177     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 803     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 542     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many of these TCHC buildings and others that he is visiting will be hosting polling stations? If I was a smart candidate I would target buildings I know where there will be lots of people who might just walk by a polling booth and think "well, gee Rob came and visited me I guess I can go vote while I'm waiting for the elevator"...

Anyways - if he's doing a building or two a day, it works out to a large number of people over a few months/years...it'd be crazy to think that doing this isn't positive for him...probably one of the only few things that might win him votes (besides subways to scarborough)...it actually appears that the more time he is at city hall the worse things get for him...

It's also very hard for other candidates to compete with this...first they need to get access to the building, second they need to do it all day every day...third they need to be able to fix problems (which in theory Rob can do with a phone call to TCHC headquarters or whatever...)

The other interesting angle is that he is really only hitting people that are home during the day...stay at home parents, elderly and unemployed (amongst others)...all three of which are demographics that probably like the "stop the gravy train"...I'd be interested what the reaction would be if he showed up at these buildings after dinner...

Anyways, if people think that he's going to lose votes by doing this they are wrong...

I don't think anyone was saying that it was an ineffective way to get votes, merely that it was a crass one.

reading her book vs. subways, subways, subways and lower taxes.

hmmm i wonder which rhetoric will gain more traction?

I'm sure she will fill us in over the next 7 months. Geez, what is it with people?

I hate the fact that people want to make up their mind now. There are too many people who think that changing your opinion when presented with new information is some kind of "flip flopping" or weakness. They will then "dig in" and stand behind their original opinion no matter what kind of arguments and evidence you present. And they're actually proud of that!

I honestly don't know who I'm supporting and I look forward to learning more about them over the coming months. What's the rush? Have an open mind and take your time to find out about people; this is important!

I'm sure she will fill us in over the next 7 months. Geez, what is it with people?

I hate the fact that people want to make up their mind now. There are too many people who think that changing your opinion when presented with new information is some kind of "flip flopping" or weakness. They will then "dig in" and stand behind their original opinion no matter what kind of arguments and evidence you present. And they're actually proud of that!

I honestly don't know who I'm supporting and I look forward to learning more about them over the coming months. What's the rush? Have an open mind and take your time to find out about people; this is important!

I agree. Although I do find that I am getting annoyed with a couple of the participants right off the bat. Why on earth is the municipal election 10 months long? That doesn't happen with provincial or federal elections.

There are too many people who think that changing your opinion when presented with new information is some kind of "flip flopping" or weakness. They will then "dig in" and stand behind their original opinion no matter what kind of arguments and evidence you present. And they're actually proud of that!

Exactly. The first time I heard this used politically was against John Kerry. I remember being shocked at the time, and thinking "changing your mind in the face of new information is a negative??" His campaign seriously bungled that one, for not making the Republicans look like the idiots they were for suggesting that. And then it was repeated enough, it became a thing. Sigh.

Why on earth is the municipal election 10 months long?

Because the mayoral candidates have to campaign in 44 wards. It takes a lot of time and money. ( And fridge magnets and selfies. )

It was much simpler when the members of Council elected one of their own as the Chairman, or Super-Mayor.

Last edited:
It truly does eems wrong that close to 1/4 of your term as Mayor would be spent campaigning again if you sought reelection.

You never know. There could be a dark horse quietly waiting out there while the others drag each other through the mud! :)

Sort of like warfare, I guess. Do you want to lay siege to the people of Toronto for ten months and wear them down, or Blitzkreig them into submission in six weeks? :D

Last edited:
It truly does seem wrong that close to 1/4 of your term as Mayor would be spent campaigning again if you sought reelection.

Aug. 1 should be the start of the election. It is way worse for an elected mayor to never stop campaigning and refuse to do his job, except for the campaign time leading up to the election to canvas for votes.

Aug. 1 should be the start of the election. It is way worse for an elected mayor to never stop campaigning and refuse to do his job, except for the campaign time leading up to the election to canvas for votes.

Or maybe even Sept 1.

Casita mentioned the time is needed because there are 44 wards. But a federal election has the whole country! So, unless there is a more cogent argument, I think the campaign period should be shortened, drastically. I'd like to see it passed along with ranked ballots.

Certainly it would better retain the the attention of the voters.

Last edited:
I agree. The campaign period is far too long. It's like in the US where the president spends half of his first term trying to get reelected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back