891     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 798     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 584     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but the comment about the other councillor is just odd - none of Rob's personal enemies give a shit about politics.

Yes it is odd. Almost reminds me of that strange craigslist letter. Am I still in Toronto, or did something happened in the dimensional multiverse where crazy just got crazier?

The report on CITY news about the "threat" was interesting. There was almost no attempt to disguise their bafflement and disgust at the idiocy and shamelessness of the Ford bros. actions. I'd quite like to see more of this sort of reporting.

I posted Wormingtons quote earlier "I'm a columnist, not a journalist". STFU Joe...

Did he actually say that? What an idiot.

A columnist IS a journalist. What he (theoretically) means to say is that he's not a REPORTER, which is a different kind of journalist.

the only thing I want more on Oct. 28 than Ford out is Warmington turfed. The Toronto Sun has never been a beacon of journalistic integrity but he has gotten so far down into the muck, gone so far beyond the bounds of journalism (and displayed such a tremendous lack of judgment) I can't imagine what value he will be to the Sun once his pipeline to the mayor he's gone. On the off-chance he's reading this: You suck, Joe, and are an embarrassment to the worst paper in the city and to the city itself.

It was indeed open. Do we know when the police were notified because they didn't show up till after noon.

Perhaps they were there last night, as that was when the threat was received?

Something seems odd here. While there was a lot of big news today, a terrorist threat against the city hall of the fourth largest municipality on the continent hardly seems like backburner news. And besides the questionable timeline lapses, how come this wasn't a police news conference? (Or was it? Guess I'm out of the loop.)

A columnist IS a journalist. What he (theoretically) means to say is that he's not a REPORTER, which is a different kind of journalist.

the only thing I want more on Oct. 28 than Ford out is Warmington turfed. The Toronto Sun has never been a beacon of journalistic integrity but he has gotten so far down into the muck, gone so far beyond the bounds of journalism (and displayed such a tremendous lack of judgment) I can't imagine what value he will be to the Sun once his pipeline to the mayor he's gone. On the off-chance he's reading this: You suck, Joe, and are an embarrassment to the worst paper in the city and to the city itself.

Several years ago Miller made a speech at a Remembrance Day ceremony, wishing for world peace. Warmington twisted his words to claim that he hated our troops. If Ford made that same speech, word for word, he would probably claim it to be the most inspirational addresses of our time.

I don't remember where I read this or heard this but a couple of journalists were commenting about joe Warmington and how he always wanted to become a columnist a la Margaret Wente (ie a pseudo famous columnist that people talked about). With the help of Rob Ford he's achieved that goal of infamy. Its kinda sad if you look at him in that lens. Jouranlistic integrity was never his goal - infamy was (its sorta like RoFo... vision was never his goal, escaping his mediocrity was)

Checking it out on Google Street View, there is a posted sign right before it which indicates it is a paid parking zone. Considering its abnormal distance from the curb (not to mention the fact that there is a tree in between as well) and the incomes of drivers in that area, I'm guessing most just pay the fine without a second thought. If someone wanted to fight it out of principle, they could likely force the city to move the pay parking sign ahead of the hydrant.

Checking it out on Google Street View, there is a posted sign right before it which indicates it is a paid parking zone. Considering its abnormal distance from the curb (not to mention the fact that there is a tree in between as well) and the incomes of drivers in that area, I'm guessing most just pay the fine without a second thought. If someone wanted to fight it out of principle, they could likely force the city to move the pay parking sign ahead of the hydrant.

here's the real mind-bender (you might need your Ford Nation calculator):

Is this ridiculous hydrant situation STEALING money from taxpayers, because it's an unfair fine....
OOOOOR
...is this SAVING taxpayers money, because the money goes to funding the police's parking operations.

Correct answer wins the one billion dollars the mayor saved.

As for Warmington: There are a million columnists I dislike or disagree with and I respect them to varying degrees. I've never seen anyone go so far into someone else's pocket. I'm sure he sleeps fine at night, knowing we're all discussing his "exclusive" interviews. But when Ford is gone he won't have them anymore and we won't be clicking over to read them. whatever opinions he might have about Mayor Chow or Tory will be meaningless and I expect he'll go from total to absolutely zero access to whoever it is. Ergo, he will be useless as a journalist which, despite his claims of innocence, is what his job is supposed to be when he writing for a newspaper. He's entitled to an opinion as a columnist, but he is not entitled to disregard certain basic ethics.

To paraphrase his latest article, it's repugnant and it must stop.

It's one thing for the hydrant to be located unusually far from the curb, but that photo leads me, once again, to wonder why the sidewalks on University are so freaking wide.

Originally it was a tree lined processional boulevard, for royalty and other dignitaries, leading up to Queen's Park. University then evolved to more of an avenue, hence the sidewalks to accommodate crowds and pedestrians.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back