548     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 637     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Councillors like the Fords who love to solve minor problems (but seem uninterested in or unaware of the larger issues) will not like this; Councillors like Pam McConnell, Adam Vaughn and a few others who see the 'big picture' may have more time to study it. If Councillors and their staff could get away from solving these minor - but important - local problems then the number of Councillors could probably be reduced and those who remained could devote more time to the larger issues.[/QUOTE]

While he was a councillor he could get away with doing these minor constituency work. The problem is, now that he is major, he still thinks that is all he needs to do! What's more, Doug Ford, who is supposedly a businessman and therefore should be familiar with division of responsibility, delegation and such, agrees with his brother.

I am just flabbergasted.

^^ My take on that, is Rob Ford likes doing the easy stuff and avoids the more challenging tasks. He enjoys football, so he'd rather be coaching on a field, than reading manuals or things that require real work. He would much rather chat with people about their problems, then study how to make the structural changes that will actually solve those problems. When you grow up wealthy, never having to do the kind of work you don't enjoy doing, it gets really tough to develop the discipline to do the mundane things mayors have to do. Ford spends all his time with the little details because it's just less of a burden to him. If he can avoid things like studying the rules in a manual, he will. Remember, this is a guy who dropped out of first year university, two times. Hard work is not his forte. That's how wealthy frat boys live their lives. They usually do everything half-assed because they can get away with that. They only do enough to get by and that applies to Ford. He will continue to come in late, not show up, skip off work early to go coaching and schedule in lots of out of out-of-town trips, that include sports events. To him, that is hard work. Hey, the guy grew up with a silver spoon down his throat, so are people at all surprised? It just goes along with the territory. I've observed this many times, first hand, growing up and in the work place.

ford-bonk.gif

ROBFORD.gif

http://gamereax.com/non-sports-gif-rob-ford-walks-into-a-camera/

Councillors like the Fords who love to solve minor problems (but seem uninterested in or unaware of the larger issues) will not like this; Councillors like Pam McConnell, Adam Vaughn and a few others who see the 'big picture' may have more time to study it. If Councillors and their staff could get away from solving these minor - but important - local problems then the number of Councillors could probably be reduced and those who remained could devote more time to the larger issues.

While he was a councillor he could get away with doing these minor constituency work. The problem is, now that he is major, he still thinks that is all he needs to do! What's more, Doug Ford, who is supposedly a businessman and therefore should be familiar with division of responsibility, delegation and such, agrees with his brother.

I am just flabbergasted.[/QUOTE]

Rob Ford is basically an overpaid 311 operator.

On the topic of councilor workloads, I grew up in Ward 40 and I have NO IDEA what Norm Kelly does with his time. His website's news page hasn't been updated since January 2011, and before that was updated about twice a year (with important entries such as "Ward 40 Students Visit City Hall"). As far as I can tell, his biggest contribution as a councilor was getting them to fly the old Scarborough flag at the Civic Centre - which took him several years to accomplish after amalgamation.

I now live in Pam McConnell's ward (I also receive Adam Vaughan's newsletter). It's like night and day.

Also, the quip about Rob Ford being an overpaid 311 operator is spot on.

I'm subscribed to e-newsletters from Councillors Vaughan, McConnell, Fletcher and Wong-Tam because those are the areas that most directly affect me based on where I live and that I'm most interested in. They all send monthly newsletters and regular notices of meetings/events in their Wards plus their websites are kept up to date and current which keeps me plugged-in to what's happening around me. These are four Councillors who are truly working to keep their constituents informed and involved. I'm sure other Councillors do to but I can't speak beyond what I know with the four above mentioned Councillors.

I live in Mike Layton's ward; he also sends out regular newsletters and updates and tries to personally attend neighbourhood association meetings; when he can't, one of his staff does. His website is also kept updated.

LA has less than 4 million people. They also have 90 neighbourhood councils for local issues. It's also a much more homogeneous city in terms of urban form than Toronto.

LOL Jimmy Kimmel just showed this footage during his monologue.

Our Mayor is becoming internationally famous! The Daily Mail covered this story today!

I just caught the west coast feed of Jimmy Kimmel, after he ran it he re-ran it in slow-mo. Continuing embarrassment for Toronto, he's turned us into an friggen' joke.

LA has 15 councillors. We have 44. What the hell is going on here? LA has 10 million people.
London has over 1,000 councillors, and we only have 44. They have only got 7.5 million. What the hell is going on here?

And LA really? They have more councils than we have councillors! With their multi-level government, your just looking at what would be their equivalent of our Executive committee. You don't think they spend more $ on this than we do?

And where do you get 10 million people from? The City of Los Angeles (which is what we are talking about here), has only 3.8 million people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back