4.7K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 684     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now Doug thinks rehab is a good idea. Sorry, but that subway left the station a really, really, really, long time ago.

Now Doug thinks rehab is a good idea. Sorry, but that subway left the station a really, really, really, long time ago.

I'm astounded that he's been too stupid to recognize that stepping down would have given him a very good chance at coming back mid election and running as a new man. That's not possible anymore. His brand has been too damaged and he's lost all his political allies. He's finished even if he goes to rehab. He won't anyway.

If Rob appointed Doug as Deputy Mayor, would Council actually have the power to appoint a different deputy mayor under the City of Toronto Act?

Role of the mayor as head of council
133. (1) It is the role of the mayor of the City, as the head of council,
(a) to act as chief executive officer of the City;
(b) to preside over meetings of council so that its business can be carried out efficiently and effectively;
(c) to provide leadership to council;
(d) to represent the City at official functions; and
(e) to carry out the duties of the head of council under this or any other Act. 2006, c. 11, Sched. A, s. 133 (1).
Same

(2) Without limiting clause (1) (c), the mayor’s role includes providing information and making recommendations to council with respect to council’s role under clauses 131 (d) and (e). 2006, c. 11, Sched. A, s. 133 (2).
Substitution

(3) The City may, with the consent of the head of council, appoint a member of council to act in the place of the head of council on any body, of which the head of council is a member by virtue of being head of council. 2006, c. 11, Sched. A, s. 133 (3).

And the mayor can take over the chair of the meetings if he wants do under Section 113(b) of the City of Toronto Act and 27-42 of the procedural by-law. That would be interesting :)

I really can't wait til this is all over. Worst mayor ever brother to second-worst councillor ever (I swear Mammolitti isn't a real person).

Ha, Doug is scrambling to find a way to keep some power. Rehab, sure, then Rob can just come back and be mayor again and we can all pretend this didn't happen. Sure, Doug.

I'm still waiting for the "handcuffs" moment but tonight's the first time I've been able to exhale a little now that the nuclear option is finally coming to pass.

Yes, it's pretty amazing that they're not enacting one of the measures I reported were being circulated back in May but ALL of them. City Council is demonstrating that they can in fact deal with this situation and aren't as toothless as widely reported. I just spoke with one Councillor's executive assistant who said that there is very little that Council can't do by re-writing the rules of Council itself -- which they control. They'll be designating Norm Kelly the official spokesperson for the City of Toronto, the de-facto interim Mayor and it's quite possible that if they wanted to, they could re-allocate the Mayor's office to a dusty broom closet somewhere outside the glassed in Mayor/Councillor's offices and revoke his access to that portion of City Hall. Starting tomorrow, they're going to leave Rob Ford completely stripped of all his powers and privileges. It's not only very effective at curbing him and showing Toronto and the world that we don't support this idiot but it's supremely humiliating.

Meanwhile, Premier Wynne has backed Tim Hudak into a corner. Either he supports a non partisan motion to write new legislation allowing a super majority of Municipal Councils in Ontario to remove a Mayor under extraordinary circumstances or he's grouped in with the sinking Ford Nation ship. He's going to have to finally disavow Doug Ford or go down with both brothers. I don't have any special insight into the Provincial Legislature but I get the feeling that a multi-party bill will be coming -- even if just to prevent this from happening again in the future.

I'm just SO EXCITED

I sincerely hope Ford doesn't screw it up tomorrow by doing something smart like voluntarily resining or taking time off. I want him dragged out of there kicking and screaming, never to be Mayor of our great city again.

TTM:

Well, his presence really doesn't matter - it can all be done in absentia with the minimum of fuzz. His presence just shows things down.

AoD

Maybe he's fooling everyone. It's possible he is being pressured to hang onto the job by Big Brother and other unsavory characters and this was/is his plan, his way out, without resigning?

I'm astounded that he's been too stupid to recognize that stepping down would have given him a very good chance at coming back mid election and running as a new man. That's not possible anymore. His brand has been too damaged and he's lost all his political allies. He's finished even if he goes to rehab. He won't anyway.
I was saying that to a co-worker of mine the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back