370     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 853     2 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 649     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't listen to Doug's voice if I can at all help it. His creaky, croaky tone and folks-y syntax are like he's aping someone older, and everything he says is dripping with unctuous, dishonest, unchallenged exaggeration.
You nailed it, the lemur. It gives me the creeps, every time I'm forced to listen to it. I believe he's positioning himself to "take over" the campaign as candidate when Rofo is charged. I just want him gone, gone, gone.

Not to get all political or anything, but you know what pisses me off? People treating speculation about someone's sexual orientation as if it were some kind of slur. Frankly, it's about as much of a slur nowadays as speculating if someone dyes their hair.

Getting all drama queen about "spreading unsubstantiated rumours" about such is damn insulting. FFS, the entire internet, and this thread specifically, is a seething morass of rumour.

At least that's the opinion of this 50 year old gay guy.

Ford Celebrity Fantasy

I lean toward the latter explanation because it would make me sad to think that anyone would actually think it was a good idea to publicly whine about Kevin Spacey asking to be left alone.

Doug Ford has a well-documented tendency to retaliate to anyone he believes has insulted Robbie boy. It's quite possible this is simply a revenge move.

In his typical bull in a china shop way, he probably didn't bother to research in advance of his Youtube comments whether the request to be left alone actually came from Spacey's people or Kimmel's. Anyone who has worked for a corporation where there is a chance that someone famous might be guest knows that this is a standard rule for all guests.

Ford doesn't understand that the type of celebrity they are experiencing, with a few gawkers, and a handful of photo-op's is quite different than the intrusive, in-your-face, paparazzi, life threatening harassment that plagues most a-list actors. Corporations invent such rules for security reasons and for the comfort of their on-air guests. It's not a slight against the "common man" at all. If these two assholes were capable of putting themselves in someone else's shoes, they'd have been able to figure it out on their own.

As the Fords already believed they are the Kennedy's of Canada, and have compared Rob's celebrity to that of the Kardashian's, it would not surprise me if they believed this is all real celebrities have to deal with. Since we all saw the photos of them walking through Hollywood unmolested, it's pretty clear that they are not the red-hot properties

If you don't believe in gaydar you must be straight.

I'm sorry, still not buying it. You can't just point to the news headlines without taking into account the possible reasons for the outcome. I had several problems with this study:

1.) The study wasn't exactly in the spirit of the myth.
There was far too much information given to the participants. The gaydar myth is based on the assumption that gay people can spot another one another just by glancing at them. This study was more about guessing the sexuality of a person after listening to and watching them for a period of time. We all give off clues about who we are, not just our sexuality but about many of our personal traits. Given enough time, I suspect that some clues may have emerged that straight people might miss. However, since Kevin Spacey is a skilled actor who studies, then mimics mannerisms and vocal inflections, it's really unlikely that he would give clues that way.

2.) There was not enough people in the study. Only 25 gay men, 23 gay women and 25 heterosexual men, 22 heterosexual women. It doesn't begin to capture the wide range of human sexuality. Further, there was no asexual or bisexual people to really test the theory.

3.) Although the gay participants did better than the heterosexual ones, they could not determine the reason. There are questions about whether there are cultural or other learned behaviours which would factor in. If gaydar was a real thing, wouldn't it cross borders? If it's simply a cultural signal, those signals would change across generations and regionally.

I have trouble with the way such studies are reported. The newspapers you linked to reacted like gaydar was confirmed as a real phenomenon yet the study was not conclusive. But, nice try. ;)

I won't bore everyone here with more posts on the topic. To bring it back to the Fords - while I believe the Fords to be capable of anything, and as they have shown in the past they they are uncomfortable with homosexuality, it should not surprise me if they tried to ignite supporters by hinting the actor is gay. But since Spacey's movies and tv show are too high-brow for this pair, I'm more inclined to believe they barely know what he does and weren't even aware of the rumour. They're just vengeful pricks.

Not to get all political or anything, but you know what pisses me off? People treating speculation about someone's sexual orientation as if it were some kind of slur. Frankly, it's about as much of a slur nowadays as speculating if someone dyes their hair.

Getting all drama queen about "spreading unsubstantiated rumours" about such is damn insulting. FFS, the entire internet, and this thread specifically, is a seething morass of rumour.

At least that's the opinion of this 50 year old gay guy.

Saying "How dare you accuse him of being gay?" does send kind of the wrong message.

I'm sorry, still not buying it. You can't just point to the news headlines....

Nothing I posted was a “news headlineâ€. There are 690 academic papers, books, and book reviews that come up on a quick search of the word ‘gaydar’ on LexisNexis .

“I’m still not buying itâ€. Well since this seems to be all about you, I’lll say that you’ve clearly got a case of Newbie Hubris, so I am going to leave you with your uh, “certitudeâ€, due to my lack of interest.

Anyway, you’re at 30-odd posts. Maybe if you stick around UT long enough, you will meet a gay person.

I don't listen to Doug's voice if I can at all help it. His creaky, croaky tone and folks-y syntax are like he's aping someone older, and everything he says is dripping with unctuous, dishonest, unchallenged exaggeration.

Kudos for using the word unctuous correctly. Too often it's used ignorantly in the description of tasty food.

Saying "How dare you accuse him of being gay?" does send kind of the wrong message.

I don't think anyone's said that. My particular issue is the assumption that he IS gay, based on the fact he's never been seen on a date with a woman (nor, for that matter, a man), and the spreading of that as if it's fact. Spacey is a private guy, and speculation that he's gay has erupted from this privacy, rather than any data, proof or otherwise.

For the record people think he's gay because he got "mugged" in a well known cruising park in London at 4:30 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back