5.1K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 714     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that if Ford does get arrested, he will still run. He'll pay bail and be back in front of the cameras. Presumably saying he "can't talk about a matter before the courts." He will run until he legally can't (I think that's at the point of conviction). Just imagine the circus.

What are the other ITOs yet to come? March 5, right? I know there's still info redacted from the Lisi ITO. Is it that, or are there others?

I don't think we watched the same video because I don't see any of those things. He seems a bit tired, but no more than usual.

To me that raises the question of how often there's a difference between "tired" and "hung over" in the case of Rob Ford. (For what it's worth, I couldn't tell - he sounded out of it to me, but I don't see video of him often enough to really pinpoint the degrees of variation in his public manner.)

In addition to his utterly bizarre math about the building permit thing, though, I want to know just what it is that he's doing to help people get housing and to help the homeless, since he opposes so many of the things that we can do collectively to address poverty and homelessness. And if his helping people once a month makes such a huge difference, what is he doing to make sure that the tens of thousands of people on the waiting list for subsidized housing are getting the same kind of assistance?

This is just beautiful. When speaking about raising concerns about TCHC robbie gives this amazing bit of math and self-aggrandizement in one statement:

"I brought 24 complaints forward. 1 other complaint came from 24 councillors. That means I'm doing the work of 44 people...times 24."

So there you have it. Rob does the work of 1056 people.

Thing is, I can't figure out what he's referring to in the actual report. He says, in reference to the audit, "And I was the one who brought it to their attention. I think you saw it in the report there was 25 complaints and 24 of them came from me and 1 came from 44 councillors."

Granted I've only skimmed the report, but I don't see any reference to complaints from the Mayor. And the report clearly states, "We did not conduct an audit due to any specific concerns about the Division." It appears to just be the regular audit cycle. Wonder what he's referring to?

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/au/bgrd/backgroundfile-67006.pdf

Keep in mind that if Ford does get arrested, he will still run. He'll pay bail and be back in front of the cameras. Presumably saying he "can't talk about a matter before the courts." He will run until he legally can't (I think that's at the point of conviction). Just imagine the circus.

That definitely is scary. A period of who-knows-how-long full of Fords full of indignant pride, ranting about everyone in every which way, plus the possibility that he could skate on a technicality.

It gets worse before it can get better!

https://twitter.com/SusanDelacourt/status/439449958328987648

Bhk9aJ-CIAAjm7J.jpg
http://pics.classicauctions.net/classicauctions/auctions/35/013.jpg

Harrold Ballard tribute button!

Last edited by a moderator:
what is he doing to make sure that the tens of thousands of people on the waiting list for subsidized housing are getting the same kind of assistance?

You mean the 76,000 people on the waiting list that will hopefully be slightly impacted by the Provincial and Federal funds that Rofo and Dumbass voted against accepting?

I actually think he's fine to run (and win) if he's convicted. I think he literally has to be IN prison to be ineligible.

https://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=195301

So you don’t lose your seat if you’re convicted of a crime, but you do lose your seat if you go to jail?

Yes. As per the City Of Toronto Act, “A member of city council is disqualified from holding office if, at any time during the term of office of that member, he or she†would not be eligible to vote if a municipal election “was held at that time.†(The Municipal Act, which applies to all other Ontario municipalities, has the same clause.) The moment you cease to be an eligible voter, you’re disqualified from holding office and your seat is declared vacant.

Because people in jail can’t vote?

Exactly. Ontario’s Municipal Elections Act specifies that “a person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution†is barred from voting in municipal elections.

That makes sense.

No, actually it doesn’t. The Canada Elections Act says that “every person who is imprisoned in a correctional institution serving a sentence of two years or more†is prohibited from voting in federal elections. But the Supreme Court struck down that section in 2002, and the chief electoral officer has declined to enforce it ever since. And Ontario’s Election Act sets out no restrictions on prisoners voting in provincial elections. So in Ontario, inmates can take part in federal and provincial elections but not in municipal elections.

Why?

“I assume it is because no one has brought a [court] challenge,†Freya Kristjanson, who also practices municipal law, writes in an email.

So he’d lose his seat as soon as he’s sentenced to jail time?

No. It’s when a person starts serving that sentence.

There are several others. I'm not sure if they just keep adding new info to the one existing ITO or if they keep submitting new documents. But this isn't the info that was blacked out in document we've already seen--it's all new info.
According to The Star, there are "7 judicial requests".
The Star and other media are seeking access to a series of court orders — including the Apple assistance order and any new orders— at a March 5 hearing. These court orders are documents prepared by police to obtain search warrant and other orders to access telephone, text and other information related to Ford and Lisi. Each document lays out specific information the police already know and is presented to a judge in hopes of getting permission to obtain more information.There are seven new judicial requests, all of which have been granted by a judge, which news media organizations are seeking to have released, including the one related to Lisi’s iPhone and data stored both on the phone and iCloud.
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ases_sandro_lisis_iphone_audio_and_video.html

Last edited:
Q: "So he’d lose his seat as soon as he’s sentenced to jail time?"

A: "No. It’s when a person starts serving that sentence."

Should have a pool for that date.

Best guess, anyone?
Let's wait until he's arrested first. Things will get too confusing if people are saying dates on here for two different things.

If he doesn't resign when he's charged the outrage would be like nothing else. The province would step in at that point, guaranteed.

If he doesn't resign when he's charged the outrage would be like nothing else. The province would step in at that point, guaranteed.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Remember, Wynne said she would only intervene if things became unworkable. I'd say the Fords calling out Blair is quickly making the situation unworkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back