4.6K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 682     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is shitstorm now no matter what happens. If there are ultimately no charges, Ford supporters are going to want heads to roll in the TPS. If there are charges at some point, then people are going to want to know why the OPP took this stance. Either way, one of these police forces takes a massive hit in terms of integrity and public faith...

It looks like a showdown between Ford and Blair at the O.K Corral.

Well, it's clearly open war between OPP and TPS. I suspect there is little love lost between the two forces... OPP probably regard TPS as a bunch of cowboys. TPS went public first and now OPP have fired back. The AG is in a tricky position as whatever their feelings they can't interfere in an ongoing investigation. I suspect the phones have been red hot this morning banging heads together though. I spoked to OPP press office about a different matter a while back and it was quite clear from their tone that they feel superior to regional coppers.

Well, it's clearly open war between OPP and TPS. I suspect there is little love lost between the two forces... OPP probably regard TPS as a bunch of cowboys. TPS went public first and now OPP have fired back. The AG is in a tricky position as whatever their feelings they can't interfere in an ongoing investigation. I suspect the phones have been red hot this morning banging heads together though. I spoked to OPP press office about a different matter a while back and it was quite clear from their tone that they feel superior to regional coppers.

moral of the story.

Blair should of kept his mouth shut at the police conference back in november.

he totally fucked this up.

Though UK passport holder do need a US visa, it is interesting that they are investigating Nigella. Will Robbie be next?”

A UK passport holder does not need a visa in order to enter the US as a visitor. He or she does need a visa in order to enter the US to work, to attend school on a resident basis or to live for a period extending beyond the time allowed to a visitor. The story is that she was turned back at the airport in the UK because her existing visa had been cancelled in response to her very widely publicized testimony that she had used coke on a number of occasions over some years. (Her visa would be dealt with by the US Embassy in London. Lawson was a top story in every newspaper in London and on every news show broadcast in London, for days.) In effect, there were two avenues by which Lawson could be blocked - the visa or, if she had not needed a visa, she might have run up against a US immigration officer who was not willing to let her enter because she is a confessed (past anyway) user of cocaine. In the latter case, she would have been turned back at LAX.

The cases in which a Canadian needs a visa to enter the US are even fewer, and in any event none of the Ford bros. needed one for the recent trip; therefore, in their case the only avenue would have been if they Rob and/or Randy had been turned back at Pearson, or turned back at the airport in Chicago (if they flew to Chicago from the Island rather than from Pearson),* by running up against a US immigration officer who was unwilling to admit Rob due to his confessed use of crack and/or Randy due to his criminal record (although that was long ago and Randy could have applied for and received a US 'waiver' for that long ago).

*They flew to LAX via a stop-over in Chicago.

Last edited:

I'm sure this is all true, it's just worth remembering there isn't an actual hierarchy here. Some people seem to think OPP needs to sign off on this, as if they are the "ranking" force and that's not the case. They were brought in for "Fresh eyes" and, more to the point, political cover, as an outside force. I suppose it could have easily been the RCMP and they don't have the power to tell TPS what to do.

I don't know that the AG is really in a tricky position....it's their job to look at what the cops give them and say "it's enough that we think we can make charges stick" or "go back and get more." That's not interfering in the investigation. I mean, we've all seen the opening credits of Law & Order at some point, right? IT's the two halves of the yada yada yada. The AG doesn't make the arrest but they have clearly been in the loop and are now getting a second set of advice which they will have to evaluate.

So, if TPS think they have him and the AG thinks they can convict, that's the important part. The OPP questions are a bit troubling, for sure but opinions are like you-know-what. Lots of people are hanging their hats on this thing so if the OPP think Giroux is out to lunch, it's their prerogative to stay away and I haven't seen the files so for all I know they have a point. I'm not saying I think Ford is a victim but it's possible the extortion was going both ways and Giroux only pursued the Ford/Lisi element. Does that therefore undermine their case against Ford/Lisi? I suppose The Best Criminal Lawyer in Canada could use the fact that only they were charged as evidence of bias but that wouldn't get Ford off the hook - it doesn't prove he's innocent and, if anything, arguably gives him a motive.

We're all speculating but overall this gels with what we've been hearing about "politics" in the mix and the notion that a lot of people think an arrest could happen at any time. If I was Rob and Doug I might be breathing a small sigh of relief but they are far far from out of the woods.

moral of the story.

Have to agree with that! What a story! Blair doesn't look to smart on this one, so far. G20 and this. What a legacy.

It definitely troubles me that TPS obviously never investigated Siyad/Ford. If TPS goes ahead with charges, Ford can play the victim card, with the OPP backing him up. Ford Nation will eat it up, which is one of the worst parts of this.

I wish MM was in Toronto! He might have info on the TPS next step.

Bye Bye Blair

moral of the story.

Blair should have been canned for his incompetence and lack of oversight for G20.

It would be fitting if his tenure as chief of police is ultimately remembered not for that fiasco but because he was outplayed by the hard-drinking, drug-using criminal mastermind duo of Ford & Lisi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back