4.7K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 684     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the way to read it is good and bad. The crown is onside with TPS ....Buuuuut OPP wants more.
It all cuts both ways...Rob Ford wasn't going to go for, "Yeah, we'll have to charge you and Sandro but if you come in and talk to us, we'll also charge Siyad!" Ford wanted it all to go away and it's working, to a limited extent. There's no way this means no charges - just a longer wait.

Hold on.

I think I've connected some dots that have me retreating from the ledge. I'd like to hear feedback on this :

Yesterday, Jimmi T's source speculated that the OPP was causing the delay on the arrest that MM was predicting. The reason was that the OPP wants Siad et al. investigated as well for their roles.

Today's Star article confirms Jimmi T's speculation. It doesn't spell out the reason as clearly as JTs source. However there is an important part of the press release that talks about new information being needed by OPP from TPS if they are to move forward. JTs source fills in the blanks. That new information must be an OPP request for an investigation into the wiretap allegations from the ITO that Siad et al had approached Ford with the video and demanded money. It stands to reason that if what Ford did was illegal, what Siad did was as well. You can't go after either one exclusively.

We know that the crown and judges have vetted the charges against Ford. MM still stands by his source saying Ford will be arrested, but the timeline shifted. The ball is back in TPS' court. I'm sure we'll hear more from MM's TPS when he gets back. He said yesterday he speaks to his source in person.

Investigating Siad et al is a good move. It will remove an indication of bias about the investigation when it comes to trial.

*Deep Breath*

I hope this is correct, but the TPS leaks in response to the hold up don't indicate a sort of master strategy at work here to solidify charges. The sense from the article is the OPP from the get go viewed Ford as a victim, and seemed to care little about the extortion plot to retrieve/suppress the video.

I suppose one thing to look out for now is how Rob Ford reacts to these latest developments. We know he doesn't answer questions but we also know that when he's under a huge amount of stress he starts to act up. If he knows that he's not in the clear, he'll do something foolish. But if he shows up to work whistling and jolly, we're screwed.

I suppose one thing to look out for now is how Rob Ford reacts to these latest developments. We know he doesn't answer questions but we also know that when he's under a huge amount of stress he starts to act up. If he knows that he's not in the clear, he'll do something foolish. But if he shows up to work whistling and jolly, we're screwed.

He's clearly too dumb for anyone to take anything from his reaction.
Doug will use this to spin the political card, and the victim card. The Star breaking it is a double-edged sword. It's helping TPS cover their asses and putting OPP on the spot, but it's also tipping their hand substantially to the Fords (who, for all we know, guessed a lot of this already). People on this board had some sense of where things are at - for much of the public, this will come as news that they are this close to an arrest.

I'm thinking not necessarily. I think by default he will show up giggling because the article has caused all sides to say WTF no charges? This plays in his favour and allows him to lie and say i told you so...doesnt matter if its true...

I wonder how many helicopters the OPP were promised with federal money for their role in this? Or is it just an organizational culture that assumes wealth and privileged persons don't commit heinous crimes? My friend in government told me the OPP views itself as Canada's finest police force. Nothing could be further from truth.

I wonder how many helicopters the OPP were promised with federal money for their role in this? Or is it just an organizational culture that assumes wealth and privileged persons don't commit heinous crimes? My friend in government told me the OPP views itself as Canada's finest police force. Nothing could be further from truth.

As someone who works in the criminal law field, I can tell you with certainty that nothing is further from the truth.

From The Gawker article, my recollection is that it was not the intent to sell the video to Ford but to the media. It is possible that Ford was not Blackmailed about it. If the holder of the video gave Ford a price for the video upon request, while they were shopping the video to the media, is that still blackmail?

That is a VERY good point.

I hope this is correct, but the TPS leaks in response to the hold up don't indicate a sort of master strategy at work here to solidify charges. The sense from the article is the OPP from the get go viewed Ford as a victim, and seemed to care little about the extortion plot to retrieve/suppress the video.

That's my opinion as well. I also think that the OPP was well aware of the HUGE investigation of the Ontario Liberals re: gas plants, so the boss could have said "find a way to throw this back and let's move on".

As someone who works in the criminal law field, I can tell you with certainty that nothing is further from the truth.

I have family members in the RCMP and the OPP and Toronto police have terrible reputations Canada-wide. They always knew which fingerprints came from Toronto because the ink often had significant amounts of the person's blood in it.

I've been reading this thread for several months and wanted to post a thought re the news out today. My read was that the OPP is relinquishing oversight back to the TPS. The article says that "the OPP, at least for now, removing itself from the probe". Would this not imply that TPS is good to go again/

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back