News   May 16, 2024
 728     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.8K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such utter bullshit.
I believe the T. Dot was smited with Mayor Rob Ford because of this "centre of the universe" attitude many citizens have.
The only effect he has outside of Toronto is weakening the city's image through the humiliation of having elected the guy.
Even Womback, Saskatchewan is laughing at you, FFS.

As a former prairie boy with lots of friends and family still living in Saskatchewan, I can confirm this.

Such utter bullshit.
I believe the T. Dot was smited with Mayor Rob Ford because of this "centre of the universe" attitude many citizens have.
The only effect he has outside of Toronto is weakening the city's image through the humiliation of having elected the guy.
Even Womback, Saskatchewan is laughing at you, FFS.

That derisive "centre of the universe" comment has never been uttered by any Torontonian that I know. I only hear it when I'm outside of the city. There is a pervasive resentment of T.O. in this country to be sure but it's based on the attention that Toronto gets, not any belief on the part of its citizens that we are better than anyone else.

And outside of Canada - people will immediately ask about Rob Ford when they learn you are Canadian. It makes me long for the days when people knew precisely zero about Canada. This is nothing to be proud of.

Even Bill Clinton said that Rob Ford "has absolutely destroyed every stereotype people have about Canadians". Not about Torontonians, about Canadians.

That derisive "centre of the universe" comment has never been uttered by any Torontonian that I know. I only hear it when I'm outside of the city. There is a pervasive resentment of T.O. in this country to be sure but it's based on the attention that Toronto gets, not any belief on the part of its citizens that we are better than anyone else.

Exactly. The COTU stuff comes from self-consciousness as well. If they don't make some kind of remark about the attention Toronto gets, they'll make sure to tell you, just in case you were thinking of asking them, that they 'could never live there' due to various scary things they may or may not care to mention (expense, traffic, crime, people who look different from them).

incompetent corrupt police chief

I'm no great fan of the way TPS has handled this whole thing. Emphatically not, in fact. As Clayton Ruby asked last week: why on earth did they not stealthily sample the packages Ford & Lisi were trading? They do it all the time and if Ford was a young black man he would have been arrested long ago.

That being said, I think you should be very, very cautious about using the words "corrupt" and "police chief" in the same sentence.

"Incompetent"? That's just like, your opinion, man, but "corrupt" has a specific meaning which may well leave you open to all sorts of legal action. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not about to accuse the Chief of Police of being corrupt until I see cold, hard evidence that he is in fact corrupt... and I'm not seeing that.

Bear in mind that I say this as someone who has in the course of this thread questioned Ron Taverner's status as a Ford family friend and what that relationship might mean about how the Fords are treated by the division run by Taverner.

Last edited:
When Canadians refer to Toronto as "the Centre of the Universe", I take it as envy.

One-third of Canada s population is located within a 160 km radius of Toronto, and one-half of the population of the United States is within a 1 days drive.

After Metro lifted the Residency Requirement to join our Emergency Services ( bad idea, in my opinion ), I found it interesting that paramedics with many years experience

elsewhere were willing to leave to pursue their “dreams†as they put it to work in Toronto. I've heard the same about TPS and TFS.

Toronto is Canada's Big Apple, "If you can make it here, you'll make it anywhere!"

From the Ford Nation Facebook page (not sure if contest is legit or not):

EXCLUSIVE FORD NATION CONTEST: All those attending the first Rob Ford Fund-raiser on May 8th will be entered into a draw to win a date with the Mayor's beautiful niece Krista Ford !!!

HELP ROB FORD STOP THE GRAVY TRAIN FROM RETURNING TO CITY HALL!
May 8th, 2014 - 7:00pm
Riveria Parque Banquet and Convention Centre
2800, Highway 7, Concord, ON

Tickets: $300 (You will receive a $225 rebate from the city of Toronto, actual cost $75).
https://www.facebook.com/thefordnation

From the Ford Nation Facebook page (not sure if contest is legit or not):

EXCLUSIVE FORD NATION CONTEST: All those attending the first Rob Ford Fund-raiser on May 8th will be entered into a draw to win a date with the Mayor's beautiful niece Krista Ford !!!

HELP ROB FORD STOP THE GRAVY TRAIN FROM RETURNING TO CITY HALL!
May 8th, 2014 - 7:00pm
Riveria Parque Banquet and Convention Centre
2800, Highway 7, Concord, ON

Tickets: $300 (You will receive a $225 rebate from the city of Toronto, actual cost $75).

Oh Gods. *facepalm*

MM tweeted that one possibility could be that the TPS is looking into extortion with a gum, which apparently is a life-long prison sentence. When reading this, I remembered this strange line in one of Kevin Donovan's article mentioning guns. I wonder if there's a link....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back