363     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 518     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 861     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that all the Star has ever done is call the mayor out on his BS, rather than simply accept the constant propaganda and lies coming out of Ford's mouth, there's nothing that leads me to believe that they have an inherent bias against Ford. It's Ford that has a bias against reality.

There's been no big news today on the Ford front so the inmates are feeling emboldened.

So unless the Globe reports it, it didn't happen. At least you'll accept the fact that Doug Ford was a big time dealer!

God, we have people in here talking about the "international reputation" of the Toronto Star and trying to claim it is a "newspaper of record".

Maybe some of you deserve the current mayor.

Given the extreme bias of Star and the sensationalist agenda of Gawker I'm entirely unconvinced that whatever they saw is 100% crack cocaine.

OK, so stay with me here -- your theory is actually that someone else has created a fake video of Ford, and that the Star and Gawker were fooled by it? And fooled so badly that you could tell if it were a fake, but they couldn't?

So unless the Globe reports it, it didn't happen. At least you'll accept the fact that Doug Ford was a big time dealer!

Are you saying the Toronto Star is a "newspaper of record" with a stellar international "reputation"?

Please do not confuse the Globe with the Star. As for Doug Ford, if the Globe said that the mayor's brother was into dealing recreational narcotics, they (the Globe) are a much more serious newspaper than the Star, and I don't think would fabricate such a story unless they had serious proof that could stand up in court (in case of a libel suit).

Fair to say more likely than not?

That is fair. Beyond a reasonable doubt is a standard that is only required in criminal cases when someone's freedom is at stake. In civil actions the standard to be met is on a balance of probabilities (i.e. more likely than not). Did Ford smoke crack? I'd say, probably, yes. Is there a reasonable doubt that he smoked crack? That would be for a court to decide.

Are you saying the Toronto Star is a "newspaper of record" with a stellar international "reputation"?

Please do not confuse the Globe with the Star. As for Doug Ford, if the Globe said that the mayor's brother was into dealing recreational narcotics, they (the Globe) are a much more serious newspaper than the Star, and I don't think would fabricate such a story unless they had serious proof that could stand up in court (in case of a libel suit).

I agree that the Globe is more reputable than the Star, but it's still a long leap from there to say that the Star or its reporters, who are legitimate journalists, would totally fabricate a story.

That is fair. Beyond a reasonable doubt is a standard that is only required in criminal cases when someone's freedom is at stake. In civil actions the standard to be met is on a balance of probabilities (i.e. more likely than not). Did Ford smoke crack? I'd say, probably, yes. Is there a reasonable doubt that he smoked crack? That would be for a court to decide.

Even a video would not prove it was crack. It could be heroin, it could be marijuana, it could be tobacco. All a video would show is he's a liar and did in fact smoke (something) from a pipe, in the company of drug dealers. And he would have to go because of that... in disgrace.

A video would prove he's a lying dirtbag that smokes (something) in the company of drug dealers. Not necessarily crack.

This isn't real and maybe the one in question isn't either.
Yeah, that's it .... CrackFord and his henchman David Price were trying to get their hands on the video themselves, because they know it is fake. Given that the attempt to get this seems to have lead to the resignation of most of the competent staff in the Mayor's office, I think we can now stop with this "it's a fake/doesn't exist" lunacy.

I agree that the Globe is more reputable than the Star, but it's still a long leap from there to say that the Star or its reporters, who are legitimate journalists, would totally fabricate a story.

Given the severity of the claims I don't think any normal person would make it up. However, to be 100% certain I'd need to see a video. If they find it, the mayor is gone in disgrace. If it never is shown to the public, and never surfaces, we're stuck with him until the next election or he decides to resign.

If it exists, I'd really like to see it.

To be fair... I could have been persuaded to buy the fake vid theory if:

1) Rob Ford didn't hide for a week.

2) Hotmail.com lawyer didn't use "we don't know what Ford is smoking" argument.

3) Ford's COS did not attempt to convince him to go to rehab and then get canned.

4) Ford did not cut out his comm-team and use statements prepared by his family and himself.

5) Ford did not cause his comm-team to quit abruptly.

6) David Price and the police did not allude to the presence of a video.

Thankfully all of this DID happen, leaving the deniers as conspiracy theorists.

Actually no it is not. The Globe is considered the ONLY "newspaper of record" in Canada.

The Star, as I said, is a joke. It is not known internationally, nor have I EVER seen it quoted in a foreign country (other media). Breaking a story about a potential crack head mayor is exactly what I said.... tabloid.

I know hardcore Toronto Star readers are thick, but come one.

The Globe is a National newspaper. The Toronto Star is a city paper, and as such is probably among the most respected in North America. So strange, the people who go on about the Toronto Star. I guess it's sort of like the teabaggers complaining about the New York Times. Some people just don't trust any paper you can't read easily on the bus.

I can't believe I've been following this thread for the last couple of weeks and this is the post that made me register and respond. Oh well. Some great info here, by the way. This thread is my new crack:D.

I heard Jon Stewart reference the Star when he did his shtick on Ford last week. Does that count?

Also, isn't the Star part of some kind of newspaper ethics board, along with all other papers in Ontario? And didn't the Sun actually drop out of this organization, since they wanted to go full derp and publish opinion as news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back