard West Subway and Scarborough Subways from both their plans.
I'd say that transit should just be seen as a separate issue. Thompson's plan definitely makes the most sense (including her funding strategy,) but other than that no candidate's plan is perfect, and will just need to take the more ordinary citizens pestering council, the TTC, and Metrolinx to get the plan turned around. All we really need right now is a candidate who is progressively thinking.

I drafted this subway map by comparing the 2 platforms (Smitherman and Ford). It gives us a better representation of what would be built by both candidates and which lines are candidate-specific.

Mayoral.jpg

I drafted this subway map by comparing the 2 platforms (Smitherman and Ford). It gives us a better representation of what would be built by both candidates and which lines are candidate-specific.

Mayoral.jpg

You forgot the Eglinton Crosstown which would be a subway that will be using light rail vehicles. Ford would cancel it, while Smitherman would continue it. In fact, Ford is so anti-transit, he would stop all light rail and streetcars.

Last edited:
You forgot the Eglinton Crosstown which would be a subway that will be using light rail vehicles. Ford would cancel it, while Smitherman would continue it. In fact, Ford is so anti-transit, he would stop all light rail and streetcars.

I would include the Eglinton line on a subway map because a good portion of it is grade-separated. I'd probably put the underground portion in a solid line, and the above-ground portions in unfilled lines. Not dashed lines, unfilled lines. But it is a big difference between the Ford and Smitherman plans. I don't think Ford plans an Eglinton subway does he?

Has Ford taken an official position on the Eglinton Line? That's why I left it out.

His position is that he would fund his plan by cancelling Transit City (i.e. Eglinton Line) and the Viva BRT in York Region. The latter is included in the $4.7b figure he keeps throwing around. He's ignoring people who've told him the figure includes a big project in York Region, and that he can't cancel projects in York Region.

Back