1.4K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just "A Trailer Park Boys actor". No name?

Why do I think that this actor is actually a double agent?

I think it's Mr. Leahey, which is of course, awesome.

So in the last 24 hours, Doug has freaked out over someone offering a fake date with his daughter for a fundraiser, Rob has hired a disgraced Olympian and an actor known for playing a pathetic shithead to work on his campaign, and has been left with 10,00 eggs that he foolishly purchased for an Easter parade he was dis-invited too.

And this is pretty much a normal day in Toronto. I have to say, a very small part of me is going to miss this insanity when it's over. We'll never see times like these again. Which is good, but I can't tell you how much I laughed when I saw that picture of Ford with all those eggs.

edit: It's Sam Losco, not Mr. Leahey. Not quite as good, but it's still pretty funny.

That derisive "centre of the universe" comment has never been uttered by any Torontonian that I know. I only hear it when I'm outside of the city. There is a pervasive resentment of T.O. in this country to be sure but it's based on the attention that Toronto gets, not any belief on the part of its citizens that we are better than anyone else.

We're getting off topic here, but I have to respond. I moved to T.O. from the west coast about 25 years ago. No, I have never heard any Torontonian say that they think the city is the centre of the universe. But saying is different from acting and thinking. It is the perceived attitude that "Toronto is Canada" that rankles; that whatever happens here happens everywhere; that every Canadian's experience of their country is the same as a Torontonian's; that Torontonians can speak for everyone in the country.

There's the Winnipeg Ballet and the Winnipeg Theatre Centre; the Vancouver Opera Company; the Montreal Symphony; and Theatre New Brunswick. But the local ballet company in Toronto is called the National Ballet of Canada; the local opera company is the Canadian Opera Company; a local theatre company is Canadian Stage. These organizations seldom tour to Regina, Prince Rupert, or Dartmouth; their scope and audience are decidedly not national, yet they make the claim. I remember reading an article in the Star a dozen years ago in which the writer waxed nostalgic over her childhood memory of "the quintessential Canadian summertime experience." She was remembering riding the Queen streetcar from the west end to the Beach and eating ice cream. As if every person in Lethbridge or Charlottetown fondly recalls that childhood thrill. The Globe and Mail publishes across the country and calls itself "Canada's National Newspaper" -- and 90% of the content is about Toronto and Ontario. (I refer to it as "Toronto's National Newspaper.") This kind of stuff is absolutely pervasive in this city, but Torontonians don't even notice it.

I think Viljo Revell nailed it when he designed a city hall where not a single window faces outward; you can't see the rest of Canada from here. And that's what bothers people outside this city.

I said it before, around the Kimmel thing and it keeps becoming more clear: This is not about campaigning for mayor, it's about celebrity at this point, and maybe a reality show (which we know has been actually offered to them). No reasonable person would bring in a celebrity whose main claim to fame is a DRUG DISGRACE at this point, but there's Doug, doing his thang. It's possible even Rob doesn't know what he's doing.

This is a great interview with Doug, btw, where he spouts his talking points with great gusto. The Vaughan fundraiser is going to be (obviously!) "The biggest event in Toronto history"! Bigger than the two World Series wins, bigger than the Pan Am Games, bigger than the fricking War of 1812!!! (Even though it's in Vaughan)

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-stor...ign-fundraising-event-for-brother-in-vaughan/

“It will be the largest ever in Toronto’s history. You will see all kinds of people there,†he said.

Doug also had some words for his brother’s rivals for the mayoralty.

“Rob doesn’t hang out with the champagne-sipping elitists. He’s not like John Tory with Rogers, who has so many conflicts with sitting on so many different boards. Rob stands up to Rogers and Bell and these big corporations who want $10 million in taxpayers’ money for a government loan,†he said, referencing a recent council vote that will see the city loan Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment $10-million to expand BMO Field. The Fords voted against the motion.

“If you want to talk about character, we’ll talk about character. Rob has more character in his baby toe than John Tory and Olivia Chow put together,†Doug said.

P.S.

We're getting off topic here, but I have to respond. I moved to T.O. from the west coast about 25 years ago. No, I have never heard any Torontonian say that they think the city is the centre of the universe. But saying is different from acting and thinking. It is the perceived attitude that "Toronto is Canada" that rankles; that whatever happens here happens everywhere; that every Canadian's experience of their country is the same as a Torontonian's; that Torontonians can speak for everyone in the country.

There's the Winnipeg Ballet and the Winnipeg Theatre Centre; the Vancouver Opera Company; the Montreal Symphony; and Theatre New Brunswick. But the local ballet company in Toronto is called the National Ballet of Canada; the local opera company is the Canadian Opera Company; a local theatre company is Canadian Stage.

I don't buy it. This is all perception. What about the Royal Winnipeg Ballet and Canada Place in Vancouver? New York City has the "American Museum of Natural History," but I don't think anyone in Dallas complains about that and feels left out. Really, it's a mountain out of a molehill. Toronto is not the entirety of Canada, obviously, but is the biggest city. These organizations have long histories - just like the Montreal CANADIENS - that have nothing to do with chauvinism.

Last edited:
“Rob doesn’t hang out with the champagne-sipping elitists."

Now it's champagne? What happened to the wine-sipping elitists? Did Doug find out that wine was being served at his mom's house during Ford Fests?

It's rather funny that Ben Johnson has joined the Ford team. He never made a successful comeback after his drug scandal. A premonition, perhaps?

I said it before, around the Kimmel thing and it keeps becoming more clear: This is not about campaigning for mayor, it's about celebrity at this point, and maybe a reality show (which we know has been actually offered to them). No reasonable person would bring in a celebrity whose main claim to fame is a DRUG DISGRACE at this point, but there's Doug, doing his thang. It's possible even Rob doesn't know what he's doing.

This is a great interview with Doug, btw, where he spouts his talking points with great gusto. The Vaughan fundraiser is going to be (obviously!) "The biggest event in Toronto history"! Bigger than the two World Series wins, bigger than the Pan Am Games, bigger than the fricking War of 1812!!! (Even though it's in Vaughan)

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-stor...ign-fundraising-event-for-brother-in-vaughan/

Republicans do seem to have problems with geography.

“Rob doesn’t hang out with the champagne-sipping elitists."

Now it's champagne? What happened to the wine-sipping elitists? Did Doug find out that wine was being served at his mom's house during Ford Fests?

Bubbles
are coming up a lot lately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back