647     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 462     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 331     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Bill Blair personally signed Rob Fords police records check in Sept 2012?
What about all the calls to his house concerning spousal abuse?
Drug connections? DUI Convictions?

What was he thinking?

With respect, we do have the presumption of innocence in this country. No criminal record is no criminal record. And he has no DUI convictions in Canada.

Presumption of innocence is one thing, but a police chief who has information and still FAST TRACKS an application is maybe a bit questionable, no?

With respect, we do have the presumption of innocence in this country. No criminal record is no criminal record. And he has no DUI convictions in Canada.

not quite true; the Star did a series on the issue of people flunking background checks and having careers ruined over contact with police, untried charges, even calling 911. City of Toronto is especially bad with this as it also releases info on psych incidents (ever have a suicide attempt where the cops were called? One woman was kept from the US because of a suicide attempt a decade earlier as the police release these records to the US).

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/05/17/no_charges_no_trial_but_presumed_guilty.html

ETA - you or I would not pass the check with the problems Ford had (notably numerous domestic calls), but the Chief did him a favour because he didn't want to rock the boat.

Last edited:
Different police departments have different policies on what will be released. Here is Toronto's. http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/prcp/

At the time that Bosco did the check, Rob probably wasn't involved in a major criminal investigation. He might not get such a clean police check record now.

The Clearance Letter (http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/recordsmanagement/clearance.php) only includes convictions and it specifically states it shouldn't be used for situations involving vulnerable people (which would include students).

Presumption of innocence is one thing, but a police chief who has information and still FAST TRACKS an application is maybe a bit questionable, no?

And if he did that, you'd think Rob would have been nicer to him. :p

The email chain around the angry Holy Rosary parishioner is interesting.

1. On p.368 the writer's name is only partially blocked. Looks like something along the lines of Paul My****r. Can't see anything matching on the holy rosary website, the political contributions registry or 411. Also, what's on the second sig line - starts with a T.

sig.png

2. On p.364 they say that "Maria" was behind the leaks. Who is Maria?

Attachments

• sig.png
    sig.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 801
The DUI was in Florida. Unfortunately, Rob has not been convicted of anything. Records checks don't show things like "he hangs out with friends with drug connections" or "there are a lot of 911 calls to his house".

Except apparently they do, according to a recent Star investigation. One guy had to drop out of nursing school because he worked at a comic book store that was raided 20 years earlier - charges dismissed. Another guy applied to be a fire fighter was rejected by his "non-clean" background check that said he associated with a drug dealer. The dealer was a friend, the fire fighter candidate was not involved with drugs, but he was rejected anyway. Several other people report similar results due to 911 calls during family arguments or moments of personal crisis.

Here's one of the articles: http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/05/17/i_had_no_idea.html It's been a while since I read them, but IIRC, the type of information given out by the police is up to them and is not consistent from one jurisdiction to another.

Here's another: http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/05/17/i_had_no_idea.html

ETA: Beat me to it!:)

Last edited:

I'm with you. All the calls to the house by Police and Paramedics. Reports that include drug use. Reports that he's beating up the wife.

Bill Blair turns around and signs a document saying he is:
"satisfied that there is nothing that precludes him from working with members in the vulnerable sector"

I sure as heck wouldn't put my name on that.

Last edited:
Open Sundays till 6 pm and all other days till 11 pm. Most others close at 10 or earlier. Even the big flagship store at Summerhill closes at 10.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/store-locator

The LCBO recently made some changes to their website (note to LCBO - please fix all your stupid Food&Drink broken links), including to the store search. I think with the old store search you would have found that the Weston store is the only one in the province that is open past 10 pm (assuming no changes have been made to store hours since).

Jay Douglas performing in Council Chamber right now, the big man is up dancing. Swan song.

Ok maybe it's just my own impression here. The Globe and Star has the Don Boscoe story. CTV(?) quashed the rumor of Rofo in leading place in Forum poll. Today I was listening to some classical FM station, news snippet came on, and the guy said latest poll shows Rofo is the only candidate making any increase, he's up to 2nd place, nothing mentioned about Don Boscoe story. I know there is no one monolithic media. But jeebus christos man, what the hell.

It has been mentioned that it's not necessarily about low educated voters, but low info voters. But there seems to be an unhealthy dose of low info media as well.

The station probably buys its newsfeed from a service like Canadian Press/Broadcast News. Probably rip-and-read, if it's using its own staff for news segements. CP/BN may have not had access to the documents in time whip up a report of its own in time for the report you heard. The Star/Globe may also have embargoed the RoFo coverage so they could have exclusive for the morning. Or the reader was simply hadn't picked up the new feed and was going off an old script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back