616     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 656     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than it was an extortion charge, relating to the crack video clip, and threatening violence. Which decidedly has to do with RoFo.
Perhaps you missed this part of my post:
The video may not even be made public at the trial. That's a call for the prosecutor. He/she must prove only that Lisi used extortion/threats to attempt to recovery "a video". The content of the video may not be particularly necessary to reveal to prove extortion. And even if the video is shown, hasn't it already done whatever damage to Ford's repuatation that it's going to do? The video of Ford ranting came and went pretty quickly from the public eye.

He was also brought in on extortion charges...
Perhaps you missed this part of my post:
The video may not even be made public at the trial. That's a call for the prosecutor. He/she must prove only that Lisi used extortion/threats to attempt to recovery "a video". The content of the video may not be particularly necessary to reveal to prove extortion.

It's just one of the countless contradictions of these so-called fiscal conservatives.

Not a contradiction, it's their agenda. If they stand for "small government" based on how inefficient, useless and costly government is, then cutting workers works for them. Less workers means things go slower and they can justify privatization. It's the same thing they do with social programs; cut staff and then say the programs don't work in order to justify cutting them or privatizing them. Neoliberal bullcrap at it's finest. (Although I doubt that Ford understands the logic behind any of that, he just follows talking points and does what people tell him to do).

Only if his opponents have learned nothing and again get pulled into a boring (to voters) technical debate over the merits of LRT vs Subway.

The argument against the subway should be simple, and focus on the cost to taxpayers. Something like: "Rob Ford wants to spend $1000 of your hard earned money to bury the Scarborough LRT for no reason" ($1 billion / 1M taxpayers). Then every single time during the entire campaign that Ford mentions anything about saving money or respect for taxpayers, you respond with "then why do you want to take $1000 out of the pocket of every taxpayer for your boondoggle?" Bonus points for referring to it as Ford's gas plant scandal.

In my mind, re-opening the debate is a GOOD thing, because it allows another chance to make a point that needs to be heard and wasn't heard last time.

His opponents shouldn't even allow Ford to frame the subway as a superior option or say "Scarborough deserves subways". Nor should they bother arguing the merits of LRT, for that matter. The message should be simply that it's effectively the same goddamn thing, only his version runs underground and costs you $1000.

Edit: also, if he suggests it's a "streetcar" or something inferior to a subway, the simple response is "no, it's an above ground subway" and it can be compared to the above ground stretches of the existing subway lines.

You sir or madam, are a genius! "Ford's gas plant scandal" - brilliant!

Further, I shall add...why worry about debates, when the best answer to ensuring Rob Ford isn't re-elected IS TO HAVE MORE "ROB FORDS" ON THE BALLOT?

What I want to do is find EVERY TORONTO RESIDENT that is legal to run for mayor, whose name is "Rob Ford" and sign them up to run for mayor. Likewise, I wan to run as many people with the last name "Ford" in whatever ridings they decide to plot their other family members in for city council.

Imagine - if there were TWO or THREE Rob Fords on the ballot form?!!?!? Spread the word...find the "Rob Ford's" and let's make this happen!

This is a little off topic but since the ice storm... a little levity:

BdgMkSDIcAA_SXC.jpg

https://twitter.com/meia24/status/421100382744748034/photo/1

Attachments

• BdgMkSDIcAA_SXC.jpg
    BdgMkSDIcAA_SXC.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 408
Not a contradiction, it's their agenda. If they stand for "small government" based on how inefficient, useless and costly government is, then cutting workers works for them. Less workers means things go slower and they can justify privatization. It's the same thing they do with social programs; cut staff and then say the programs don't work in order to justify cutting them or privatizing them. Neoliberal bullcrap at it's finest. (Although I doubt that Ford understands the logic behind any of that, he just follows talking points and does what people tell him to do).

Don't you mean his teddy bear, Dougie. ;)

Josh Matlow did an excellent job of challenging Ford during the LRT vs. subway debate, however largely thanks to Nunziatta, that malicious fu*king dimwit, Matlow kept getting cut off and Ford was able to put up his shitscreen and avoid answering altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vCpKUNRBEw

There lies the problem with Nunziata, she allows Rob and Doug to go off like firecrackers but heaven help any other Councillor who does the same. She won't even ask for an apology with some of the crazy crap that comes out of their mouths unless another Councillor stands and asks for an apology and then it takes her numerous requests to get one, if at all. Also, questions and debate are generally through the Speaker, Rob and Doug are famous for breaking that rule but other Council members generally adhere to it, because they know they'd be shut down by her. When things get too heated (almost exclusively triggered by Rob or Doug) and when she's clearly lost control, she adjourns for a short period in favor of dealing with the problem head-on. For regular Council watchers such as myself it's clear as day that Nunziata favors and does not always follow protocol for Rob and Doug, but for other Councillors she does. Most other Councillors simply won't sink to the level of Rob and Doug, they are respectful of the chamber, procedures and rules.

There lies the problem with Nunziata, she allows Rob and Doug to go off like firecrackers but heaven help any other Councillor who does the same. She won't even ask for an apology with some of the crazy crap that comes out of their mouths unless another Councillor stands and asks for an apology and then it takes her numerous requests to get one, if at all. Also, questions and debate are generally through the Speaker, Rob and Doug are famous for breaking that rule but other Council members generally adhere to it, because they know they'd be shut down by her. When things get too heated (almost exclusively triggered by Rob or Doug) and when she's clearly lost control, she adjourns for a short period in favor of dealing with the problem head-on. For regular Council watchers such as myself it's clear as day that Nunziata favors and does not always follow protocol for Rob and Doug, but for other Councillors she does. Most other Councillors simply won't sink to the level of Rob and Doug, they are respectful of the chamber, procedures and rules.

Great description of my thoughts. Just as I'm longing for the day where Rob and Doug are out of City Hall, I'm looking forward to Nunziata being removed as Speaker.

Then how will Rob Ford meet his election promise of connecting these two with a cycle path?

I originally posted "Are you sure he didn't say "psychopath"?", but then realized someone bet me too it. Still, I guess a good joke is worth repeating.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 3m

"You've got to laugh at the Toronto Star, that's all I can do" Mayor Rob Ford to @joe_warmington on Newstalk 1010 last night #TOpoli

God, I just want to reach into the computer and punch him in the face. How about you answer the damned questions instead of shooting the messenger, you idiot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back