872     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 777     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 580     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our not-so-tiny and not-so-perfect mayor on the Today Show.

reporterdonpeat 10:47am via HootSuite
"You know what Matt, maybe you're perfect but I'm not" Mayor Rob Ford to Matt Lauer today.

As I said above, before the interview they showed a few clips of the November interview and one was Ford saying THE EXACT SAME THING. Any American with a brain saw right through how Ford repeats these talking points. Since Lauer was the only one to go hard at him in November I won't blame him too much for going softer today in a short, remote interview. (A nice follow up on the Steak Queen video might have been, "and why were you meeting with your drug dealer the same night?")

I think people are thinking way too much about the video stuff. The Fords are daring Blair to release it because they know he can't. I don't think it goes deeper; it's the bluff of a teenager playing poker for the first time, holding nothing. Sure, it could taint a jury pool but then they would just do a trial further away and the further away they are from Ford Nation, the less sympathy I suspect they're likely to find. You think people in Kingston or London or Timmins will understand why he hangs out with immigrant gangsters? I think not. (And IIRC, you can have a trial by judge but it is up to the defendant to request it.) The people left who think the video is fake a or conspiracy are whatever are lost causes. They probably also think Cheney and the Mossad planned 9/11 and Obama is an Iranian sleeper agent. Let them go and worry about the sane people.

Neil Flagg is the most prominent proponent of this, I think.

One of my fave Neil moments is when he pulled this tact. In his ever so condescending manner claimed "How can I believe in a video that I haven't seen? Sorry, I need evidence because I'm not a dupe like the Ford-haters." He then went on to express his pity for the other poster for taking god's name in vain and said he would pray for him.

Anyone else notice that Joe Warmington has pulled back quite a bit on his pro-Ford invective lately? He seems to have slipped into athlete/celebrity worship mode. Wonder what's up with that - he was going at Ford haters pretty hard not that long ago. Did someone shut him up, or did he finally realize he couldn't live with himself as "that guy" anymore?

Has Joe's column been running at all? I've been wondering about this. He seems to have gone silent, at least in the Sun, after reportedly making comments about the "gay agenda" on his Newstalk show earlier this month. I can't help but wonder if it's a coincidence, or whether he's in dutch with the boss. Anybody have any insight? For all I know, he could be on holiday.

He is now talking up the Big City Mayor's meeting in Ottawa that he has so effectively ignored the last few years (and he didn't even have a family cottage weekend going on!). Obviously it's really about Looking Mayoral and not letting Kelly be The Man there. He seems to think that the ice storm made him look like post-9/11 Giuliani or something and that these next few months have to be about doing the mayor stuff he's so far ignored. It's kind of like an athlete on his last legs trying to have a good contract year after years of dogging it, so he can score big in free agency. Good luck with that.

Overall, and quite seriously, I am fascinated by the disconnect between reality and how he seems himself. The gap is just so huge and yet he doesn't seem to be insane; just amazingly deluded. Like, does he really think going to his meeting now will impress anyone? Or that moving from morbidly obese down to obese will show he's got what it takes to be leader, despite everything else? I mean, even if he loses all the weight, surely that's part of his PERSONAL life, not his professional one, so shouldn't I ignore it and focus on his record of, say, ignoring all the mayor's meetings until he was stripped of his powers and in an election year?

I think the Ford's complaint re: Blair has less to do with the crack video (they know it won't come out just because they want it to) but more to do with the fact, as someone stated earlier, that the police board member in question is an advisor to John Tory. He enters the race and the complaint is filed soon after. It's electioneering.

Yes. This. They're likely trying to also smear Pringle and, by extension, Tory. To put the idea in people's heads that Blair is conspiring with them, that they're all just a bunch of elite politicians and bullies, unlike regular-guy Rob. I bet they spin it that way at every opportunity. Hopefully it wraps up soon, and/or there are conditions imposed on the investigation that don't allow them to talk about it, and/or they go too far (a la the Daniel Dale thing) and are sued and forced to backtrack.

And then Ford walks out of presser. I guess the "come-to-Jesus moment" came and went.

JProskowGlobal 11:25am via Twitter for iPhone
Mayor refuses to clearly answer whether he has done any illegal drugs since November.

Last edited:
What is next? Rob Ford complaining that Apple is a leftist conspiracy, just because Apple has access to Lisi's iPhone history, Apple probably probably having access to the crack video, and that a large number of university students have MacBook Pros (a good number of which are progressively-minded)?

Rob Ford can call me a commie all he wants, just because I typed this post using my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

I notice a slight correlation between preferred operating system and political views.

Do you have “my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display†on Autofill or something? You've mentioned it like 15 times. Is there a specific reason you feel compelled to mention this over and over again?

The TR2 will have subway maps using Retina screens like my computer (15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display) that updates itself on the fly, rather than "pegboards."
Each subway train would have cell phone signals and WiFi signals as well.

Page 375 for me. I set it to see 40 posts per page. Good thing about my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I can see so much at once.

I may be lucky to have a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, but not everyone here who reads and posts in this thread has such a computer (or a monitor with high resolutions).

I must agree. That is also why I am typing this on my early 2013 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I buy a new laptop every three years.

Thank you very much. They are so informative. Yes, one of my spare computers have Ubuntu on it (though my main computer is a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display).

Speaking of the Apple Store, on February 28, 2013, I bought a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

This is interesting:

Adam C-F
‏@AdamCF
Doug Ford confirms long-time rumour that @NickKouvalis has Ford's voter contact list--the foundation of a campaign: http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/02/25/lorinc-campaign-notes-tory-stintz-doug-ford-goes-nick-kouvalis-2/

Adam C-F ‏
@AdamCF
(Rumour is that @NickKouvalis was paid so little by Ford that the deal is he would own the voter contact list. Penny wise, pound foolish.)

From the link in the tweet:

Send in the lawyers. During Doug Ford’s scrum, which occurred between John Tory’s registration and Stintz’s, and featured the usual media-bashing, the soon-to-be-former councilor for Ward 2 dropped a tantalizing clue suggesting that the Ford campaign may come after their former campaign manager Nick Kouvalis. He said the campaign is trying to get its 2010 voter lists back from Kouvalis, but he’s refused to release the data. “So that’s going to be an issue,†said Ford.

And Ford to reporters: "Don't be jealous just because I do interviews with American media."

First of all that makes no sense. Secondly, does he think they want to interview him because he's a super-interesting, super-awesome mayor?

Do you have “my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display” on Autofill or something? You've mentioned it like 15 times. Is there a specific reason you feel compelled to mention this over and over again?

I wasn't going to say anything, but it drives me nuts too.

And then Ford walks out of presser.

JProskowGlobal 11:25am via Twitter for iPhone
Mayor refuses to clearly answer whether he has done any illegal drugs since November.

The Press Gallery must be on to a new rumour. I will add that on the Today Show interview Ford commented that he hadn't done drugs in "about a year" which is what he said last time when he admitted to using drugs - so which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back