News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 571     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent stuff. I would add the following:

" I have the best criminal lawyer in Canada, Dennis Morris, and he's gonna show the taxpayers that this is just the Chief playin' politics and tryin' to get his buddy elected."

PS: It's 4:20, do you know where your mayor is?

Funny, but when you type in Dennis Morris into Google, he only comes up in news posts, and not even at the top of the search list. The first appears to be a school and the second is a UK photographer.

You'd think that if he was the best criminal lawyer in Canada, he'd come up before those. Not even a bio on a law firm webpage.

Edit to clarify - That's just typing in Dennis Morris. Not Dennis Morris Lawyer or Dennis Morris Rob Ford.

Funny, but when you type in Dennis Morris into Google, he only comes up in news posts, and not even at the top of the search list. The first appears to be a school and the second is a UK photographer.

You'd think that if he was the best criminal lawyer in Canada, he'd come up before those. Not even a bio on a law firm webpage.

Edit to clarify - That's just typing in Dennis Morris. Not Dennis Morris Lawyer or Dennis Morris Rob Ford.

Did you try Twitter?
https://twitter.com/hotmailawyer

Paikin did alright in his handling of Doug last night. Gentle but firm was probably the best approach. To question him more aggressively would have resulted in Doug retreating into his "we know you want Rob out, you're biased like the rest of the media" pose. But I found it frustrating how he casually, both in his conversation with Doug and with Robyn Doolittle, reinforced two Ford narratives. First, that of Rob answering phonecalls and fixing potholes, which seems to me typical Ford mythmaking built on obvious exaggerations and fabrications. Journalists, I think, should be looking at these claims much more critically, but seem to simply accept them as easy shorthand explaining Ford's success. Second, Paikin suggested more than once that there was much to admire in the Ford agenda of efficiency and cost-cutting, but that the mayor became distracted by his substance abuse problems. This is the Ford outline. No mention that many of Ford's financial plans are wishes that purposely ignore any real-world evidence that things need to be paid for and private-sector fairies don't exist. Also no mention that there are more serious concerns about Ford's personal activities beyond boozing and crack, like his associations with criminals on several fronts and his exposure to extortion.

Hotmail Lawyer is essentially a real life Lionel Hutz, right? A nasty, cheap little small-time shit artist with delusions of grandeur. The perfect fit for Slob and Thug, in other words.

I don't think we watched the same video because I don't see any of those things. He seems a bit tired, but no more than usual.

He was definitely out of it. Whether just tired or hungover/sketched is up for debate, although past behaviour after a difficult day suggests the latter.

Paikin did alright in his handling of Doug last night. Gentle but firm was probably the best approach. To question him more aggressively would have resulted in Doug retreating into his "we know you want Rob out, you're biased like the rest of the media" pose. But I found it frustrating how he casually, both in his conversation with Doug and with Robyn Doolittle, reinforced two Ford narratives. First, that of Rob answering phonecalls and fixing potholes, which seems to me typical Ford mythmaking built on obvious exaggerations and fabrications. Journalists, I think, should be looking at these claims much more critically, but seem to simply accept them as easy shorthand explaining Ford's success. Second, Paikin suggested more than once that there was much to admire in the Ford agenda of efficiency and cost-cutting, but that the mayor became distracted by his substance abuse problems. This is the Ford outline. No mention that many of Ford's financial plans are wishes that purposely ignore any real-world evidence that things need to be paid for and private-sector fairies don't exist. Also no mention that there are more serious concerns about Ford's personal activities beyond boozing and crack, like his associations with criminals on several fronts and his exposure to extortion.

A lot of journalists (Paikin and Doolittle included) bend over backwards to give the benefit of the doubt to the people who voted for Ford in 2010 and earlier. I suppose it makes sense to not call that large a segment of the population selfish rubes that were willing to throw the city under the bus to save themselves $60. I say "Hey, if the shoe fits", but I'm not trying to get people to watch my show or buy my book.

Star headline:

Doug Ford: Rob Ford scandal 'put Toronto on the map'Councillor Doug Ford is not worried about the impact of Mayor Rob Ford's cocaine scandal on Toronto's global reputation.

Well, that's all OK then....

Star headline:

Doug Ford: Rob Ford scandal 'put Toronto on the map'Councillor Doug Ford is not worried about the impact of Mayor Rob Ford's cocaine scandal on Toronto's global reputation.

Well, that's all OK then....
""Matter of fact, good or bad, it has put Toronto on the map," Doug Ford, his brother’s campaign manager, told SiriusXM radio host Arlene Bynon on Thursday in an entirely serious tone of voice."

I love that bit at the end. Every quote from Doug should have that, or "he said with a straight face" added to it. It's technically true, but absolutely gets the point across that the guy is a raving loon.

Last edited:

And the Gravy Train narrative hasn't really gone away. He hired KPMG to find waste, and they found next to none. That should still be a huge story, that there is no "gravy," but that narrative is continually reinforced even though it isn't true. Same with "the private sector will pay for it." If he wants to be judged on his record, these should be key points. And no one is touching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back