44     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 130     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 549     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a year and a half enough to change someone like Mr. Ford?

You misinterpreted what I said. I don't think... no, I absolutely know that Ford will not change. What I meant is that that he could possibly be convinced to step down. I wrote "recovered" in quotes because that too would be a lie. If re-elected, he'd go back to his old ways.

Last edited:
I though you were just being skeptical on his ability to change- but you're definitely right on the point that Ford will likely never do so, even if it's better for him and our city.

On another note, one of Ford's bigger victories is convincing people that he's an honest person when his actions pointed otherwise.

Rob Ford video scandal: Skeptics common on Dixon Rd.
You can fake anything these days, is one typical response.
By: Alex Ballingall News, Published on Sun May 19 2013

In the golden light of a late Sunday afternoon, residents mingled outside strip malls, bus stops and highrise apartments along a stretch of Dixon Rd. in Etobicoke.

Ask pretty much anyone here about the most recent Rob Ford controversy — wherein someone who appears to be the mayor seemingly smoked crack cocaine, on a cellphone video shown to Star reporters in this neighbourhood — and you’ll get a smile or a nod. And then an opinion.

“Why does the Toronto Star always go after this guy?†asked Hayford Mensah, echoing Ford’s response to the story on Friday, when he called the report “ridiculous.â€

“No politician has ever been scrutinized like Rob Ford,†said Isaac Amankwaa, who drank coffee in a parking lot with Mensah. “He’s a very, very honest guy. He’s not very polished, but so what?â€

Others expressed incredulity at the notion of Toronto’s top elected official cavorting with drug dealers and allegedly smoking crack, or even that such a video could exist. Residents said they’d spotted Ford in the neighbourhood from time to time, but usually alongside his brother Doug Ford during campaign season.

“There are so many videos online that are not real,†said May Muthoni. “You can make anything these days.â€

Mustafa Sheikh, a local teen heading over to a basketball court with some friends, shook his head when asked about the story. If the video is legitimate, “It’s disappointing,†he said. “He’s a leader. He shouldn’t smoke (drugs).â€

A block away, leaning against a fence and smoking a cigarette, Ricardo Aguilar said he won’t be voting for Ford regardless of the video. The big issue for him is the lack of progress on the transit file, he said.

“I don’t find it hard to believe,†he said of the drug allegations. “I find it hard to know who would be so naïve to let someone film you doing something like that.â€

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05/19/rob_ford_video_scandal_skeptics_common_on_dixon_rd.html

Last edited:
On another note, one of Ford's bigger victories is convincing people that he's an honest person when his actions pointed otherwise.

The dumbing-down of our society.

just a question:

How many people among you would say:

"F*** minorities"

when you're surrounded by black drug dealers who are most likely armed?

just a question:

"F*** minorities"

Question:

Who would be stupid to shoot the Mayor of Canada's largest city while he tweaking on crack, when they can film it and make money?

Last edited:
Not to defend the guy, but he allegedly said "F***ING minorities", which is still entirely unacceptable but a little less direct and outrageous than "F*** minorities".
Still, if he said either of those things he shouldn't be allowed to continue as mayor of a major city, let alone be a parent.

just a question:

"F*** minorities"

Rob Ford could say some braindead things when sober. What he could potentially say if he was on crack is wide open to speculation.

I've never done crack, but from what I've read/seen it messes you up good. So saying this wouldn't be far fectched if he was in that state.

Heck, he could've said he hates fat people in that state, and it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Heck, an even more logical question to ask isn't what we say in his place, but why we would want to be stuck in a room with drug dealers in the first place.

AoD

“There are so many videos online that are not real,†said May Muthoni. “You can make anything these days.â€

Actually you can't. Not with the resources available to Rexdale crack dealers. You just can't fake a video, shot from around 2-3 feet away, that would convince anyone of its veracity (particularly three journalists who see hundreds of hours of video, both real and fake, every week). Peter Jackson and George Lucas could probably do it with a staff of dozens, but I don't think even the most batshit Ford apologist thinks these *crack dealers* are in that league.

I'm completely baffled by Ford's reputation as an "honest guy" and someone who "tells it like it is". He has a very long history of bold faced lying. I can understand the other qualities that his supporters see in him (his ideological purity, his personal devotion to his constituents, his ability to articulate the frustration that many people feel, etc). But why is honesty?? It's like saying what you really like about Harper is his warm and fuzzy personality or Justin Trudeau is the experience he brings to the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back