111     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 323     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 431     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the middle of all this, I'm wondering: whatever happened to that big mystery bombshell item on Ford that the Globe & Mail's been sitting on since last month...

^you mean for the last year, apparently?

Re: Mammolitti -- Isn't he the guy who went to the press about receiving threats from the mafia over the nightclub ("Meow"?) that was located in the motel at Lakeshore & Windermere? Had to be 10 or 15 years ago. Also, didn't he try to pass a bylaw requiring that cats be kept on leash?

^you mean for the last year, apparently?

Re: Mammolitti -- Isn't he the guy who went to the press about receiving threats from the mafia over the nightclub ("Meow"?) that was located in the motel at Lakeshore & Windermere? Had to be 10 or 15 years ago. Also, didn't he try to pass a bylaw requiring that cats be kept on leash?

This whole Rob Ford thing is busting open how completely unqualified people are running our city's or at least making the decisions while City staff run the city in spite of our leaders.

We seriously need to revisit the City of Toronto Act and require leaders to pass more stringent pre-requisites. An IQ test and a full psychological test should be minimum requirements along with a criminal background check.

This whole Rob Ford thing is busting open how completely unqualified people are running our city's or at least making the decisions while City staff run the city in spite of our leaders.

We seriously need to revisit the City of Toronto Act and require leaders to pass more stringent pre-requisites. An IQ test and a full psychological test should be minimum requirements along with a criminal background check.

Criminal background check for certain, but I'd have to disagree with the rest of it. Most of the tests that you could put to someone are unreliable at best and IQ is a terrible gauge of how competent someone actually is. The fault here isn't with Ford - it's with everyone else. The people who voted for him should have seen his ineptitude from a mile away, and the people that ran against him totally failed at countering an incredibly shallow, jingoistic campaign message.

This isn't even a left vs. right issue. We're in an era where being competent, intelligent and having an advanced education is seen by many as elitist snobbery, and you can be competent, intelligent and have an advanced education regardless of your political beliefs. People just don't care about big issues anymore until it actually causes a personal inconvenience... they just want the minutia of their daily lives taken care of for them. To them, the average Joe Blow who thinks and lives exactly like that IS the perfect candidate. This is why Ford still has so many supporters. Until more people can be motivated to see the bigger picture, politicians like Ford are going to remain a threat.

Our rightwingers are still obsessing about a Mayor that's been gone for more than two years. The list of things Ford has done on transit, for example, to set back the city's public transit for YEARS is long

Not obsessing. Just stating a fact.

Miller took us through a needless strike and made buying a house in this city more expensive. Also had no vision in his attempt to kill Porter which has turned into a huge success story.

Ford's an idiot for lobbying subways instead of streetcars? Gee, I wish Yonge/University and the Bloor/Danforth lines were streetcar tracks right now. Those planners back in the 50s sure were foolish to build subways.

Ford's an idiot for lobbing subways instead of streetcars? Gee, I wish Yonge/University and the Bloor/Danforth lines were streetcar tracks right now. Those planners back in the 50s sure were foolish to build subways.
What an absurd statement. No one has ever suggested those lines shouldn't be subway. A competent mayor would back subway where necessary (DRL and Yonge Extension), and something else where it wasn't. Ford put his money on subway on Sheppard, where the projected ridership is so low, that the real debate is whether it should be BRT or LRT.

Ford didn't push for a subway on the DRL - instead he wanted replace the exiting streetcars serving that route with buses. He didn't even stand his ground on the SRT extension being subway, and sold it out to save his precious Sheppard fantasy. And then, after winning concessions to get Sheppard as subway, he sat on his ass for a year, doing not a thing to actually get it built.

Why do people continue to support such a complete and total failure of questionable intelligence? I fail to see why those who made the mistake of voting for such a complete and total failure, don't simply put forward a candidate of similar views who is actually intelligent and competent.

Why do people continue to support such a complete and total failure of questionable intelligence? I fail to see why those who made the mistake of voting for such a complete and total failure, don't simply put forward a candidate of similar views who is actually intelligent and competent.

Ahh come-on, even if Doug Holyday, or even John Tory was in charge of the city, you guys would still be bitching.....many of you people are only happy with your Chows, Tams, Laytons, Vaughans, Perks, etc.etc.etc.

Ahh come-on, even if Doug Holyday, or even John Tory was in charge of the city, you guys would still be bitching.....many of you people are only happy with your Chows, Tams, Laytons, Vaughans, Perks, etc.etc.etc.

I'm happy with those listed who are part of and reach out into their communities regularly to get their hands dirty and learn what their constituents really want and need; the doers. You missed McConnell.

I expect people would be bitching no matter who was mayor.

But any of the people you have mentioned would be an infinite improvement. Rob Ford is an international embarrassment. I can't recall any mayor on the planet being ridiculed in the European press as frequently.

Even Mel Lastman has more class and more intelligence than this vile buffoon.

In 5h24m Rob Ford won't be Mayor. I'm betting on those left of his clique to turn their backs on Ford by the end of tomorrow. He won't get support for appointment and the right will put forward another Cinservative candidate to run in 2014. Ford is done.

In 5h24m Rob Ford won't be Mayor. I'm betting on those left of his clique to turn their backs on Ford by the end of tomorrow. He won't get support for appointment and the right will put forward another Cinservative candidate to run in 2014. Ford is done.
Which is a shame - Ford is so grossly incompetent, that he's quite ineffective. Those that are more progressive might be better off under Ford, who can't accomplish much - than a more competent person, who might actually be able to get things done.

As much as I'll be happy to see the back of him - I'm not actually convinced that this is the best move.

Rumour has it that Ford won the appeal. So perhaps a bit of stability of last.

Until he get's thrown out-of-office on another corruption issue ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back