News   Jul 18, 2024
 431     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 812     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
From May 2011:

Major findings of Every Class in Every School, The Final Report of the First National Climate Survey on Homophobia in Canadian Schools, a survey of 3,700 Canadian high school students being released Thursday at the University of Winnipeg:

• 14% of students, close to one in seven, self-identified as not being exclusively heterosexual

This is near 100% in line with another independent study of Canadian high school students I read a few months ago and this Forum Research poll.

We still have a long way to go with LGBT issues in this country. 14% of high school students are willing to self report as LGBT (impossible to know the true number of LGBT), yet if you asked them if they were willing to come out as LGBT the huge majority of them would say no out of fear of being bullied or harassed by their peers. This isn't equality.

Chic-Fil-A, you mean the restaurant owners that believe in traditional marriage? Why must attitudes only appease those that support gay marriage? Why can't people believe that marriage is between a man a woman? What happened with simply disagreeing? The government has no right to dictate to people what they should believe. It's absurd that that restaurant chain had political support to have it destroyed. Some people just don't care about the rights of those that don't think like them.

We are way off topic, so I just want to point out One Nut, that Gay Marriage affects Traditional Marriage in exactly no way what-so-ever. And that is not even a little what the Chick-fil-A guys are about. They actively support anti-gay organizations. This is your tolerate the intolerant argument again.

What does any of that have to do with gay rights?

What point are you trying to make? Give me some sources that aren't politically motivated.

Who is responsible for this survey? How is any of this information provable? "55% of sexual minority students were verbally harassed in school" How is that any different than fat kids, kids with red hair, kids with freckles being harassed? Who isn't harassed in school for one thing or another? Bullying is bullying.

get your rocks off while you can, loser. we're just waiting for the mods to get home.

[speaking slowly, as if to a small child] Because Rob Ford is a prominent person, and prominent people tend to have a greater influence on social norms. Rob Ford normalizes homophobic views---his influence makes it more OK for the average person to feel comfortable holding homophobic views as well. If every single prominent person was completely gay-positive, homophobia would be simply understood as unacceptable. Please don't kid yourself: Rob Ford and shitheads like him have PLENTY of power to make gay people's lives worse.

"[speaking slowly, as if to a small child]" Why are you being condescending? Do you really think Rob Ford influences people to become homophobic? I'm pretty sure that people are already set in their beliefs on LGTB issues; whatever they are. What is the definition of homophobia? It is such a general statement that is used as a defense mechanism. I still disagree that Ford can make the lives of gay people worse. Your rights can't be stripped away.

Wow. Busy thread these last few hours. Amazing, in its own tawdry way. I am sensing that the hapless Fordistas are trying to mount yet another rally.

It won't work.

Chic-Fil-A, you mean the restaurant owners that believe in traditional marriage? Why must attitudes only appease those that support gay marriage? Why can't people believe that marriage is between a man a woman? What happened with simply disagreeing? The government has no right to dictate to people what they should believe. It's absurd that that restaurant chain had political support to have it destroyed. Some people just don't care about the rights of those that don't think like them.

"Why don't people tolerate my intolerance?! Waaaaah!"

Shut up and go away. How's that.

What point are you trying to make? Give me some sources that aren't politically motivated.

From a Form Research study commissioned by National Post: Link

Considering that National Post and Forum Research are two groups that tend to lean conservative, they'd have no reason to boost the numbers.

This is completely in line with what thedeepend referenced; with chances of LGBT self identification growing among the younger populations.

get your rocks off while you can, loser. we're just waiting for the mods to get home.

Why are you calling me names? You're a bully. You showed me a survey that had nothing to do with my question. What relevance are those statistics to the question I asked? Why do you resort to such petty behaviour when you have can't answer a question in a mature way? Yes, rely on the mods. Is that what you do with people you can't out argue -- you call on others to silence them for you? You must love democracy. You would just love a world where every opinion is in harmony with yours and dissent is thwarted. You act like a helpless little boy when you're challenged.

"[speaking slowly, as if to a small child]" Why are you being condescending? Do you really think Rob Ford influences people to become homophobic? I'm pretty sure that people are already set in their beliefs on LGTB issues; whatever they are. What is the definition of homophobia? It is such a general statement that is used as a defense mechanism. I still disagree that Ford can make the lives of gay people worse. Your rights can't be stripped away.

Reaching for the ignore feature...ahhhhh relief ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back