281     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 431     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 812     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you incapable of an intelligent discussion? Attack my arguments, not me. Don't be a bully. If you're unable to have a civil conversation, then just ignore me.

"Intelligent" isn't a word that comes to mind when one is dealing with a troll who misspells the word "Dundas" is his avatar name on a Toronto forum. i'm thinking "Moron" might be a bit more on the nose.

"Intelligent" isn't a word that comes to mind when one is dealing with a troll who misspells the word "Dundas" is his avatar name on a Toronto forum. i'm thinking "Moron" might be a bit more on the nose.

The spelling mistake is an intentional joke. Note my avatar.

You've got a pretty bad temper.

I hope you do realize that there's a world outside Canada. Just because everything may be fine and dandy for LGBTs in Canada doesn't mean that there's still a lot of work to be done for the rest of the world.
There is Uganda, where homosexuals are executed. There is also Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, and Iran. In Iran's case, sex change is recommended for homosexuals (and sex change is perfectly legal in Iran).

I hope you do realize that there's a world outside Canada. Just because everything may be fine and dandy for LGBTs in Canada doesn't mean that there's still a lot of work to be done for the rest of the world.

I noted other parts of the world in my post. How does Pride improve the lives of gay people in Saudi Arabia, for example? Some cultures will never change and there's nothing you can do about that. That's the harsh reality of the world we live in.

I noted other parts of the world in my post. How does Pride improve the lives of homosexual people in Saudi Arabia, for example? Some cultures will never change and there's nothing you can do about that. That's the harsh reality of the world we live in.
There is also Chick-Fil-A in the American South (they also refuse to open on Sundays, but that is another topic). Making homosexuality acceptable would require changing the culture of many.

There is Uganda, where homosexuals are executed. There is also Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, and Iran. In Iran's case, sex change is recommended for homosexuals (and sex change is perfectly legal in Iran).

Yes, and it's terrible that such things happen, but I don't see how Pride will change that. I think it just infuriates those cultures even more.

There is right here, where creepy straight guys creep during Pride, then grand stand at city council. But could we maybe keep the focus on "Mayor Rob Ford's Toronto" - the subject of this thread?

mi-mammoliti-dyke-march.jpg

Attachments

• mi-mammoliti-dyke-march.jpg
    mi-mammoliti-dyke-march.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 533
Which rights are you denied in Canada?

From May 2011:

Major findings of Every Class in Every School, The Final Report of the First National Climate Survey on Homophobia in Canadian Schools, a survey of 3,700 Canadian high school students being released Thursday at the University of Winnipeg:

• 14% of students, close to one in seven, self-identified as not being exclusively heterosexual

• 55% of sexual minority students were verbally harassed in school

• 64% of LGBTQ students feel unsafe at school, and by far, the least safe places are gym change rooms and the student washrooms• 21% of LGBTQ students were physically harassed or assaulted in school
• 70% of all participating students heard expressions such as “That’s so gay†in school on a daily basis, and 48% heard words such as “faggot,†“lezbo†and “dyke†every day in school.

• Almost 10% of LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, two-spirited, queer or questioning) students heard homophobic comments from teachers daily or weekly

• Verbal and physical harassment are reported occurring significantly less frequently in schools with anti-homophobia policies, but there is no significant difference in LGBTQ students feeling unsafe in schools with such policies

There is also Chick-Fil-A in the American South (they also refuse to open on Sundays, but that is another topic). Making homosexuality acceptable would require changing the culture of many.

Chic-Fil-A, you mean the restaurant owners that believe in traditional marriage? Why must attitudes only appease those that support gay marriage? Why can't people believe that marriage is between a man a woman? What happened with simply disagreeing? The government has no right to dictate to people what they should believe. It's absurd that that restaurant chain had political support to have it destroyed. Some people just don't care about the rights of those that don't think like them.

I'm not upset. Yes, you were persecuted for generations -- and still are in certain parts of the world. In what way are you persecuted in Canada by the government? What rights are you being denied? Who cares what Rob Ford's feelings are on gay people? What power does he have to worsen your lives? Is your day to day life any different because Rob Ford doesn't support Pride?

[speaking slowly, as if to a small child] Because Rob Ford is a prominent person, and prominent people tend to have a greater influence on social norms. Rob Ford normalizes homophobic views---his influence makes it more OK for the average person to feel comfortable holding homophobic views as well. If every single prominent person was completely gay-positive, homophobia would be simply understood as unacceptable. Please don't kid yourself: Rob Ford and shitheads like him have PLENTY of power to make gay people's lives worse.

Well if we need to make it solely about Canadians (because obviously that's all we could possibly care about); There are LGBT CANADIAN Athletes at this Olympics who could be arrested for simply kissing their SO's after their win, or wearing a pride pin because they are proud of who they are. We fly the flag in solidarity with them, and with all LGBT people who are facing the same restrictions. The Gay Propaganda law doesn't apply to literature, it applies to being openly gay. People shouldn't have to hide who they love especially at an event like the Olympics. Also, the flag was raised because people followed the appropriate protocol to have it raised, just like all of the other special interest groups who have their flag flown on the ceremonial flag pole.

The only reason why I'm bothering to reply to this is because it's important that these views aren't simply ignored, but directly answered. I'm sure the same people who are upset about this flag would have no problem with the city making a statement for Christians if it were Christians who were having laws made specifically to stifle who they are in public, which is terrible since Christianity is a choice, a belief, and being gay isn't.

eta: oh wait they are with the whole Quebec Values Charter thing. If you are upset about that but don't think people should be upset about the laws in Russia, then you need to take a long look in the mirror and admit that maybe you're a hateful bigot.

Last edited:
From May 2011:

Major findings of Every Class in Every School, The Final Report of the First National Climate Survey on Homophobia in Canadian Schools, a survey of 3,700 Canadian high school students being released Thursday at the University of Winnipeg:

• 14% of students, close to one in seven, self-identified as not being exclusively heterosexual

• 64% of LGBTQ students feel unsafe at school, and by far, the least safe places are gym change rooms and the student washrooms

• 21% of LGBTQ students were physically harassed or assaulted in school

• 70% of all participating students heard expressions such as “That’s so gay” in school on a daily basis, and 48% heard words such as “faggot,” “lezbo” and “dyke” every day in school.

• Almost 10% of LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, two-spirited, queer or questioning) students heard homophobic comments from teachers daily or weekly

• Verbal and physical harassment are reported occurring significantly less frequently in schools with anti-homophobia policies, but there is no significant difference in LGBTQ students feeling unsafe in schools with such policies

Only right I see here being violated is physical assault. Not sure what other rights are infringed upon with the rest of the data. Care to elaborate.

From May 2011:

• 64% of LGBTQ students feel unsafe at school, and by far, the least safe places are gym change rooms and the student washrooms• 21% of LGBTQ students were physically harassed or assaulted in school
• 70% of all participating students heard expressions such as “That’s so gay” in school on a daily basis, and 48% heard words such as “faggot,” “lezbo” and “dyke” every day in school.

What does any of that have to do with gay rights?

What point are you trying to make? Give me some sources that aren't politically motivated.

Who is responsible for this survey? How is any of this information provable? "55% of sexual minority students were verbally harassed in school" How is that any different than fat kids, kids with red hair, kids with freckles being harassed? Who isn't harassed in school for one thing or another? Bullying is bullying.

[speaking slowly, as if to a small child] Because Rob Ford is a prominent person, and prominent people tend to have a greater influence on social norms. Rob Ford normalizes homophobic views---his influence makes it more OK for the average person to feel comfortable holding homophobic views as well. If every single prominent person was completely gay-positive, homophobia would be simply understood as unacceptable. Please don't kid yourself: Rob Ford and shitheads like him have PLENTY of power to make gay people's lives worse.

i'm pretty sure Dumbat Square is One Nut Kruk. i'm sensing the same old foul obsessions wafting from his posts like week-old sushi. if it's him, the mods will fumigate when they log in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back