News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 574     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't campaigning illegal this early?

I truly hope they rethink showing up at the Parade. It's for the kids, it's not about them. I'm sure there will be boos and foolishness, and parents shouldn't have to explain this crap to their kids.

I hope he dares to show up - I have a feeling some parents might make their displeasure known.

AoD

I heard some of what the Fordiots said at council today and am certain beyond doubt that they both suffer from serious psychological issues.
Given what their mum is like and that their other siblings are fucked as well, I can only surmise that the deceased Ford Sr must have been quite the...um, how to put this delicately?....special.

They both need anti-psychotics, hugs, and serious psychotherapy.

They both need CBT, and I don't mean cognitive behaviourial therapy.

AoD

Getting back to the STD/AIDS argument -- it is true that people can become infected via a cheating partner -- though I doubt most STD cases are a result of such innocent circumstances. I have a difficult time feeling bad for someone like, Freddie Mercury -- who regularly participated in orgies and had multiple partners. He knowingly put himself in harm's way. When one plays with fire, to that extent, it's not surprising to see what became of him. Was his slow, painful death worth the quest for orgasms? He died in a very tragic manner, but he was careless with his safety and he paid the ultimate sacrifice. It's too bad he went out like that.

Okay dude but here's the thing. Ford's AIDS comments weren't said in a vacuum. He said them in service to his decisions over the years (including after he became mayor) to vote against and eventually scrap the funding of drug and AIDS prevention projects. Projects that include things like education, like providing condoms to sex workers, kits for needle users to at least clean their rigs if not needle exchange. I'm sure you have an argument that that shouldn't be the government's responsibility, or that people should already know better about things like using condoms, or that junkies who are junkies have no one to blame but themselves for being junkies so why should the city fund the clean practice of their habit. But the fact of the matter is that 1) unfortunately, especially in immigrant communities, the education ISN'T there for a lot of people about proper AIDS prevention, 2) we can talk about junkies making their own bed all they like but "natural selection" is a hell of an argument to make about ones fellow citizens when the resources are there to help and the only counterargument is "my property taxes are too high" and 3) it's hard to take "their lifestyle is at fault" as a reason to say "fuck'em, let'em die" especially for the poorer, more at risk people when the mayor's whole deal is that he's the "champion of the little guy" and besides he happens to be a drug user himself. So when the mayor makes comments like "if you're not gay or an injection drug user you probably won't get AIDS" and he also happens to be the one setting policy for how we treat the education and prevention outreach to high risk communities, including others besides just those two, it's actually a lot more dangerous than him just having a personal opinion.

I don't think you can compare Renata Ford to Huma Abedin (sp). The latter has a high-level career who married after her husband was in the public eye. The former appears to be a SAHM w/young children who may/may not have her own personal issues and met her husband in high school. I get really uncomfortable with this type of discussion because sometimes it can approach victim blaming a la wondering why abused women never leave.

I'm not entirely sure she is abused but I completely agree with you.

Women don't leave for many complex reasons, not the least of which is the fear of being killed. Understand that I don't believe this to be the case here. It's just that, in general, abused women are the most vulnerable when the abandoned man has nothing left to lose.

In Renata's case, assuming she is physically abused (and I believe her being dragged into this this week and having her genitals discussed is most definitely abuse, if "only" emotional abuse), she would also have a terrible financial fight gaining custody of her kids.

I would not be surprised if she doesn't give as good as she gets. Some marriages are like that. Fortunately only a small percentage are but enough that make me second guess myself and my usual assumptions about abusive relationships. Are her parents there to protect their grandchildren? How many domestic calls were not dealt with for the same reasons that Ford's drunk driving was apparently ignored by cops?

There is so much dysfunction here, right across the Ford family, up and down the generations, that I would believe almost anything at this point.

They both need CBT, and I don't mean cognitive behaviourial therapy.

AoD

Hahaaaa....oh, man, I don't follow. Is this some thing kids say these days? (The CBT not being of the therapeutic type....and I'm only 28)

I'm sure it's unprintable so I'll use my imagination... and concur.

I'm not entirely sure she is abused but I completely agree with you.

Women don't leave for many complex reasons, not the least of which is the fear of being killed. Understand that I don't believe this to be the case here. It's just that, in general, abused women are the most vulnerable when the abandoned man has nothing left to lose.

In Renata's case, assuming she is physically abused (and I believe her being dragged into this this week and having her genitals discussed is most definitely abuse, if "only" emotional abuse), she would also have a terrible financial fight gaining custody of her kids.

I would not be surprised if she doesn't give as good as she gets. Some marriages are like that. Fortunately only a small percentage are but enough that make me second guess myself and my usual assumptions about abusive relationships. Are her parents there to protect their grandchildren? How many domestic calls were not dealt with for the same reasons that Ford's drunk driving was apparently ignored by cops?

There is so much dysfunction here, right across the Ford family, up and down the generations, that I would believe almost anything at this point.

ExMtlGirl:

I felt sympathetic towards her plight, but given the stakes in this case, personally I am not particularly inclined to cut any of the involved parties any slack. The city cannot be held hostage just because there is a victim in Ford's family.

AoD

Hahaaaa....oh, man, I don't follow. Is this some thing kids say these days? (The CBT not being of the therapeutic type....and I'm only 28)

I'm sure it's unprintable so I'll use my imagination... and concur.

Nothing you can't find in urban dictionary, dear.

AoD

Don't lump me in with hawc; I'm not a Ford supporter.

I would say it's worse than being a Rob Ford supporter....you are a Rob Ford type. The more you continue to defend your indefensible comments, the worse it becomes. It's not worth it.

Ex-Montreal Girl

You're right about the whole family being dysfunctional. Renata has been in the Ford family long enough to get dragged into the dysfunction, and I wouldn't be surprised if she used either booze or a "mother's little helper" to get through her days. I hope her parents can help her, she needs to get away from this toxic family, or her kids will repeat the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back