211     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 866     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 547     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford has retained one of the top municipal lawyers in the country who issued this warning to council:

And who very likely is charging by the hour. Of course he'll take the job; Rich client, lots of exposure, and little fallout in losing when odds are high you will.

Attachments

• BZIxe7SIMAA4B8H.jpg
    BZIxe7SIMAA4B8H.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 376
From the DiManno piece, I hate that this line is included:

From a mother who, the Star has been told by several sources, has her own worrisome issues.

Without any elaboration besides the opening paragraphs and the one incident they describe. If the Star has decided that those issues are off limits to print, why include that line. It's a horrible tease. "We hear she's fucked up and we're going to tell you that but we won't tell you how."

Lame.

From the DiManno piece, I hate that this line is included:

Without any elaboration besides the opening paragraphs and the one incident they describe. If the Star has decided that those issues are off limits to print, why include that line. It's a horrible tease. "We hear she's fucked up and we're going to tell you that but we won't tell you how."

Lame.

Someone mentioned it earlier and I think they're right. I'm pretty sure they published the wrong DiManno column earlier today, one that ties in to revelations that were meant to run in tomorrow's paper.

So the Star pulled it, DiManno changed it a bit, and they decided to run it tonight ahead of the Star's main story to cut their losses.

Or there is no accompanying main story and DiManno just doesn't give a shit.

The Star published the DiManno column again. Looks different:

https://twitter.com/torontostar/status/401484629896470528

I posted the original article a few pages back: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/14268-Mayor-Rob-Ford-s-Toronto?p=788384#post788384

DiManno added some additional paragraphs at the end. Some other details were changed for instance in this updated version it notes that the bruises and cuts appeared to be a few days old. Also in this version they have deleted reference to their management "agreeing with police" that Fords wife's problems should not be aired in public. Here is the original paragraph:

Editors agreed with police that Mrs. Ford, though the mayor’s spouse, was not someone in the public eye and was therefore entitled to privacy.

I suppose that the Star didn't want their readers to learn just how closely they were working with Toronto Police in their coverage of Mayor Ford. If the Star was vetting information with police you can bet that as part of a quid pro quo Toronto Police were feeding the Star confidential information on Ford! I suspect that when the original article was published someone down at police headquarters saw the reference to police vetting a story on Ford and an order was given to spike the article.

Is there any talk about a protest to support Ford? It's noteworthy that there hasn't been one so far. Where is Ford Nation? Why don't they show their faces down at City Hall? Why don't the Fords call on them to show support? (rhetorical, we all know why)

Someone mentioned it earlier and I think they're right. I'm pretty sure they published the wrong DiManno column earlier today, one that ties in to revelations that were meant to run in tomorrow's paper.

So the Star pulled it, DiManno changed it a bit, and they decided to run it tonight ahead of the Star's main story to cut their losses.

Or there is no accompanying main story and DiManno just doesn't give a shit.

I read the earlier draft though and it still doesn't really get into any detail about what her "worrisome issues" are beyond what you can glean from the opening anecdote. It certainly implies there are more but it doesn't elaborate. Seems irresponsible to me. Either shit or get off the pot and leave that line out completely.

Is there any talk about a protest to support Ford? It's noteworthy that there hasn't been one so far. Where is Ford Nation? Why don't they show their faces down at City Hall? Why don't the Fords call on them to show support?
(rhetorical, we all know why)

No supporters for Ford, but this tweet by Don Peat is encouraging:

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 49m

Mayor Rob Ford gone for the day. Reporters questions drowned out by members of the public shouting "Resign!", etc. #TOpoli

Anyone catch this earlier? Interesting defense of police surveillance of Ford, though I don't agree with the notion that police did their civic duty in reporting Ford's alcoholic behaviour. Warrants are used for the Crown to press charges, not to send messages to the public.

Though I saw someone on Twitter mention it and it's a good question...what did a lot of those tertiary details in the warrant have to do with Lisi's eventual arrest? IANAL.

http://steinsgeist.com/2013/11/14/police-did-not-give-ford-pass/

Doug has now confirmed that Rob will not attend. Of course, that will probably change 15 times between now and Sunday.

Can you say VACILLATION boys and girls? I know you could.

Is there any talk about a protest to support Ford? It's noteworthy that there hasn't been one so far. Where is Ford Nation? Why don't they show their faces down at City Hall? Why don't the Fords call on them to show support? (rhetorical, we all know why)

They are sitting at home, waiting for the Rob-o-call to tell them what to do.

Last edited:
Seriously one day this entire thread belongs in a museum, it's an amazingly thorough historical record of the Ford mayoral administration from just before it started until (presumably) it ends.
A lot of it will prove to be great research and fodder for whoever writes the book, miniseries, and ABC Afterschool special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back