News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 455     0 

Rob Ford's Transit plan

And they all know it will have to happen if the province pushes the Yonge extension ... so why waste the energy fighting for something that's going to be given to you ... at least for Phase 1.
Assuming it's going to be built (and "given" no less) doesn't strike me as being very wise. And, unlikely as it may appear to be, what if the province pushes a Yonge extension far into the future or abandons it altogether?

Nothing is a given when it comes to transit funding in this city. Especially when it's not planned and there's no funding for it.

Assuming it's going to be built (and "given" no less) doesn't strike me as being very wise. And, unlikely as it may appear to be, what if the province pushes a Yonge extension far into the future or abandons it altogether?
Then I expect the belief is that it still won't buy you much support, at least from outer 416.

Which may be a mistake, given that the much higher turnout downtown mitigates somewhat the plurality of votes outside of downtown; and a DRL that extends to Eglinton both ends, starts to look good for some of the inner suburbs as well, and even those in North York and Scarborough who would see less crowding on the Yonge and Bloor/Danforth lines, especially when the change trains. It's a shame someone doesn't try and sell that one ...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-in-toronto-mayoral-race-poll/article1729126/

A survey of 400 Toronto voters released Monday evening found Rob Ford leading with 28 per cent, compared with 23 per cent for his closest rival George Smitherman and 10 per cent for third-place candidate Joe Pantalone. Sarah Thomson and Rocco Rossi were tied, with seven per cent of respondents.

Significantly, this latest Ipsos-Reid poll indicates that if it was just down to the former deputy premier and the grandiloquent Etobicoke councillor, Mr. Smitherman would win – 48 per cent of respondents said they’d vote for him, compared with 45 per cent who said they’d vote for Mr. Ford if the Oct. 25 election were held today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-in-toronto-mayoral-race-poll/article1729126/

A survey of 400 Toronto voters released Monday evening found Rob Ford leading with 28 per cent, compared with 23 per cent for his closest rival George Smitherman and 10 per cent for third-place candidate Joe Pantalone. Sarah Thomson and Rocco Rossi were tied, with seven per cent of respondents.

Significantly, this latest Ipsos-Reid poll indicates that if it was just down to the former deputy premier and the grandiloquent Etobicoke councillor, Mr. Smitherman would win – 48 per cent of respondents said they’d vote for him, compared with 45 per cent who said they’d vote for Mr. Ford if the Oct. 25 election were held today.

So the question now is, who do Rossi, Pantalone, and Thomson dislike more? If the answer is Rob Ford, then their best play is to drop out of the race and pledge their support to Smitherman. If their answer is Smitherman (which I doubt it is), then they should stay in. If we see a couple drop outs in the next couple weeks, we'll have our answer...

If the answer is Rob Ford, then their best play is to drop out of the race and pledge their support to Smitherman.
I think that's true for Pantalone. I'm not sure that all Thomson's support would go to Smitherman; she's a Conservative, and some of her vote would go to Ford. Rossi ... who knows ...

I think that's true for Pantalone. I'm not sure that all Thomson's support would go to Smitherman; she's a Conservative, and some of her vote would go to Ford. Rossi ... who knows ...

Thomson never seemed very Conservative in her campaign, though. In fact, her platform was probably the most progressive platform of any candidate.

Thomson never seemed very Conservative in her campaign, though. In fact, her platform was probably the most progressive platform of any candidate.
I guess that makes her Progressive Conservative.

Look what Davis and Robarts did for transit in Toronto ... they were Progressive Conservative too.

And then there's Rossi, who seems more Tory than Thomson. Bizarre campaign.

True. I'm just going based on the debates, the last one seemed very 'everyone vs Ford'. It seems that at this point a lot of the votes for other candidates are not necessarily votes FOR that candidate, but votes AGAINST Ford. I think a lot of people who are miffed and how Ford could even be considered for Mayor have adopted an ABF (Anyone But Ford) mentality.

You always have all the opponents gang up on the perceived leader - it does not necessarily mean they are all anti-Ford - just opportunists (i.e. politicians).

Alright all of you. Please keep the discussions of polls and general election talk to the mayoral race thread in Toronto Issues. This thread is specifically dedicated to the candidates' transit plans.

Rob Ford demonstrates how important transit is to his vision for Toronto by shrugging his shoulders and saying, "Okay, whatever."

Mr. Ford repeated that if the province doesn’t see things his way and agree to transfer the already-committed $3.7-billion to his vision for subways rather than Transit City, the plan wouldn’t happen. He added that if it’s too expensive for the city to renege on contracts with Bombardier, they would just stick to the current plan.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...tform-puts-numbers-to-savings/article1729433/

At least it doesn't sound like he'd try and stop the current plans in place if he can't get his way, thankfully, ..hopefully... ah, who knows...

Well, he's also still claiming it's $3.7B, even though he has been told literally dozens of times that nearly $800M of that is for VIVA. I would take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Ironically, Toronto might actually get more subways with Smitherman than with Ford.

Smitherman, at least, might try to deliver on his promises to extend Danforth to STC and Sheppard to Downsview, as well as expand the grade-separate section of Eglinton LRT. For Ford, transit is not a priority.

Back