News   Jul 18, 2024
 468     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 653     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a bogus study! This line jumped out at me

"Welfare fraud rates have been said to be as low as (0.1%)27 yet still millions of dollars are spent in
deterring and criminalizing, often wrongly, those on OW."

There is no way that fraud rates are as low as 0.1% !

You sure showed that PhD-bound scholar -- who needs 'research' and 'statistics' and 'evidence' when you have your gut to tell you that "there is no way that fraud rates are as low as 0.1%".

As always, Peeper, you are a shining exemplar for Ford Nation.

Edit: Your anti-intellectualism is particularly amusing when juxtaposed with your tendency to reference the Sun and the National Post as credible sources.

Last edited:
No we shouldn't "just kick these people out on the street to die when they arrive" (that would be inhumane ). What we should do is put them back on the next flight to where they came from.

I dunno man, that's pretty xenophobic for someone who's trying to deny bigotry/racism. It's pretty telling that your response is "send them back where they came from!" rather than "we need to change the policy that bumps them up ahead of people who have been on the list for so long."

The really funny thing is your outrage at people gaming the system. Newsflash: people at every income level game the system, and I think if you did the research you'd find that wealthy people get far more out of "the system" - be it through tax loopholes or clever accounting, than poor people. I'm not saying it's right in either instance - but it's telling that you will use this as a reason to say that, well, none of them deserve anything because a few of them take advantage of what's there.

Also, repeating a Sun headline over and over doesn't make it real or true. You're just plain wrong about McConnell, which you'd know if you'd pull your head out of your butt for two seconds.

I am not an expert on this topic, so what appears below is not an attempt to throw bombs. Rather, I hope to take advantage of the intelligent and largely non-ideological expertise of this forum in order to educate myself.

Why is the affordable/subsidized housing model necessary? In theory, the market should send price signals in such a way as to efficiently allocate

I am not an expert on this topic, so what appears below is not an attempt to throw bombs. Rather, I hope to take advantage of the intelligent and largely non-ideological expertise of this forum in order to educate myself.

Why is the affordable/subsidized housing model necessary? In theory, the market should send price signals in such a way as to efficiently allocate

Because it's just a theory.

It's been shown not to hold up in the real world time and again.

Hey look! Anti-immigrant, anti-welfare propagandists! And here is the meaty core of good old English Canada showing its true colours.

The really simple answer is that housing is not a true free market. That may partly be because we have collectively decided that situations such as an entire family living in a single room are unacceptable, and that building codes and fire codes are needed to ensure safety. Partly it's because housing isn't really a discretionary expense, and it's not possible for buyers/renters to locate the very best price - we have to balance the best price that we can afford with other considerations, like whether it's close enough to our work to let us get there. Another consideration that arises specifically for rental housing is that landlords typically won't drop prices below a certain threshold even in markets where there are many more sellers than buyers*, and in a market like Toronto where vacancy rates are very low, landlords can raise rents quite high and still be able to find renters.

There are a lot of factors, but I'd stick with the simplest: housing isn't a true free market, and price signals are not effective in creating a sufficient supply of affordable housing that is also adequate.

*I've encountered a few reasons given for this: one is simply that the landlord has to charge enough rent to meet the carrying costs of the unit, and ideally make a bit of profit on it. Another is that landlords often don't want to price the rent too low, because in the long run it's better to let the unit sit empty for a couple of months and then rent it to someone who can afford what the landlord wants to charge, rather than rent it out to someone who can't. I've been looking at a lot of rental market data from CMHC over the past few months for various work projects, and it's really striking to see a steady upward trend in rent in communities where vacancy rates are 5-7% or higher.

A free market just means a market that's free of government control, within a defined band of price options. A single landlord, or even a group of landlords, doesn't have the economic power to control all the pricing elements of their housing stock.

A free market just means a market that's free of government control, within a defined band of price options. A single landlord, or even a group of landlords, doesn't have the economic power to control all the pricing elements of their housing stock.

You've never heard of collusion/price fixing?

@jpags 13m
Crown said the document & suggested redactions split into categories. One is the "essential narrative" related to criminal investigation.

@jpags 11m
The Crown said names of people identified as part of that "essential narrative" in criminal investigation should be made public.

@jpags 7m
In category where police interviewed people about things unrelated to "essential narrative," Crown arguing info should be blacked out.

@jpags 6m
Crown said one person falls into both categories. No one has said name in court. "We all know who that is," Star's lawyer tells judge.

So based on Jonathan Goldsbie's tweets, it looks like the judge will get written submissions from people named in the ITO before releasing to the public. The media lawyer wants submissions in by November 8th.

@goldsbie 1m
You have to remember that in the justice system, everything tends toward the slowest possible outcome.

Toronto Sun Court Columnist

Sam Pazzano ‏@SamPazzano 18m
Exhale people, the Lisi search warrant information is not coming out today but some information on Mayor Ford will be released soon.

Any guesses as to what will be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back