305     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 428     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 498     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
TTM: Well, let's not be facetious here - Stalin is at a whole different level of wrong - evil even. Certainly more competent as well, in his own twisted way.

AoD

Has anyone defended Layton's actions in this matter? You agree that an office holder being involved in the drug trade is worse than getting a handjob, so what is the hypocrisy here?

Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with Rob Ford? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with Rob Ford! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a crackhead mayor, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense?

Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that polling station deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must re-elect Rob Ford! Ford Nation rests.

Except that you are reaching here - first of all, those providing sexual services aren't necessarily all individuals who have been exploited and/or involved in human trafficking. Second, there are no collaborating evidence that this incident is criminal, much less representative of a pattern of behaviour and third, there is no evidence that it has affected his performance as an official. Even assuming that there was sex work involved, can you legitimately say that crack use and the close ties with drug traffickers is of the same level of wrong as utilizing the services of a sex worker? I don't know, can you show up to work looking like you're under the influence of a rub-and-tug (I guess you can, on a lighter note, with a big smile on one's face).

... but aren't you really just 'justifying' the same way that Ford nation does? Bad behaviour is bad behaviour, after all.

Look, I've already conceded that I believe the crack issue is worse. My point is not to exonerate Ford by pointing to Layton, but only to understand Cowboylogic's point a little better and counter the absurd 'lefties' are beyond reproach theme here. I mean come on, only 'righties' use stucco?

animated:

It's an attempt to discredit Ford's critics by the argument that they are incapable of levelling unbiased judgement. Shoot the messenger instead of message.

AoD

I detest Ford. I also detest the polarization of viewpoint and lack of balance or moderation that hijacks informed discourse. This is what breeds support for the likes of Ford as everybody rallies to their banner.

Has anyone defended Layton's actions in this matter? You agree that an office holder being involved in the drug trade is worse than getting a handjob, so what is the hypocrisy here?

You truly see no analogy here whatsoever? Wow, and some say Ford supporters are blind.

And just when did Rob Ford's qualifications for mayor involve a politician who a) never held that office, and b) is dead? Do Layton's failings somehow excuse the sitting mayor of involvement with murderous drug gangs?

Not at all, but explain to me how the ongoing support for Layton despite his indiscretions and lack of character or judgement is any different than the ongoing support for Ford? Either wrong is wrong or it's not, right?

Tewder:

... but aren't you really just 'justifying' the same way that Ford nation does? Bad behaviour is bad behaviour, after all.

Yes and no - we all tolerate bad behaviour to some extent because at the end of the day no one is a saint. But there are qualifications and limits to that - there is a bad behaviour (singular) and a pattern of bad behaviour (plural) Would anyone have an issue with say a one-off incident of drunken behaviour? Probably not - but when one has a history of doing that it becomes highly problematic.

I detest Ford. I also detest the polarization of viewpoint and lack of balance or moderation that hijacks informed discourse. This is what breeds support for the likes of Ford as everybody rallies to their banner.

Actually, do recall that the intentional polarization was started by Ford as a rallying cry - you don't drag in someone like Don Cherry and somehow accuse others of being immoderate (in fact, one can argue one of the major faults of Miller was being too moderate and accommodating - to the point of paralysis and mediocrity).

AoD

Last edited:

Look, I've already conceded that I believe the crack issue is worse. My point is not to exonerate Ford by pointing to Layton, but only to understand Cowboylogic's point a little better and counter the absurd 'lefties' are beyond reproach theme here. I mean come on, only 'righties' use stucco?

CowboyLogic. Tewder. Peepers. Anyone else who is making a fool of themselves right now. Repeat after me:

7 years. 7 years. 7 years.
of Lies. of Lies. of Lies.

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!

but explain to me how the ongoing support for Layton despite his indiscretions and lack of character or judgement is any different than the ongoing support for Ford?
One is dead. The other is mayor of this city and the topic of this thread.

Polarization happens when someone insists on reliving past sins of "the other side" even when they're tangential to the topic at hand. We don't need to make disapproval of John A MacDonald's boozing habits or JFK's philandering to be critical of the Fords.

From warrenkinsella.com

These lawyers need to do the right thing :p

Aha! If the half dozen or so copies of the video allegedly floating around are in the hands of defense lawyers, it would make sense that it hasn't been leaked yet. Violating lawyer-client privilege is a career-ending move.

Did Stalin build subways subways subways?

Yes he did! Using slave labour. If you did or said anything against Stalin, your next job was as a slave labourer building canals, railways, subways, to meet the five year plan at zero wages, very very minimal food rations, and living in unheated tents or barracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back