News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 682     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
James E. Tumelty ‏@QPCamera 6m
Mayor Ford in response to my question, "I knew today would come, I just kept doing my job." #topoli

James E. Tumelty ‏@QPCamera 5m
Mayor Ford, "I want to thank OPP for doing their job... We still have the best Police force in the world..."#topoli

To play the hopeless optimist again, maybe the OPP leaked this info to the press knowing that charges were imminent. They wanted to make their position clear right at the outset to cover their backsides in case things go south. Maybe???

That is my hope; that it's a diversion tactic. My practical side, though, thinks that the OPP just wants to wash their hands of it. I'm really pissed if Blair knowingly handed over a floundering investigation. I also find it hard to believe that TPS wasn't investigating possible extortion of Ford as well considering the info in the ITO (chatter about Ford offering a vehicle or cash for the video file).

If Jimmi T's information is sound, then the OPP commissioner is really just worried about the optics of the arrest. That's nothing BUT politics.

The good news is, the optics aren't hard to fix. And it's a great political move:

Assuming the detectives are trying to build a case for blackmail based on the wiretaps, then the obvious next step is to interview the victim to confirm that blackmail actually took place. So detectives invite Ford to talk about the blackmail. Seems to me there are two possible outcomes:

1) Ford details the blackmail and the blackmailers get charged, thus paving the way for his own arrest.
2) Ford refuses to talk to the police, so won't give the evidence needed to support blackmail charges, thus paving the way for his own arrest.

If it's 1) then the police appear even-handed and fair. If it's 2) then police have the perfect key message: "We actively pursued blackmail charges based on the wiretaps, and invited the alleged victim to speak to us. But Mayor Ford refused participate in the investigation. Without sufficient evidence, without a victim, and without a confession, we couldn't proceed."

This is the only positive interpretation of the Star's revelations that made any sense to me. For it to play out, the TPS would have to announce it was broadening the focus of Project Brazen to include the people shopping the video. Ford would obviously refuse to talk to them and -- just like charges couldn't be laid against Ford re: Scott mcIntyre's assault because McIntyre wouldn't talk to the police -- the Police would be unable to make a case that Ford was a victim of blackmail.

I want to know where Rob keeps getting his teflon coating restored. It sure seems to have protected him through so many scandals and issues. Anyone else would have been long gone.

Why have a top homicide detective in charge of the investigations though? There is a lot we don't know still.
In any case, charges weren't going to stop Ford from running.
I agree this is up to us. It is a perfect opportunity for Torontonians to show they are not apathetic, and care about their city.

Why would the OPP do this so publicly?

This definitely stinks to high heaven.

Well, it happened the other way. TPS went to The Star to leak that it wasn't them holding up the arrest, and then the OPP fought back via Warmington etc.

So, it's all politics. I'm oscillating between mild despair and optimism. Kinsella, I don't believe. He said months ago that 1/2 the defence attorneys in the city had seen the crack video, even though the police hadn't found it yet so his credibility is below MM's as far as I'm concerned. Moreover, this does not prove anything re: the AG. Everyone is covering their political asses, which we knew would be the case. I think Giroux has too much at stake to let it go. Without seeing the evidence it's hard to really know who is wrong here but either way, we're watching a political knife fight over this right now.

We just don't have enough information here. We didn't before this either. Maybe the OPP was right and Giroux's case was a bridge to nowhere. Maybe the AG is pissed but can't admit to the fact they don't have a case.

But right now it does look as if the TPS stared at Ford for nearly a year and couldn't even get him dead to rights on an extortion case. Whatever the result now, any arrest is tainted. This is over. Done.

I am no fan of the police and am typically very critical of them, but I have a lot of confidence and respect in Giroux. I do not think he'd push for the laying of charges unless he had a strong case.

James E. Tumelty ‏@QPCamera 6m
Mayor Ford in response to my question, "I knew today would come, I just kept doing my job." #topoli

James E. Tumelty ‏@QPCamera 5m
Mayor Ford, "I want to thank OPP for doing their job... We still have the best Police force in the world..."#topoli
The fact that Rob and Doug are thanking the OPP is rather shady, in my opinion.

Just keep in mind - at the end of the day, the City Hall is in downtown - the citizens can easily take back what is rightfully their's should they choose to.

AoD

Would the fact that Ford made repeated public statements denying the existence of the video make it difficult to bring extortion charges against the guys shopping the video?

Robbie got his do over on his 2 egregious votes from yesterday. Now councillors are standing up and saying basically Nunzie has messed up the voting process.

Haha, Kristyn WT just stood up and asked if they could open the vehicle registration tax vote, so she could change her vote from 3 years ago! (She said she was new and didn't know.)

Last edited:
Maybe things are a little more political...follow the steaming piles.

Maybe the TPS said to OPP that they aren't waiting any longer. The case is solid, AG is on board, let's do this. So OPP went public to distance themselves ahead of the arrest.

It would be amazing that Ford has gone on CP24 today and crowed about being exonerated, only to be arrested soon after.

You have to think that both Siyad and Ford refused to cooperate on their conversations, thus TPS had nothing else to go on? That makes the most sense. I can't imagine the AG wouldn't already have asked TPS to follow that road. If that is the case, what more does OPP want? That's where it gets stinky.

We just don't have enough information here. We didn't before this either. Maybe the OPP was right and Giroux's case was a bridge to nowhere...

This shouldn't be surprising. Nobody at the centre of events is talking. Lisi didn't roll on Rob. Rob has nothing to gain by going to the police because it would only point the spotlight on his tawdry behaviour and bring heat on gangsters in his orbit. The risk of retaliation no doubt is preventing other potential witnesses from coming forward. So, TPS is left trying to build on a case on circumstantial evidence, rather than direct evidence. That's much harder to do, as the TPS/OPP dispute shows. My concern is that many will try to play this as a vindication for Rob. It's not. With or without charges, Rob has been implicated in some very bad things and refuses to account for his actions and connections. I just hope people don't lose sight of that on election day.

Seriously -- how connected is Rob Ford if the OPP are willing to sweep this under the rug? Who is protecting this guy? Are there really powerful interests who want him in office to lose every vote 41-1?

Is the new OPP chief just too chickenshit to go after a crackhead mayor? What the fuck is happening? This makes exactly ZERO sense, and is seriously damaging my faith in our law enforcement agencies. This is such plainly criminal behaviour, and the idea that they would just let him walk to protect their own careers is disgusting.

Seriously -- why did you previously have faith in our law enforcement agencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back