614     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 567     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who engage in discussion with a troll should stop. This discussion goes off the rails within a post or two. You may think you are smart and making good arguments but you are unwittingly being an accomplice in trolling. Please stop.

Seconded. In a way we're all Rob Ford trainspotters here, and this is a specialized board. If someone new comes on here and immediately starts getting argumentative, with a clearly (purposely) limited understanding of the subject, do you really owe them courtesy? The only appropriate responses are "piss off and come back when you know what you're talking about"... or nothing. I think the latter option's better, personally.

Sadly, the reality of the decline of Detroit is far more complicated and multifactorial than the tired cliché’s of race riots, white flight, collapsing tax base etc. A good article (of hundreds that exist--for those who are interested), written by an Detroit born Urban Planner:

The Reasons Behind Detroit’s Decline by Pete Saunders

http://www.urbanophile.com/2012/02/21/the-reasons-behind-detroits-decline-by-pete-saunders/

Among the factors he cites:

Poor housing stock:

A downtown that was allowed to become weak:

Freeway expansion:

Lack of/loss of a transit network:

Well, hmmm. Toronto has some of those problems, especially the transit losses. And it seems like Ford et all would like the expansion of all things car related.
Great thoughtful piece!

Also, let's look at the name Ford:

F (6), O (15), R (18), D (4)

6 + 15 + 18 + 4 = 41

4 (D), 1 (A)

So Ford will soon be charged by the DA!

Please, please tell me you're being tongue-in-cheek with this stuff. Remember: it doesn't always come through on the internet.
Funny theory. But, of course, we don't have district attorneys in Canada :) But still, A for effort!

Hi,
From Durham Region. I have been following this forum for about a year and everything you guys are doing is great. Your knowledge on issues and in trying to get Rob Ford out has been awesome. From the outside looking in I wish you nothing but the best in getting him out. Have visited Toronto several times over the year to downtown hospitals and it is a great city with great people (minus Fords and we have a few of our own in Durham Region). Hope you get the best mayor in October.

Updated story here by Kenyon Wallace, http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/02/11/more_search_warrants_surface_in_mayor_rob_ford_probe.html. Nothing really all that exciting in the update. It says investigators would likely have to travel to Apple headquarters in California to access the data on Lisi's phone. Weird.

Countdown until Rob decries the investigators' "California vacation" as a waste of taxpayer dollars, and a "reward for getting in to bed with the Chief".

Sadly, the reality of the decline of Detroit is far more complicated and multifactorial than the tired cliché’s of race riots, white flight, collapsing tax base etc. A good article (of hundreds that exist--for those who are interested), written by an Detroit born Urban Planner:

The Reasons Behind Detroit’s Decline by Pete Saunders

http://www.urbanophile.com/2012/02/21/the-reasons-behind-detroits-decline-by-pete-saunders/

Wow. What about the flight of well-paying union jobs to other jurisdictions? Might the collapse of the city's raison d'etre have something to do with the collapse of the city?

I worked in Woodbridge for a summer and everyone knew of and feared the Commissos. While almost everyone. One of the guys I worked with that summer was a baker and worked for about a week at the Commisso's place. They fired him after only a few days. He says ok, but where's my cheque for the days I put in? The boss says don't you know who we are? He points to the Commisso name on his business card. But the guy says I don't care who you are, I want my cheque or I'm coming back here with a baseball bat. They ended up paying him. The guy was such a crazy hothead that maybe they figured it wasn't worth the trouble.

I'm guessing that guy probably has had a mishap somewhere along the way and maybe isn't doing so well. Just a guess, though. You probably don't want to go asking people about him.

Katie Simpson ‏@KatieSimpson24 · 9m
Mayor Ford's criminal defense lawyer describes new Project Brazen 2 search warrants as a "continued fishing expedition" by TO Police

A fishing expedition that is going to bring Ford in hook line and sinker!

Kouvalis' dirty tricks played a big part in Ford's 2010 campaign and now no real campaign people will work with Rob. Read Doolittle's description of what the campaign was like before Kouvalis swept in and you can imagine what Doug "I Don't Know Where Rob Is But He's Definitely Not Drinking" Ford has going on these days. Pre-taped Youtube videos with fake questions and gay bashing do not a coherent campaign make. IT's been amateur hour so far and it seems to me they're not so much trying to win over new people as hold on to their rump base for dear life.

That's my take on it too. it certainly explains all the anti-gay crap Fatty's been wallowing in for the last few days, like a pig rolling in its own filth. Lovely "strategy," no?

It's not surprising there are solid campaign people lining up to a) get behind a real candidate b) be behind the man (or woman!) who takes Ford down. Far be it from me to speculate that Kouvalis actually has a human soul but it would be nice to think that taking someone like Tory into the chair in which Ford now sits would be a kind of repentance.

I wonder if it's possible Nick Kouvalis is indulging in a little payback here? We all know Slob is not a pleasant man to work for (to put it mildly), and I can't imagine Thug is any better. Did bad blood develop between Kouvalis and the Brothers Ford during the last campaign, mayhap?

Warmington: "What Toronto is doing is saying they like the promotion of homosexuality to minors."

Man, Warmington is a real piece of shit, isn't he? I wonder if he or the Fords realize this puts them squarely on Vladimir Putin's side? When I think back to how rabidly anti-communist the Sun and its stable of columnists was back in the day (to say nothing of their readership...well, the ones who actually took the Sun's politics seriously, anyway), it just makes the entire current situation all the more surreal. Ah, but all is forgiven now that Russia's a "democracy," right? Authoritarianism is authoritarianism, and this is a brand people like the Frods approve of whole-heartedly. Why even pretend to be surprised?

In Halifax he was a douchebag, in Coquitlam he's Rodman...

reporterdonpeat 10:53am via Web
Coquitlam mayor on Rob Ford: He's the Dennis Rodman of mayors, though that may not be fair to Dennis Rodman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back