152     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 623     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree and have been saying generally the same thing about Ford supporters for a decade, but the truth is no one hears you (or me) just because we're right and have been right all along. Life's not fair, truth doesn't always conquer and the good don't usually win. This was hard for me to admit until I got comfortable with the inability of the majority to understand "stuff" and the consequeny depth of my cynicism. Now I'm mostly a misanthrope but at least I don't get disappointed by the stupidity of humankind. Booze and drugs help. Thanks for listening.

It's taken me this long to figure out that segment of the population is likely not reachable on many important issues, I don't know if it's a majority everywhere but there are certainly enough low info, selfish morons out there to be taken advantage of by equally shitty politicians.

That said, John_Dee and others are right about what a dismal show Ford's political opposition has put on. The mainstream left has been neutered in this country and the discourse has moved so far to the right that most people really have no clue how limited our choices are, and I believe much of the frustration with that manifests itself in people voting for guys like Ford. Any politician who legitimately wanted to fight for the little guy would be staunchly opposed to people like the Fords and yet they're the ones that have been able to claim that rehtoric with little correction from the media (although hopefully Crazy Town will help change that).

Take a look at the Canadian general discourse:

canada2011.png

At least it is more varied than the general American discourse:

us2012.php

Even Obama is closer to that of the Canadian Conservative party than he is to the Canadian Liberal Party, and yet, Republicans paint him as an evil commie.

Last edited:
" Rob's behaviour and near-total silence suggests he knows something's coming and he's losing himself in his poisons before the inevitable. It's like he'd rather self-destruct than face up."

ABSOLUTELY, FOLKS! ;)

Statement above is what I believe also. Even those "connected individuals", connected to the Ford Cartel should be worried about the ramifications of Ford(s) being charged. As supposedly stated by Slob, more people than him are involved!

How much "loyalty" does he have to not squeal like a little girl....to save his zzz?

" Rob's behaviour and near-total silence suggests he knows something's coming and he's losing himself in his poisons before the inevitable. It's like he'd rather self-destruct than face up."

ABSOLUTELY, FOLKS! ;)

Statement above is what I believe also. Even those "connected individuals", connected to the Ford Cartel should be worried about the ramifications of Ford(s) being charged. As supposedly stated by Slob, more people than him are involved!

How much "loyalty" does he have to not squeal like a little girl....to save his zzz?

This is exactly what's happening. We just don't know if his mom, siblings and wife will intervene in order to do some damage control to save the rest of them.

"How much 'loyalty' does he have to not squeal like a little girl....to save his zzz?"

Gosh, I could almost imagine a Ford saying something like this. Please, do explain what creates the extra kick of saying an adult male would act in a stereotyped, ridiculed manner of an immature female.

Anti-gay as a considered campaign strategy? Edward Keenan is saying the same thing, but I'm not buying it.

He already used that strategy last time around, and he will use it again, and it will resonate with a lot of people unless we react to it differently.

Tolerating homosexuals is one thing, endorsing the LGBT movement is another. It's the same with feminism, animal rights, anti-poverty activism, or environmentalism.

By all means these initiatives ought to be supported, but saying that those who do not support them are 'disgusting bigots' will get us nowhere politically. Try 'uneducated', 'narrow-minded', or even 'living in the past' instead. Then actually campaign to promote these issues rather than assuming the battle has already been won and those that don't get it are garbage.

What would the social life of a vegan be like if he referred to all of his friends as murderers? Sometimes we need to soften our rhetoric if we want to influence others.

Globe & Mail..the Mayor of Coquitlam says he thinks that both the police and provincial liquor authorities might be interested in looking into allegations that liquor was served past closing time at the Foggy Dew

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...fords-night-out-in-vancouver/article16763774/

It's interesting - if it was a private party and the bar was closed, was it really "served" in the liquor law sense?

My buddy used to own a restaurant on Queen W, he had an apartment right above it. Obviously his liquor license wouldn't let him sell alcohol past 2am even if he wanted to, but if we went down to the restaurant at 3am to get a pint from the taps, would he be breaking the law? I mean, it's not illegal if he had a beer from his fridge upstairs in the apartment, why would it be illegal in the restaurant? Still his property.

That's sorta how afterhours speakeasies work in Montreal. They're all 'private parties'.

edit: It's actually quite a funny story, an experience at an afterhours in Montreal. A local friend of mine got me in and it was very clearly a bar, with staff and everything. Anyhow around 4am the cops came, had a friendly chat with the bartenders and then left. I asked them, you know, how didn't they shut you down? In Toronto if the cops come to an afterhours, party's over. They told me, "It's a private party, we're not a bar. ;-) They warned us about noise." And so the party went on. In the wee hours of the morning, we were clearing out and the sun was coming up, the fire department came and issued them a gargantuan ticket - like over a grand - for violating some fire code. And that was that. That's just the cost of doing business in Montreal I suppose.

Last edited:
In Ontario, even a private party requires a liquor license (they're called special occasion permits) and they expire at 2am.

Locking the doors might help convince an inspector not to write a ticket, but it certainly isn't protection from the law.

Giving away alcohol, even for free, counts as "serving" under the law.

In Ontario, even a private party requires a liquor license (they're called special occasion permits) and they expire at 2am.

Locking the doors might help convince an inspector not to write a ticket, but it certainly isn't protection from the law.

Giving away alcohol, even for free, counts as "serving" under the law.

So if you're at home, you can serve alcohol to whoever you want, but if you're in a property you have a liquor license for, you can't serve alcohol in that property even for a private party? That seems bizarre. I'd believe it, considering how restrictive liquor laws are in Ontario to begin with, but that would literally make it illegal for my aforementioned friend to serve his friends a pint in his locked restaurant after-hours but legal for him to serve that same pint in his apartment directly upstairs (but at a separate address).

Let's just say if it was illegal, lock us up because we're all criminals. Especially when we were helping prepare for his wedding. Broke that law a lot. Wouldn't you if you had imported Czech beer on tap?

"How much 'loyalty' does he have to not squeal like a little girl....to save his zzz?"

Gosh, I could almost imagine a Ford saying something like this. Please, do explain what creates the extra kick of saying an adult male would act in a stereotyped, ridiculed manner of an immature female.

No insult intended.

I was sitting in my Starbucks when I wrote this, listening to teen/ twenty something young ladies "squealing" about boyfriends and relationships.

I am definitely not part of the Ford Cartel!

Back to the story. When he is caught, slob will give up any and everyone to save his azz. As we've seen, he takes responsibility for NOTHING. It's everyone else's fault.

A person's residence and a commercial establishment with a liquor license are completely different under the law, and for good reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back