Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Badman_06.jpg

Attachments

• Badman_06.jpg
    Badman_06.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,058
I think that website is real. I'm not positive but both Rob Ford's official page and Stop the War Against Rob Ford (Neil Flagg) like the page.

680 News: Mayor Ford won’t attend annual Beaches Easter Parade

The organizers of the upcoming Beaches Easter Parade have asked politicians to stay away. Officials said they want the parade to be about community and families, and not about the hotly-contested mayoral race. Mayor Rob Ford said he’ll respect the decision and will donate the 10,000 eggs he bought to the Lakeshore Lions Club.

Were these eggs paid for by Ford, the Ford campaign, or Deco? And if they are given out, are they not a promotion for Ford?

Had a chance to chat with Joe Clark and Dalton McGuinty down here yesterday, and the topic of Ford came up. Both of them seem certain that Rob Ford is a passing thing and that it doesn't reflect much about underlying issues/trends in the Torontonian (or Canadian) electorate. Maybe this is just what they say in public, but I can't say I share in their optimism necessarily. They also suggested that people who actually care about RoFo should tell him to stop for his own sake.

And oh, as recently as a few weeks ago there are American friends/colleagues asking me "so what's up with that Rob Ford of yours". It's not brought up in every conversation, but certainly a common enough topic.

And we have a new troll, your comments would be genuine if you bothered to quote in context, but alas you haven't seen fit to do so, pity. It was a nice try though, however, you should not be discouraged, practice makes perfect.:)

Keep up the good fight, dude. I know how important your crudeness is to you.

The "win a date" was a fake, and Doug Ford is pissed (or so twitter tells me).

Probably nowhere near as pissed as Brian Mulrooney was at Frank magazine.

"The Ottawa edition of Frank received notoriety in 1991 when the magazine ran a satirical advertisement for a contest inviting young Tories to "Deflower Caroline Mulroney."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_(magazine)#Ottawa_edition

"the magazine maintained that it was commenting on Brian Mulroney's perceived habit of using his daughter as a political prop."

Last edited:
That's true, but I haven't the foggiest idea why they blame people who live here. We have nothing to do with what's reported in the media. I have upon occasion challenged people when they say "I hate Toronto!" by first asking if they've ever been there. Some haven't but the ones who have generally gripe about traffic and crowds. I think they feel a little panic when they try to drive in the city. I end up sounding the the tourism board when I tell them that they missed all the best parts.

Tribal bias promoted by ignorance?

Yes, really. Who said you need to travel to talk to people outside of Canada? There is this amazing thing called the Internet; let me tell you about it! From the comfort of your computer, people from all over the world can write to each other on these things called "message boards". You can speak to someone in the U.K., or Japan, or South America, anywhere - instantly! Although I have done my fair share of travel and I've heard some interesting perspectives about Canada during face to face interactions, most of my conversations with people outside the border is done this way. People will say the darnedest things when they think they are anonymous. ;)

Agreed.

680 News: Mayor Ford won’t attend annual Beaches Easter Parade

Were these eggs paid for by Ford, the Ford campaign, or Deco?

Very good question, but IMHO they may be the same thing, the money sure does flow in RoFo's direction from somewhere since the Bubbleheads have not gone on sale yet. One thing that was evident is that RoFo was really upset about something concerning the announcement.

The Star did an article on this two days ago - it's a province-wide thing - anyone can donate and receive a rebate across municipal lines....

Thanks. I was previously unaware of this, as this is the first election cycle where I've really been devouring every detail I could find. Here's the article: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/04/03/rob_fords_first_big_fundraiser_is_set_for_vaughan.html.

Seems to me I should register to run for Mayor, get a load of my friends to donate $300 to my campaign and then hold one hell of a taxpayer-funded party. Looking at the rules posted on the City of Toronto website, I can't see anything which would stop me from doing this. Why $300 per person? That's the best bang for your buck: after $300 the rebate formula changes from 75% to a graduating lesser amount, so that if you donate $1,000 you're only getting back around 57.5%, at $2,000 a mere 45.4% and the $1,000 rebate cap means that after around $2,300 per person you're not getting any additional money back as a rebate at all.

So yeah - who's in? If Ford can milk the gravy train in this way, I say let's follow his worthy example!

PS I'm not serious, but this was an eye-opener for me. The only thing I like is that small donations get bigger rebates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back