580     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 683     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given his notoriety, I think it would be difficult to find a doctor (well, a licensed one anyway) performing that on him.

Dr.nick_pags_amarillas.png

I am now running with the theory that Ford is taking time off for weight loss surgery. His shithead family is constantly talking about his weight as the overarching issue, even in spite of everything else. By and large, most people's exposure to him is him being captured on camera, and what better way to say "Look, I've changed!" than a dramatic physically tangible change? He will claim that he "got clean" in rehab and cutting the booze helped him lose the weight, even though it's just the result of lypo and lap-band surgery (according to my working theory, anyway).

This theory "scans" for me; five out of five tinfoil caps.

Weight loss surgery is not something done on a whim, even for those with deep and overflowing pockets.

Certain medical levels must be stable in order for surgery to be attempted. You don't call up a practitioner and walk in two days later for gastric bypass or liposuction. Recovery for Roux-en-Y bypass (if all goes well) takes two to five days, followed by a few weeks off work.

You sure as heck aren't working out a day after surgery.

Regarding the Bernstein clinics, even I wouldn't wish that or Rob Ford. It was a horrible experience, more due to lack of any real medical care and transparency than the insane 800 calorie a day diet.

And yet it is somehow "poor form" to wish for their death. I just don't understand that. These aren't people-who-hold-different-views, but rather truly-scum-of-the-earth. Why is wishing for their death beyond the pale?

Well, it is in poor form in my opinion, but sometimes there's exceptions. I oppose unconditionally the concept of capital punishment or even life without parole (the dangerous offender designation in Canada is a better system; US style sentencing serves no one but opportunistic politicans) but there are days where I think it would be grand to move Bernardo, Pickton or Williams out of protective custody and into gen pop.

Last edited:
"A hundred grad" is exactly the number Rob Ford would pull out of his ass, too. Everything in his world costs a hundred grad or a million bucks or some other 4th-grader's conveyance of the idea of big money. There are questions about how long he's staying, etc., that might naturally affect the cost of a rehab program, but no, the number's a hundred grad.

"Twenty Christmas Presents".

Planned weight loss surgery and recovery in Chicago?

Wouldn't there be a waiting period to get a procedure that done in Canada? It seems rather unlikely to me that he could just check into a hospital for elective surgery a couple days after getting turned back at the US border.

I guess it could be that he's just in hiding while he waits for a surgery slot to open up, but to me it also seems unlikely the stingy Fords would pay the $50k+ it would probably cost to have it done in the US in the first place when it could be done for free in Canada.

It would also be a pretty huge coincidence for them to have him scheduled to fly out for surgery the morning after the new recordings surfaced.

A family member of mine got gastric bypass surgery. It required NUMEROUS pre surgery doctors appointments, tests to make sure she could have the procedure, her losing weight before hand and showing an actual commitment to her health (i.e. showing a change in diet and behaviour), therapy appointments and a LONG hospital stay after the surgery. It definitely wasn't a fly by the seat of her pants procedure. She also had to travel to do it (eta: I'm actually unsure of this now, she may have had it done in TO? And it was her partners surgery that they had to travel to Quebec for). Someone else I know had to go to Rochester for theirs. You can't do it on a whim, and most doctors (especially those in Canada) have strict requirements about care before and after the surgery.

Josh Visser ‏@joshvisser 39m
Doug Ford also once again says rehab doctor (who is unknown and thus, unbotherable) called him to ask media to back off.

Ummm... if the media doesn't know where Rob is why would the doctors care if they are rampant with speculation. They don't know where to camp out...

Tangential aside: accupuncture is faaaar from "hippy dippy". It has been around, and helping people heal, a lot longer than rehab, psychology, or contemporary western medicine.
Accupuncture (and massage etc) would probably help people in recovery A LOT. Trauma is stored in the body in different ways. Working with the body helps to release the emotions around that trauma, which in turn, helps someone understand their addictive behaviour.

Numerous studies have been done on acupuncture. They're all over the place, but the more recent empirical studies say it does nothing more than sheer placebo effect.

There's a fabulous article by Yale neurology professor Dr. Steven Novella (also a huge advocate of evidence-based medicine):

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/acupuncture-doesnt-work/

I don't know where the gastric surgery thing is coming from but it sounds like complete tinfoil bullshit to me.

I now know for sure he's in an in-patient rehab facility (can't reveal location). The Timmies spotting is strange though. Maybe he temporarily bailed for some reason and then returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back