News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 677     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Star's article is really bad news:

1. The OPP was asked to provide "oversight" of the TPS's investigation, not to actually conduct the investigation itself. Now the OPP " has determined that there is no role for further investigation" (quote from OPP statement). Thus, as the overseers of the investigation, the OPP is calling it off, its rationale being that "no new information or evidence... has been provided to the OPP [ie. by the TPS investigators].

This is very bad news, considering how much new information has been made available through the execution of the Jan-Mar search warrants since the OPP assumed oversight. For example, the police obtained the detailed cellphone records from Lisi, Ford and others after the OPP came on board. The OPP statement is clearly saying that the information in these phone records does not add evidence to the investigation. In other words, nothing in the phone records or other information requested and received to date supports charges against Rob Ford -- according to the OPP. The OPP is implying that the investigation has reached a dead end.

2. The TPS is saying that the investigation is not dead and that it is ongoing. This statement will be used by the Fords as proof that the TPS is biased against them.

3. Pugwash's statement provides no comfort. It basically says that the crown and the judges who authorized the search warrants based on the ITOs "validated" the TPS's investigation. Yes they did, when the investigation had some legs. The crown was seeking more evidence against those already charged and the judges were approving the warrants so the police could gather more evidence. But -- according to the OPP -- these warrants did not get the evidence the police were looking for with respect to Ford. And now, the OPP is saying there is nothing to oversee.

4. Neither the crown nor the attorney general's office has waded in to support a continued investigation. I don't think they will, either. I disagree with MetroMan's assessment that "the crown is on side with TPS." The crown always cooperated with police re: investigation of those charged (Lisi and various others) but I seriously doubt it is "on side", especially now that the OPP has said publicly" There's nothing to see here, folks."

I can hear Doug now: "Blair asked the OPP to take over. The OPP says that Rob is the victim, there's no evidence against him and that the TPS are investigating the wrong guy. But will the TPS listen? No -- they're under orders from Blair to lynch Rob. It's a vendetta and it stinks to high heaven".

Last edited:
Blair should have been canned for his incompetence and lack of oversight for G20.

It would be fitting if his tenure as chief of police is ultimately remembered not for that fiasco but because he was outplayed by the hard-drinking, drug-using criminal mastermind duo of Ford & Lisi.

And then what - can you imagine the scenario where we will have to select another chief in the current environment (or better yet, having RoFo's hands in that process earlier)?

Anyways, I don't think the optics really mattered at this point - given the evidence out there, if you don't believe RoFo acted illegally by now, nothing else will. Charges and conviction is at the end of the day just a technicality - and if one is counting on that to sink his boat, you know what, the process wouldn't be fast enough to keep him from the election in any case.

AoD

Last edited:
Dougie Jr. today:

Was Rob Ford extorted? Doug Ford: "I don't know 100%. I guess the police know that better than we would know."

Dougie Jr. on May 22 of last year slipped up and called the guys trying to sell the crack video to the media "extortionists". Now why oh why would he call them "extortionists"?? Hmm.

[video=youtube;YHJ7FdEW7S0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHJ7FdEW7S0[/video]

Fantino. That ghoul. Man, how many stakes do you have to put in that damn Dracula? What f'ing dog does he have in this crapshow?

Vaughn has to be one of the most corrupt shit holes in the GTHA to levitate that vapid, authoritarian corpse to any semblance of political authority.

^This should be chiselled on the man's tombstone, but that would only be possible if he were capable of dying. Funny story: Fantino once proposed going halfsies with York University to buy a tank to patrol the Black Creek ravine.

eh, I think people are being way too pessimistic. If the OPP are right, then the criticism that Ford's antics lead him open to extortion get more legitimacy. Still doesn't make him look good. And the fact that he won't talk about it, or give a statement, means that it's his fault that more can't be done to get the other guys for extortion against him. Right now it's just a theory, as the OPP said, they don't have the evidence to look into it.

Anyways, it just means we're back to Rob Ford as bumbling moron rather than criminal mastermind.

Last edited:
eh, I think people are being way too pessimistic. If the OPP are right, then the criticism that Ford's antics lead him open to extortion get more legitimacy. Still doesn't make him look good. And the fact that he won't talk about it, or give a statement, means that it's his fault that more can't be done to get the other guys for extortion against him. Right now it's just a theory, as the OPP said, they don't have the evidence to look into it.

No, I think it points out what is important to him....HIM!

Rofo and Dougo just on CP24 - not looking like they are gloating or planning any "victory laps" soon - maybe the fact that the OPP is no longer in the loop for them is a VERY bad thing...

Rofo and Dougo just on CP24 - not looking like they are gloating or planning any "victory laps" soon - maybe the fact that the OPP is no longer in the loop for them is a VERY bad thing...
Why are they at CP24 instead of in Council? Where is the hardest working mayor ever? Why isn't he being the lone wolf voter against all that waste and corruption at City Hall?

Oh, never mind, they might actually be getting things done today. CP24 is welcome to him.

As according to Warren Kinsella:

What does the story mean, in which the OPP and the Toronto Police are openly fighting about the Rob Ford investigation?

1. It means there will never be any charges against Rob Ford. There’s no way the Crown can lay charges, now. There’d be no reasonable prospect of a conviction.

2. It means that, if you want Rob Ford out, you will have to do it yourself – and not wait for the media or the cops to do it for you. And the only person who can beat him, still, is Olivia Chow.

From: http://warrenkinsella.com/2014/04/w...nto-star-means/#sthash.MCvuouIi.T9iY4N3Y.dpuf

Obviously he has an agenda (being campaign manager for Chow), but these events prove that it's impossible to predict everything 100%, and curveballs can be thrown when you least expect it. The fight for city hall has just become harder, and it's no time to let your guard down.

To play the hopeless optimist again, maybe the OPP leaked this info to the press knowing that charges were imminent. They wanted to make their position clear right at the outset to cover their backsides in case things go south. Maybe???

We just don't have enough information here. We didn't before this either. Maybe the OPP was right and Giroux's case was a bridge to nowhere. Maybe the AG is pissed but can't admit to the fact they don't have a case.

But right now it does look as if the TPS stared at Ford for nearly a year and couldn't even get him dead to rights on an extortion case. Whatever the result now, any arrest is tainted. This is over. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back