4.6K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 682     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow they're actually going the nuclear route tomorrow. MM I remember back in May you had suggested if things got real bad they would do this but we were so far from that back then. Can't believe it'll come to that. Wonder how Rob and Doug will react.

Apologies. Thought it was very shortly after ( missed the year as we'll when checking). My point is, yes, we run a parliamentary system, but who's kidding who, people vote for the leader of the respective parties and their policies. Their local mpp has little to no impact to their voting decisions.

Doug Holiday disagrees.

Doesn't Toronto have the tools to deal with this situation? Council seem to be moving very effectively to strip Ford of all his powers, and effectively make Norm Kelly interim mayor.
I'm really surprised that they can legally do so much.

Apologies. Thought it was very shortly after ( missed the year as we'll when checking). My point is, yes, we run a parliamentary system, but who's kidding who, people vote for the leader of the respective parties and their policies. Their local mpp has little to no impact to their voting decisions.

Their local MPP votes for the party leader, if their party wins the majority or minority than their leader gets to be Premier and the MPP holds their seat in the legislature and votes on legislation. It's how it works provincially, and it's how it works federally. While people may vote for "leaders" most vote for party platforms (platforms that have been created and agreed upon by multiple members of political parties).
And again, the resigning during the term and appointing a new leader is called the Tory Regeneration technique and has been used for years. To use it only as an insult to the Liberal party is disingenuous. If you're going to be upset about this tactic, be upset when any party uses it, but also understand how ludicrous it would be, given the way the Premier is chosen to have a general election when the Premier resigns. That would put everybody's ridings at risk because one person resigned as leader of a party.

eta: If you believe people vote for the Leader of the party and not the party, would you be just as offended at the Leader of the Official Opposition stepping down half way through their term?

Last edited:
@PhilofWrite: @shelleycarroll @gordperks Is there any way Rob can fire Kelly as D. Mayor and put in Doug before Monday?

LOL

This could actually be a serious question. Once Ford is stripped of his executive powers, though, I assume it's not possible. Now, could he pull some kind of trick before the executive powers vote takes place?

Wow they're actually going the nuclear route tomorrow. MM I remember back in May you had suggested if things got real bad they would do this but we were so far from that back then. Can't believe it'll come to that. Wonder how Rob and Doug will react.

Yes, it's pretty amazing that they're not enacting one of the measures I reported were being circulated back in May but ALL of them. City Council is demonstrating that they can in fact deal with this situation and aren't as toothless as widely reported. I just spoke with one Councillor's executive assistant who said that there is very little that Council can't do by re-writing the rules of Council itself -- which they control. They'll be designating Norm Kelly the official spokesperson for the City of Toronto, the de-facto interim Mayor and it's quite possible that if they wanted to, they could re-allocate the Mayor's office to a dusty broom closet somewhere outside the glassed in Mayor/Councillor's offices and revoke his access to that portion of City Hall. Starting tomorrow, they're going to leave Rob Ford completely stripped of all his powers and privileges. It's not only very effective at curbing him and showing Toronto and the world that we don't support this idiot but it's supremely humiliating.

Meanwhile, Premier Wynne has backed Tim Hudak into a corner. Either he supports a non partisan motion to write new legislation allowing a super majority of Municipal Councils in Ontario to remove a Mayor under extraordinary circumstances or he's grouped in with the sinking Ford Nation ship. He's going to have to finally disavow Doug Ford or go down with both brothers. I don't have any special insight into the Provincial Legislature but I get the feeling that a multi-party bill will be coming -- even if just to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Last edited:
This could actually be a serious question. Once Ford is stripped of his executive powers, though, I assume it's not possible. Now, could he pull some kind of trick before the executive powers vote takes place?

Councillor Fillion's motion deals specifically with removing the Mayor's power to appoint/fire Executive Committee members and the Deputy Mayor.

from the City's procedural by-law

§ 27-40. Mayor appoints the Deputy Mayor, and Standing Committee Chairs.

A. The Mayor appoints and removes the following:

(1) The Deputy Mayor; and

(2) The Chairs of Standing Committees.

B. The Mayor gives written notice to the Clerk of the appointments and of any
removals made under Subsection A.

this is the power proposed to be removed from the mayor tomorrow
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.CC42.1

I've just received confirmation that tomorrow City Council is going to proclaim Norm Kelly "Interim Mayor" which technically is not against the rules. Ford would still be Mayor but there's nothing to prevent changing the Deputy Mayor's title. Norm Kelly will also receive the Mayor's office budget.

Hang on. I thought the meeting was scheduled for Monday. That's what the notice says. Did they juggle tomorrow's agenda?

BREAKING

PaulaNewtonCNN ‏@paulanewtonCNN 30s
Councilor Doug Ford has urged his younger brother Mayor #Rob Ford to take a leave of absence, a Council source tells CNN.

BREAKING

PaulaNewtonCNN ‏@paulanewtonCNN 30s
Councilor Doug Ford has urged his younger brother Mayor #Rob Ford to take a leave of absence, a Council source tells CNN.

Thought he's said that already? Take some time off and rehab it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back