857     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 709     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 611     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The church where Karla's maternal grandparents were wed moved in 1968 and its name was changed after that.

"… Holy Trinity Bukowinian Orthodox Cathedral, Ottawa’s first Orthodox church ... was founded at the beginning of World War I by Ukrainian immigrants from the Bukovyna region of the Austro-Hungarian Empire."

Yes, I saw the part about the move and the name change; it's the original address I'm trying to work out.

If Karla was the least bit proud of her Jewish roots (whether new found or not), she would've been at the debate supporting her goyim husband. Was she?

If Doug was the least bit aware of Karla's Jewish roots, he would've mentioned it at the debate. He didn't.

So, in spite of the awesome genealogical research posted here, I think we all knew he was lying right out of the gate.

But most people take no interest in their own heritage. They find it boring. Anyone of the Ford family mindset would probably find such things boring. So Karla's parents belonged to some kind of Pentacostal/Evangelist church. Her mother's parents were Eastern Europeans immigrants who declared themselves in all documentation found so far to be Eastern Orthodox Catholics and who anglicized their surname. It would take some digging to discover that they were somehow Jews who converted over 100 years ago. What are the chances that Doug has taken this kind of interest in his wife's heritage? He maybe would have known prior to their deaths her parents and maybe an ailing grandmother no one took much notice of. But suddenly when he thinks its a good response to reporters' questions he remembers this long buried aspect of his wife's background. Sure, it's possible. Maybe a cousin with an interest in genealogy recently discovered this and Karla has embraced it as a bit of colour in her identity. Anything is possible in this story. What were the possibilities of the soap opera twist that Rob would learn he has cancer just in time for Doug to replace him in the race? But it happened.

Steroids such as prednisone might be to counter inflammation.

Yes, I'm aware (thanks largely to posters on this thread!) that steroids are often prescribed in support of chemotherapy for nausea and inflammation. I was more wondering about whether they would be appropriate for someone with morbid obesity, given the weight gain they inevitably cause and the higher risk of heart attack.

I can't imagine that gaining even more weight is in any way going to improve Ford's chances of surviving chemo and possible surgery. Are there no non-steroid drugs that could assist with nausea and inflammation?

But hey, zero days of med school, I could be completely off base.

I saw my first Ford for Mayor sign this AM.
North side of St. Clair between Vic Park and O'Connor.

The only one I've seen. And I drove through Norm Kelly's ward.
Saw a shit-ton of Trustee Sam signs though. I cannot believe that people support that clown publicly.

Burnhamthorpe, from roughly Martin Grove to the East Mall, has more Ford signs than for any other person. Every time I drive there, my wife's blood pressure rises a few points.

There's a double standard going on, in which many people say that Chow should be stronger, tougher in the debates but whenever she does, is criticized for it.

Agreed, and FWIW, I thought Chow did much better in that last debate. She was lively and spirited, and she at least discussed some details and policy. Though I'm not in her camp, Chow might have had better % if she was like this from the first televised debate way back. Whoever told her to put on the "folksy" charms did not help her campaign. Then again I'm just tuesday morning quarterbacking. :p

As for Doug winning the Merryl Bowl. I think the chances of that is low, but not impossible unfortunately. Though I'm more inclined to believe Thug is keeping up (or told to keep up) the sideshow to take attention away from Rob trying for the Barony in Ward 2, and little lord fauntleroy Mikey for school trustee.

Yes, I'm aware (thanks largely to posters on this thread!) that steroids are often prescribed in support of chemotherapy for nausea and inflammation. I was more wondering about whether they would be appropriate for someone with morbid obesity, given the weight gain they inevitably cause and the higher risk of heart attack.

I can't imagine that gaining even more weight is in any way going to improve Ford's chances of surviving chemo and possible surgery. Are there no non-steroid drugs that could assist with nausea and inflammation?

But hey, zero days of med school, I could be completely off base.

My late husband's doctor told him that the side effects of chemo would be even more difficult to handle if they didn't use steroids. My husband got an extra medication injected to help control the nausea, as the steroids weren't enough.

Burnhamthorpe, from roughly Martin Grove to the East Mall, has more Ford signs than for any other person. Every time I drive there, my wife's blood pressure rises a few points.

Saw only three Ford signs yesterday in Scarborough in the Kingston Rd-McCowan-Eglinton area, none for any other merryl candidates. Also found a FordMayor decal stuck on a sign indicating a fire hall nearby (a pictogram of a fire truck). I emailed 311 citing "graffitti on City property" and received notification today that my 311 service request has been completed. I won't be out that way to check, but I'll take the quick response as meaning that they sent someone out to peel it off.

I should ask my wife how many Ford signs she saw, as she is in Ward 2 right now.

The only one I've seen. And I drove through Norm Kelly's ward.
Saw a shit-ton of Trustee Sam signs though. I cannot believe that people support that clown publicly.

That is where my parents live and I convinced them not to vote for Sam.

Last edited:
If Karla was the least bit proud of her Jewish roots (whether new found or not), she would've been at the debate supporting her goyim husband. Was she?

These guys aren't shy about using their families as political props.

My guess is that if she was in fact Jewish, "My wife is Jewish" Doug would have paraded her at the debate hosted by the United Jewish Appeal Federation of Greater Toronto and the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs.

Instead, he said he had a Jewish lawyer etc.

The former CEO of the Canadian Jewish Congress has spoken out:

"Doug Ford claims that his evangelical Christian wife and kids are Jewish-not so according 2 this site"
https://twitter.com/BernieFarber/status/519539150241165313

CP2Ford interviewed Mr and Mrs John Tory today.

"Will LeDrew & @CP24 also be interviewing Doug's Jewish wife any time soon? Enquiring minds .."
https://twitter.com/JBaratt/status/519543176554496001

Last edited:
I don't know how much trust you want to put into arrival records of even marriage registrations going back to the late 19th or early 20th centuries...Hebrew immigrants were for the greatest part very circumspect about revealing themselves to the point of marrying under Christian rite and fully anglizing names. Sometimes the only way you would find out they were Hebrew was on death given the Jewish burial rites and the necessity of being buried under your Hebrew name..

Doesn't seem to have happened with either of Karla's maternal grandparents though, plus they seem to have entered Canada with their actual names, married under those names and then changed them at a later date.

He's been signalling his openness to the Pride parade for a while--there's nothing really new about the formal announcement. the only thing that was weird was his total fumbling of the opportunity to go "big tent" at the debate.

Actually, Doug's refusal to answer the question at the debate about going to Pride was not a fumble at all. Remember how Doug brought a large contingent of Ford Nation supporters to cheer his every word? How big a cheer do you think they'd have given him had he announced his intention to go to Pride?

So his answer was strategic, intended to keep his team onside at the debate. He knew full well he could announce his intention to go to Pride at a later date to a full complement of media, without having to do so face to face with people like Iola Fortino.

I said "bordering on".

But, I should have avoided using that word here. In my employment, it was commonly used to describe the behavior of both women and men.

Sorry if any offence was taken, none was intended.

I agree with you, I have been called out on using the term "emotional", and accused of being sexist. In my experience we can all get emotionally involved in conversations, just like there is a drama queen lurking around in everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back