News   Jul 15, 2024
 116     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Rob Ford's Transit plan

It's a web poll on TheStar.com. The fact that the reactionary right-wing position is losing is shocking - these things are normally overrun by the same sorts of trolls who populate the comment threads.

Thomson's plans is the best and she gets my vote. Her plan is realistic despite her numbers being a little bit of (like every other candidates). At least the money comes from somewhere and not out of a magic hat.

I think Thomsons plan is the best to. HOWEVER it WILL be a WASTED vote. So Smitherman is the likely candidate to challenge FORD so hell get my vote. I think anyone who is serious about transit should be voting SMITHERMAN. If we all devide our votes up then FORD will deffinately win. I THINK THAT IS THE LAST THING WE WANT.

I think Thomsons plan is the best to. HOWEVER it WILL be a WASTED vote. So Smitherman is the likely candidate to challenge FORD so hell get my vote. I think anyone who is serious about transit should be voting SMITHERMAN. If we all devide our votes up then FORD will deffinately win. I THINK THAT IS THE LAST THING WE WANT.

+1

I wasn't aware that the Sheppard stretches of Downsview Station to Yonge and Don Mills to Victoria Park were annexed by Scarborough.
The only stations on extensions that wouldn't be in Scarborough are at Consumers Road - 650 metres from Scarborough ... and those 3 near Bathurst/Sheppard. The clear benificary of this is Scarborough, other than the 4 km in North York.

Pedantry aside - the point is that he has proposed 2 subways for the citizens of Scarborough - and precious little for anyone else. Even though the proposed DRL and Eglinton lines both have much higher use.

Yeah I guess we are at precisely at that point. Down to two candidates with any real chance of winning, and amongst the two, Smitherman is clearly better for transit.

Yeah I guess we are at precisely at that point. Down to two candidates with any real chance of winning, and amongst the two, Smitherman is clearly better for transit.
The election doesn't really kick off until September; we haven't seen a poll yet. We've had pre-September polls in past elections where the front-runner at the time of the poll wasn't even in the top-2 by election day, and didn't even get double digits in the final vote.

I can't imagine Rob Ford will finish 2nd ... well unless it's something like 60% 15% 10% 10% 5% ...

I'd vote for who you think is the best candidate ... the situation isn't dire!

The only stations on extensions that wouldn't be in Scarborough are at Consumers Road - 650 metres from Scarborough ... and those 3 near Bathurst/Sheppard. The clear benificary of this is Scarborough, other than the 4 km in North York.

Pedantry aside - the point is that he has proposed 2 subways for the citizens of Scarborough - and precious little for anyone else. Even though the proposed DRL and Eglinton lines both have much higher use.

IIRC Miller and Giambrone never proposed nor ran a campaign on building the DRL. Whatever happened to that pro-DRL group anyway? If it still exists, it should be backing the one candidate who actually supports the DRL, i.e. Sarah Thomson.

IIRC Miller and Giambrone never proposed nor ran a campaign on building the DRL.
They never campaigned on it. They've both talked about it. They've talked about not starting it until 2018 when Transit City was completed. They are both aware that it's in Metrolinx's big move. And presumably Giambrone and Miller are both complicit in the current TTC study to look expanding rapid transit downtown ... the DTRES.

Thomson does indeed support it. She seems to have some pretty neo-con ideas though. I'm not sure I could ever vote for someone who wants to privatize the libraries, no matter how good their transit plan is. And she does have some issues in her transit plan; she proposed building not one, but two subways to Scarborough Centre ... that seems to be a gross mis-use of money.

The real race will begin when one or two of the smaller contenders inevitably pull out and throw their weight to one of the other candidates. Not all of his/her support will go to the prefered candidate but most will and those who don't will probably waste their ballot intentionally.
If Smitherman does end up winning the reality is that your transit system in 5 years will be no better than it is today.

If Smitherman does end up winning the reality is that your transit system in 5 years will be no better than it is today.
Surely it doesn't matter who ends up winning ... nothing that isn't on the table right now would be ready in 5 years anyway. I suppose someone could expedite an already approved project ... buy beyond that.

Still with Smitherman's plan, the Sheppard East RT would surely be open by 2015, as would the Spadina subway extension (amazingly no candidate has been dumb enough to cancel that one yet!) . And the Eglinton RT would be well under construction.

That's surely better than we have today!

They never campaigned on it. They've both talked about it. They've talked about not starting it until 2018 when Transit City was completed. They are both aware that it's in Metrolinx's big move. And presumably Giambrone and Miller are both complicit in the current TTC study to look expanding rapid transit downtown ... the DTRES.

Thomson does indeed support it. She seems to have some pretty neo-con ideas though. I'm not sure I could ever vote for someone who wants to privatize the libraries, no matter how good their transit plan is. And she does have some issues in her transit plan; she proposed building not one, but two subways to Scarborough Centre ... that seems to be a gross mis-use of money.

You don't see a problem with waiting until 2018 to start the DRL?

As for "two subways to STC", I don't see a problem with that. It's not like they're both going to be built overnight. The Danforth line is only two stops away from STC anyway. As for the Sheppard line, I'd be happy with any plan that cancels the Sheppard East LRT.

Back