379     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 540     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 3K     7 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=72c5715242ccd310VgnVCM1000006cd60f89RCRD

This rebate program kinda rubs me the wrong way. Why in the world would the City rebate contributions up to a maximum of $1000? Funding civic engagement or something? I really don't think we should be paying for campaigns, whether it's Ford's or someone we like.

If there was ever a gravy train...

I agree. I'm surprised the media isn't making more of this. Ford's fundraiser is pretty egregious — collecting money in Vaughn that will be refunded by TO taxpayers. Some respect, eh? But other candidates are probably quietly benefiting from these rules, too. Yuck all round. If the city is going to maintain these generous rebates, the law should be ammended to ensure rebates only go to those eligible to vote in the election. Also, a question: Anybody know if this rebate program under municipal or provincial jurisdiction?

I agree. I'm surprised the media isn't making more of this. Ford's fundraiser is pretty egregious — collecting money in Vaughn that will be refunded by TO taxpayers. Some respect, eh? But other candidates are probably quietly benefiting from these rules, too. Yuck all round. If the city is going to maintain these generous rebates, the law should be ammended to ensure rebates only go to those eligible to vote in the election. Also, a question: Anybody know if this rebate program under municipal or provincial jurisdiction?

Dude, it's "Vaughan". Come on.

It's municipal. The cheques come from the City of Toronto. The rebate program is only for municipal elections in the City of Toronto.

When I lived in Waterloo there was no such rebate program there. You can get property tax rebates if you're an eligible charity, but that's about it.

I agree. I could NOT care less. And irregardless is not a word! What smart people we are!

Does anyone have that thatsthejoke.jpg handy? Just kidding! I'm not about to post an image after the recent image discussion, unless it is very valuable/pertinent to the thread's primary subject.

<meta warning>

So yeah, that post of mine you're referencing was aimed at r937, who is a stickler for correctitude* in all matters grammatical and has thus been the focal point of a thread in-joke about greengrocer's apostrophes and other common grammatical mistakes.

Hence a few of us sometimes deliberately scatter a handful of linguistic inexactitudes into our own posts when the subject is broached from time to time in order to amuse ourselves/set our own teeth on edge.

That's what I was doing.

Unless... wait, are you meta-meta-trolling me? Nope. Carry on. :)

</meta warning>

* Correctitude. Look it up in the liberry.

That derisive "centre of the universe" comment has never been uttered by any Torontonian that I know. I only hear it when I'm outside of the city. There is a pervasive resentment of T.O. in this country to be sure but it's based on the attention that Toronto gets, not any belief on the part of its citizens that we are better than anyone else.

And outside of Canada - people will immediately ask about Rob Ford when they learn you are Canadian. It makes me long for the days when people knew precisely zero about Canada. This is nothing to be proud of.

1. I'm Calgary-born, but lived in Toronto for 30 years. One of the reasons for the 'resentment of attention' issue is that even big city Canadians really don't grasp the concept that Greater Toronto is basically 1/5 of the country by population (if you include places that a Calgarian would call Toronto, even if a Torontonian wouldn't). There's just a lot more people doing things that get on the news (good or bad.)

2. Really? Where have you been travelling? Except for the one time when I used Ford as a specific example in a team meeting (somebody was trying to get us to use the 'open question' conversation technique by saying 'Anything else?' over and over and I cringed), I have not been asked about Ford once in my recent, pretty wide-ranging, travels.

This can't be an official page. it just can't be.

It's long past the point where it's difficult to seperate parody from reality where the Fords' behavior is concerned. I'd be inclined to think this can't be real, either; it's just so beyond the pale of any semblence of good taste...but you know, they're just gross enough to pull a stunt like this.

And they're setting up a date with Randy as a "prize?" LOL! I bet the ladies will be lining up for that one!

In Ford news: Mayor spotted this morning at the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. Let's hope he doesn't leave a fridge magnet on anyone's pacemaker while he's fishing for votes:

s3IdcvH.jpg

As he's clearly such a strong supporter of and #1 friend to the elderly, I confidently expect him to vote against them in Council at every opportunity.

Last edited:
While we wait for some development, I'll chime in on the resentment of Toronto. The rest of Canada hears incessantly about how Toronto is an economic engine. But what do we really do? Manufacturing? Barely. Financial Services? Now your talking. Banking, insurance and financial management aren't tangibly real in some sense, and rightly earn the resentment of us proles.

OK, as a banker I resemble that remark -- but I'm pretty sure that folks don't look down on London, Paris, or New York just because they're the centres of finance in their respective countries.

But you're rubbishing with no reason GTA's huge food industry, transportation and storage hub status, entertainment industry... and lots more. Toronto is the beating heart of the country (except the oil & gas industry, which is Calgary). Not bad at all.

Dude, it's "Vaughan". Come on.

Oops. Thanks for the correction. I can only claim ignorance. I'm not actually from Toronto. Moved here a few years ago from far away. I don't have much cause to go north of the city, so the region is mostly a mystery to me. Still, my mistake.

2. Really? Where have you been travelling? Except for the one time when I used Ford as a specific example in a team meeting (somebody was trying to get us to use the 'open question' conversation technique by saying 'Anything else?' over and over and I cringed), I have not been asked about Ford once in my recent, pretty wide-ranging, travels.

And yet when we were in Barbados (yes, really!) in November, not only was he all over the news, when someone asked us where we were from, and we said "Canada", at least half the time Ford's name would come up in response. We were very quick to point out we lived no where near Toronto. Sat in a restaurant in Bridgetown and there he was on the big screen TV.

(That said, this was in the wake of him admitting to smoking crack, so I think he was pretty much on the news everywhere. People we spoke to seemed rather amused by the whole thing, and our quickness to distance ourselves from him.)

Can someone ask to see the date on the receipt for Rob's eggs?

Seriously. That whole display was disgusting.

In regard to riverdale rink rat's question, when I went to NYC in February, when people found out I was from Toronto the first thing they did was ask me about Rob Ford. Some of them were from NYC, others were tourists from places like Santa Fe. It happens.

The Star did an article on this two days ago - it's a province-wide thing - anyone can donate and receive a rebate across municipal lines....

In Ford news: Mayor spotted this morning at the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. Let's hope he doesn't leave a fridge magnet on anyone's pacemaker while he's fishing for votes:

As he's clearly such a strong supporter of and #1 friend to the elderly, I confidently expect him to vote against them in Council at every opportunity.

Fire sprinklers for seniors = Gravy!

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._items_he_tried_to_shoot_down_at_council.html

Sprinklers for seniors are a no-go for the Fords

Councillor Joe Mihevc asked council to ask the premier to speed up efforts to retrofit seniors’ homes with automatic sprinklers, in view of the L’Isle Verte disaster. Rob and Doug Ford were the only nays, 40-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back