News   May 09, 2024
 465     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 776     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
spider:

It doesn't matter whether it is well south of 85K or otherwise - the question at hand is whether it is appropriate for a company to be expensing a vehicle through the chief magistrate, and whether it is appropriate for the chief magistrate to allow himself to be involved in such a scheme.

AoD

Did the mayor pledge to discontinue executive activities at Deco labels during his 4 year tenure as Mayor? He had no need to do so as there is no conflict of interest but if he did you may have a point.

I doubt if Mr. Ford would be the first incumbent Mayor to report more than one source of employment income on their T4.

He had no need to do so as there is no conflict of interest

Actually, there was:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ore-than-fancy-business-cards/article4201959/
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blo...to-mayor-in-pocket-sized-conflict-of-interest

And again, it's not the amount, it is the principle - and besides, considering the amount of trouble this mayor has gotten into over relationship between him and his family business (e.g. campaign financing), shouldn't one be evaluating these matters with a bit more care? Certainly any normal individual would.

AoD

Last edited:
Ford's attitude throughout is likely "who cares? I was democratically elected by the people"

I'd just like to point out that the Escalade is probably the tackiest, chintziest, lowest quality vehicle you can get in that price range. It's all shiny rims, faux-chrome, and wide seats wrapped in cheap leather. It's full of idiotic branded accessories and contains nothing of actual style, quality, or class. It's also completely ill-suited for Toronto driving. Draw your own parallels...

This is nothing but crazy gossip, and who gives a "rats ass" of what RF drives...back then no one gave a shite when Trudeau was driving around his classic Mercedes sports car while Maggie was getting shagged by Mick.
... Hahaha "Different strokes for different folks" :D

I'd just like to point out that the Escalade is probably the tackiest, chintziest, lowest quality vehicle you can get in that price range. It's all shiny rims, faux-chrome, and wide seats wrapped in cheap leather. It's full of idiotic branded accessories and contains nothing of actual style, quality, or class. It's also completely ill-suited for Toronto driving. Draw your own parallels...

This is nothing but crazy gossip, and who gives a "rats ass" of what RF drives...back then no one gave a shite when Trudeau was driving around his classic Mercedes sports car while Maggie was getting shagged by Mick.
... Hahaha "Different strokes for different folks" :D

funny that you mention mercedes.

for the price of the escalade - $85K+, which i agree is all chintz and tackie, the Fraud gang could have bought the mercedes GL (350 bluetec 4matic for $70.5K+, or 550 4matic for $88.9K+).

personally i wouldn't go for either cadillac or mercedes SUV but at least get good value for the money ...
heck, even the 350 bluetec is environmentally friendlier of all 3.
isn't that what RF and the gang keeps promoting?

Seriously, you cannot make this stuff up:

Mayor Ford denies knowledge of former neo-Nazi musician’s identity
ELIZABETH CHURCH
The Globe and Mail
Published Thursday, Jul. 26 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Jul. 26 2012, 6:22 PM EDT

A picture of grinning Mayor Rob Ford standing beside a former neo-Nazi musician, and the private meeting that followed months later, all took place without the mayor’s knowledge of the individual’s identity or history of racist comments, his staff says.

The picture, snapped at the mayor’s annual New Year’s Levee shows Mr. Ford with a man in a military uniform who is looking grim-faced into the camera.

That picture is posted on the Facebook page identified as belonging to Jon Latvis, the same name as a member of the neo-Nazi band, RAHOWA (Racial Holy War). Liberal strategist Warren Kinsella says he was alerted to the picture and put it on his web site Thursday morning, along with the question, “Why is Toronto’s mayor palsy with a former neo-Nazi icon?â€

In response, Mr. Ford’s office issued a statement a few hours later stating that the picture was one of hundreds taken during the January event.

“While having his photo taken with the Mayor, the gentleman in the photo requested a meeting with the Mayor to discuss issues of concern to him as a constituent,†it goes on to say. “The Mayor routinely receives these requests from members of the public and makes every effort to accommodate them whenever possible. In March 2012, the gentleman met briefly with the Mayor to discuss his concerns which primarily focused on transit issues.â€

At the Levee and the March meeting, “the gentleman identified himself using a name different from the one attributed to him in the recent blog article,†the statement said.

Mr. Kinsella told The Globe and Mail he is satisfied with the response, and if this person presented himself under a different name, "then the mayor can’t be blamed for that,†he said.

As a former political aide, he said the individual in question, dressed as he was in foreign military attire, should have raised some red flags with Mr. Ford’s staff and other individuals concerned with his security.

“My antenna would have been up,†he said.

On the Facebook page of Jon Latvis, the photo appears with this caption: "Me meeting with Toronto's Mayor, Rob Ford to get an endorsement for the Latvian Homeguard — at Toronto City Hall."

The mayor’s staff recognized the individual as someone who had met with the mayor at the Levee and again in March only after the photograph was posted online, the statement from Mr. Ford’s office says.

“At no time was the Mayor aware of allegations that this individual had made racist, hateful or otherwise offensive comments, nor were any such comments made during his meeting with the Mayor,†the statement says.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...r-neo-nazi-musicians-identity/article4442978/

Latvis+and+Ford.jpg

I honestly cannot tell which one has more conservative world views. :confused:

Is it too much to ask that one single day go by without having our mayor in the newspapers? (usually embarrassing Torontonians)

Is it too much to ask that one single day go by without having our mayor in the newspapers? (usually embarrassing Torontonians)

Hey, admitting it does show some progress. A few years back, he would have claimed it was just a Photoshop.

(Now that I think about it, this may have been one of those times where such an excuse would not only be justified, but believable too)

back then no one gave a shite when Trudeau was driving around his classic Mercedes sports car while Maggie was getting shagged by Mick.
I don't recall Trudeau driving it during this period of time. Wasn't it placed in storage for all of the 1970s, and didn't come out again until 1984?

Read today's news and you will find out why they all lied. It's because none of them paid for that car. It turns out the car is leased in the name of their Deco business and I would imagine, claimed as a business expense.
Wow ... I missed this.

The irony here, is that it was Rob Ford who personally complained to Canada Revenue that city employees were not being taxed for their free parking privileges at City Hall, and really screwed them over.

Hopefully one of them complains to Canada Revenue about Rob Ford not paying the income tax on this benefit as an employee, which he clearly using for personal and non-Deco business, rather than his business use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back