576     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 647     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kudos to the 21-year old new communications dude: the Rob Ford Twitter account is more active. I'm glad the taxpayers are getting good returns on their money.

Ford's people, such as they are, seem to be gearing up to deny the email-deletion story. Make of that what we will. It does seem they are getting more aggressive in responding to these allegations since the resignations.

The point of these press conferences seems to be to make the story about the media--to juxtapose Ford apparently doing his job with a press that can't 'move on' from the crack issue. Of course, the fact that Ford generally gets to work at noon doesn't help the effort. But he still has many sympathizers in the media, and some will buy this narrative.

allabootmatt:

Yeah, but I think deleting records permanently is pretty incriminating an act - not to mention criminal.

AoD

Last edited:
Can/are news outlets submit FOI requests for those emails? That is, are such staff emails usually fair game for an FOI request, without any other consideration (such as they might reveal a felony)?

That they might reveal a crime is a key reason why some FOI requests are made.

If information from a FOI request reveals or indicates the possibility of criminal activity, it would be forwarded to appropriate authorities - at least by any half-decent journalist.

Things are looking pretty bad for Ford with this stuff going on, the "electronic shredding party" so to speak. Incriminating for sure, as AoD says. Speaking as a former ITer, it's hard to imagine that electronically-stored stuff is not backed up. The deleting of computer based stuff is actually futile. Hardcopy records, well, that's a different story.

One gets the feeling that the big shoe is about to drop on Ford -- that a really big development is imminent. I'm watching.

One gets the feeling that the big shoe is about to drop on Ford -- that a really big development is imminent. I'm watching.

I believe you are correct. Wasn't the Star working on a larger story, of which the Rob Ford crack-smoking video was only one thread, which was made public rather prematurely by Gawker? Presumably the Mop & Pail's ;) expose of the Ford family's past involvement in high-level drug dealing would have been another thread in the tapestry. I do know I read that a fuller story was to be published later this week.

Last edited:
This is why the Star's frustrating for me. They're excellent with investigative journalism, and some news, but I completely disagree with their opinions.

The fact that I often feel the same way about the National Post probably means that you and I are "old school" non-tribalists who believe that our political opinions ought to be based on "facts" rather than just "beliefs".

I will bet, at this point, that City Councillors are mulling ways of neutralizing Ford.

-- >>> I am also sure that whoever steps up first to lead the effort will be accused of grandstanding. This is the issue, when we ask ourselves "where's City Council on this?".

I believe you are correct. Wasn't the Star working on a larger story, of which the Rob Ford crack-smoking video was only one thread, which was made public rather prematurely by Gawker? Presumably the Mop & Pail's ;) expose of the Ford family's past involvement in high-level drug dealing would have been another thread in the tapestry. I do know I read that a fuller story was to be published later this week.

I hope it's something substantial, not some circustantial fluff like the Globe and Mail story. The way I see it right now, Ford's popularity is like a cockroach- no matter how many times you you slap it, it'll just scurry off, make excuses, tout its achievements, and recover; you need to smack it hard enough to kill it on the spot.

This video is almost the perfect metaphor for Rob Ford. When confronted with something, completely deny that it could possibly be a problem. Continue onwards, denying the reality in front of you the entire time - "Nah, it won't get deeper, it'll get shallower and we'll be fine." Then, the reality of the situation takes over, and you realize you're in too deep. Start backing up, hoping no one is looking, and drive off sheepishly having done serious damage.

The only way it would really be the perfect metaphor is if the driver just kept trying over, and over, and over again, never learning his lesson.

Tulse:

Of course, the ironic thing is each attempt to destroy evidence just end up generating even more of it.

AoD

LoL. Perhaps that is the Fords' strategy... create a paper trail so long and so confusing, it will take several more years and a couple of elections before anyone can figure out that neither of them were ever actually elected. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back