News   Jul 15, 2024
 282     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 427     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Rob Ford's Transit plan

Aren't there currently UTurns for cars planned to be built in to the system already, like on St Clair?

Where, specifically, would you have the above-ground section running between Bayview and Brentcliffe?

Where, specifically, would you have the above-ground section running west of Dufferin?

Have you seen those streets in person?

What do you think the average stop spacing is now in the planned for tunneled section?

What do you think the underground station length is in the current plans?

Are you aware that in the highest demand portion of the line (underground 12km) that they will be able to use ATC and cross-over tracks to turn back trains, thereby significantly increasing frequencies where they are needed most?

I mean UTurns where the train is submerged while entering an underpass so they could UTurn just before the light.
The Eglinton should average at least 1 km thru the entire route not just underground. It should be a transferless line right across the city. If it goes just to Kennedy then it's not a cross town route no more than Bloor/Danforth is. I understood the stations were 100 metres but I was stating it noting that at grade stations only need be 70 metres for now. Toronto could have a complete LRT cross town route that would actually be fast by simply making sure that where there is not an at grade station there is no cross section. It could easily done by moving the funding from Finch to Eglinton.
The Sheppard line should be stopped immediatly. It must get to STC with again fewer stops and no stopping unless for an at grad3e station.
TC can be salvaged into a rapid transit system if they would set priorities.
Miller tried to convince people that you can have local service that is also rapid on the street. By trying to satisfy everyone no one gets served well.
It's not to late to make TC a true Light Rapid Transit service as opposed to a streetcar.

I mean UTurns where the train is submerged while entering an underpass so they could UTurn just before the light.

Maybe I'm just slow, but I don't know what this is describing. Surely you aren't talking about UTurns by the bi-directional trains, are you?

I presume you are also aware of the plan for dealing with car traffic left turns at pretty well all surface station intersections? (Hint - they won't have a left turn lane and the LRT won't be waiting for left turning cars.)

The Eglinton should average at least 1 km thru the entire route not just underground.

There are many bus routes currently serving Eglinton, both east and west. How are you planning to accommodate the large number of passengers who use stops positioned in between your 1km spacing? Or are you going to market the line by telling customers they'll have to walk an additional 400 - 500m to get to a stop?

I understood the stations were 100 metres but I was stating it noting that at grade stations only need be 70 metres for now.

How long do you think the at-grade stations are currently planned to be?

Toronto could have a complete LRT cross town route that would actually be fast by simply making sure that where there is not an at grade station there is no cross section. It could easily done by moving the funding from Finch to Eglinton.

Again with the 'easily done' line. Anyone who insists that anything relating to transit planning and construction can be 'easily done' obviously doesn't understand all the competing factors involved and leads one to be very suspect that they know anything of which they speak.

Miller tried to convince people that you can have local service that is also rapid on the street. By trying to satisfy everyone no one gets served well.

You try very hard to give the impression you haven't really looked at the actual plans for the line and rather are commenting based on your own guesses.

What do you think the planned sub-surface route speed will be?

What do you think the planned surface route speed will be?

What do you think the current subway speed is for the existing lines?

(Hint, these are net speeds, including time spent slowing down and stopping at stations.)

What do you think the average car speed is along the Eglinton LRT route is right now given traffic and lights? Wouldn't anything faster be considered 'rapid' by customers and potential customers?

The Toronto Transit Commission and GO Transit has the highest farebox recovery ratios in North America. That is the proportion of the amount of revenue generated through fares by its paying customers as a fraction of the cost of its total operating expenses, for those who don't know the lingo. Yes, it could be improved, but how can it be done without reducing the ridership? Ridership went down with the downloading in the 1990's, when they reduced service, cut cleaning, and other cost cutting to try to save money. Passengers want better service, passengers want cleaner vehicles and stations, passengers don't want cars causing traffic congestion, but that costs money. That comes from the farebox and from subsidies from the government (today mostly the city). Since the TTC has already one of the highest farebox ratio in North America, which large city does Rob Ford have in North America to compare with that has a better ratio?

The Toronto Transit Commission and GO Transit has the highest farebox recovery ratios in North America. That is the proportion of the amount of revenue generated through fares by its paying customers as a fraction of the cost of its total operating expenses, for those who don't know the lingo. Yes, it could be improved, but how can it be done without reducing the ridership? Ridership went down with the downloading in the 1990's, when they reduced service, cut cleaning, and other cost cutting to try to save money. Passengers want better service, passengers want cleaner vehicles and stations, passengers don't want cars causing traffic congestion, but that costs money. That comes from the farebox and from subsidies from the government (today mostly the city). Since the TTC has already one of the highest farebox ratio in North America, which large city does Rob Ford have in North America to compare with that has a better ratio?

And that is why any pro-transit stance should be focusing on getting the Provincial and Federal governments back to funding transit agencies operations and not on individual project planning which does noting but give politicians a chance to pose for the camera a project openings.

I never said they didn't "support" it. But they were in power. It was their responsibility to push it through. Instead, they pushed Transit City through. DRL is an afterthought, and it's only brought up now that studies are underway for the Yonge Subway extension north.

If Mayor Miller had been the Mayor of Old Toronto then I suspect the DRL would have been his priority. However, as Transit City shows, these two downtown based politicians didn't take the fact they were there to serve the whole of Metro lightly. Transit City is a plan for those who believe that every part of the city deserves something more than a bus.

If Mayor Miller had been the Mayor of Old Toronto then I suspect the DRL would have been his priority. However, as Transit City shows, these two downtown based politicians didn't take the fact they were there to serve the whole of Metro lightly. Transit City is a plan for those who believe that every part of the city deserves something more than a bus.

A flawed plan with noble intentions is still a flawed plan.

It is only a flawed plan if you accept Transit City as the final product. When the DRL does get built the lines created as part of Transit City will still be there and the combined service will be better than the DRL alone. The DRL is going to get built out of necessity as long as the downtown continues to grow. The other lines don't have the same pressures and the routes are meant to spur development more than handle overload.

That's only if you accept as some kind of foregone conclusion that the DRL is going to be built. Personally I wouldn't count on it until there's a shovel in the ground. At this point, the EA hasn't started yet, there's no route determined, and there's no funding for it. I'd believe in it a lot more if there was a mayoral candidate who was its champion. I think it's rather silly to build superfluous lines that do nothing but overload the current subway network when the DRL is vastly more important than all of the TC lines combined. It's a political farce that has resulted in this situation. And if we should blame anyone, it should be those on city council that killed the DRL years ago because they thought development downtown was a bad thing.

Tried to comment on RobFordToronto's youtube video but was blocked after I clicked the dislike hand. Must not like negative comments. I guess that will be what we'll expect from him as mayor, his handlers will block those who disagree with him.

Wonder if I should try a pseudonym.

You should go on Ford Facebook page as I have seen a few people post negative comments over the past couple of weeks without being kicked off his page

Then there a Ford supporter who is constantly chirping that he has a planning degree & that subways should replace all streetcars. Another urban planner who has no idea what he/she is doing

If you replace the existing streetcars with buses for peak time only, it will
cost an extra $226,915,342.84 over 30 years to provide service.

To replace the existing streetcar fleet, you will need 279 buses and an extra
500 workers.

Headway on King St using buses will be 1.05 minute.

Back