News   Jul 18, 2024
 555     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 888     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good.

Also, not to get all Ol' Fort York or anything, but I find it interesting (given the whole 'Kir' thing, which I missed - thankfully) that enthusiastic new contributors like '905Region' reveal zero posting history when you go into the profile. Surely it's just a lag in the platform?

FWIW: I have exactly one post outside of this thread on UT. The train wreck that is Rob Ford is a heluva draw. Just sayin'.
(there is only so much time, too. Many interesting things here, sidelined 'til Ford arrested or dead.)

Many people know about New York City's subway and Chicago's El, but not the Toronto streetcar or subway system. In fact, even Atlanta's famously overbuilt MARTA is more notable among Americans than our public transit system.

Why would Americans have any significant awareness of foreign transit systems?

Why would Americans have any significant awareness of foreign transit systems?

Yeah I don't think that's a very fair complaint. It's very much a municipal issue. Sure we all know the other transit systems exist, but if you ask me to tell you what issues Transport for London is facing right now I wouldn't be able to tell you. You need to be a serious enthusiast or work in the industry to follow transit-related issues worldwide. If a project on New York's subway gets delayed, it doesn't exactly make national news. No one cares. TTC issues are Toronto's own, it would be ... socially awkward to bring that up on an American network to an American audience.

Last edited:
Actually, bennies also refers to amphetamine (i.e. popping bennies to cram for an exam) but I guess now it's another name for benzos...oh, the more you know...

"Bennies" = benzedrine = a form of amphetamine (speed)
"Bennies" = benzo = benzodiazepines = stuff you'd know as Valium or Xanax (sedatives)

Just the science background coming out.

I suspect a lot of folks showed up to UT due to this thread, can't blame them. I think I jointed prior due to going down the rabbit hole of city photos and the neighbourhood node, and then the Ford thing exploded.

ha ha, Bennies vs Benzo's....I guess I am old school, as I previously posted, as in my day "bennies" were what you did when you needed to be awake, focused, or to lose weight. Benzo's do the opposite, at least in my own limited experience.

Vodka and blue gatorade, other than "drunken stupor" any name ideas?

The numerous new warrants taken out on Ford are consistent with the statements that my TPS and attorney sources say that the Police are now gathering evidence to support the timeline of events that lead to crimes they know have been committed. They know where to look. At this point, they're making their case air tight so that it comes with a 100% conviction guarantee. It's happening.

ron-paul.gif

Greetings! Rob Ford and taxpayers all across Toronto had a great Christmas in 2013; Looking forward to having an even greater Christmas in 2014.

I think you make a very good and oft-overlooked point, here. I do think there exists room for such a position within City Hall, perhaps not elected, a person or a team of people who are accessible and help people navigate the bureaucracy. Unfortunately the catch-22 is that creating such a position or team is an exercise in simply introducing more levels of bureaucracy. I do think what Rob describes as "customer service" is something that councillors and their offices do well, and I do think Rob takes a lot of pride in doing a lot of this sort of work when he was councillor.

That being said it's definitely not the mayor's job, and I'm sure the staff at the 311 call centre will be very helpful if you call them with a problem and haven't the faintest clue about the proper channels. I think maybe more public awareness about 311 is what is needed, I don't really think it needs to be a left or right thing, it's not political at all.

Certainly an interesting problem.

While I think he exaggerates wildly about how many calls he takes from citizens, I think he still spends a lot of time doing it, and that probably accounts for some of the times he comes in late in the morning. But his biggest problem is that he shouldn't be doing these "customer service" calls. He is the mayor of a huge city (I guess now in name only) and he gets bogged down in the weeds instead of setting the vision and direction for the city. Plus he is terrible at the big thinking stuff -- so he continues along at what he is comfortable with -- being a glorified call center agent.

In a recent interview Ford claims he's lost 40lbs, which is a lot even considering what he started with.

Did anyone notice a difference?

Or is he exaggerating again?

Jesus, not the weight thing again. Where did he get the idea that the secret to his re-election is dropping a few dozen pounds?

Rob, repeat after me: NO ONE cares how fat you are.

We care about how high you are, how drunk you are, how corrupt you are, how incompetent you are, how homophobic you are, and finally how stupid you are.

You know, all that other stuff.

Yeah I don't think that's a very fair complaint. It's very much a municipal issue. Sure we all know the other transit systems exist, but if you ask me to tell you what issues Transport for London is facing right now I wouldn't be able to tell you. You need to be a serious enthusiast or work in the industry to follow transit-related issues worldwide. If a project on New York's subway gets delayed, it doesn't exactly make national news. No one cares. TTC issues are Toronto's own, it would be ... socially awkward to bring that up on an American network to an American audience.
Fatal accidents get worldwide attention (though more people die from being in cars than die in subway trains on any given day)

The construction of the Second Avenue subway line in NYC gets some national attention though, given how expensive it is.

Sounds like just a rumour. From what we know about Rob, he's not the kind of guy who would voluntarily go to rehab. He is distrustful of 'elites' and I imagine that includes things like mental health professionals, doctors and nutritionists (and it shows, doesn't it?). The family owns a lot of property in Florida and there's no real reason to believe that he'd be going there for rehab. It seems to be the place he goes to run away, not to confront his problems.

i dunno... i still think this diane ford quote is telling...

She insisted that the mayor would not be able to leave and go to rehab, eschewing the notion in the interview.

“He said, ‘I couldn’t,’†she said. “‘I couldn’t just sit in Florida or wherever it might be and twiddle my thumbs.’ People say ‘Take a break, you’ve got to go step down, you’ve got to go get help.’ That’s not Rob.

“Rob has an active mind, Rob has an active body, he’s got to be moving.â€

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/07/rob-fords-mom-says-weight-is-his-biggest-problem

so i am surprised to hear that robyn doesn't have something about it in her book.

also... has anyone told momma ford that rob's "active" mind and body could be due to stimulant use?

Greetings! Rob Ford and taxpayers all across Toronto had a great Christmas in 2013; Looking forward to having an even greater Christmas in 2014.

I agree! its going to be great! Rob Ford will be in jail, and parents all over the city will finally be able to prove to their children that no one is above the law.

FWIW: I have exactly one post outside of this thread on UT. The train wreck that is Rob Ford is a heluva draw. Just sayin'.
(there is only so much time, too. Many interesting things here, sidelined 'til Ford arrested or dead.)

No derogations intended. Yes, it's a big draw. I got here because of following T.O. architecture and Twitter. To be assured, the comment to which you are likely responding was not meant to offend or antagonize. My apologies if such was taken. As suggested, surely just a lag in the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back