138     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 383     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 488     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean just recently I overheard a completely casual conversation where the idea of simply sterilizing poor people was floated and seriously considered with a hearty "cheers!" and no trace of sarcasm. Once you get past the veneer of politeness, the suburbs can be pretty awful.

Strangely enough, I can picture that sentiment these days among *anti*-Fords--at least, when it comes to the suburban poor people who voted Ford in in the first place...

I think you've got to separate CC's demographic with that of The Daily Show. I've always used it as a humorous way to view the news of the day.
I would challenge that.
TV Tropes said:
  • The Daily Show likes to play games with the censors. California banned homosexual marriage. Interestingly, they also created new legislation ensuring that chickens in slaughterhouses were not being mistreated. Jon Stewart: (picture of rooster appears on screen) So clearly, California voters are still amenable to some [bleep].
    Jon Stewart: There's apparently an enormous amount of material... clogging Ted Stevens' tubes. (Pause.) Perhaps some fiber... optic cable...

Source: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Radar/LiveActionTV
Defying the censors on a cable channel is pushing into frat boy territory.

Last edited:
Renata must dress based on moods then if she brings more than one winter coat for a weekend trip.

I went to Vancouver in November and took either 3 or 4 jackets. She could have brought a parka type jacket as well as something dressier for the funeral. They were there Friday through Monday so it was a bit more than a weekend. I'm more surprised he took her and the kids along.

One hour in a small, single-toilet bathroom, when he emerges he's "talking gibberish," and then this:

The first words witnesses could understand from Ford were: “No pictures.”

Our mayor!

And if this story isn't enough, you can just click on the one right beneath it:

"Bar patrons get visit from Ford, who calls in sick the next day"

Last edited:
I would challenge that.

Quit being so ridiculously judgemental. Your stereotypes are way out of place. Comedy Central is a great network that features some fantastic content, Daily Show and Colbert Report just to start, and is one of the few networks that actually dedicates itself to comedy. As a fan of comedy, I appreciate that they exist and are able to fund this programming.

And I'll have you know that not all "frat boys" behave like the stereotypes you get from American media. When I was at uni I attended a few frat parties and they were some of the nicest people I had ever met. Normally if someone throws a kegger, the money goes to pay for their personal booze and drugs. These guys were doing it for charity and it's all they could talk about. And they were serious about their academics and had serious girlfriends instead of hooking up with randoms all the time. And their house was *way* cleaner than other houses I'd seen in the student ghetto.

Basically, grow up!

Last edited:
I would challenge that.

Not that frat boys are an actual demographic or anything (what percentage of the population is actually in a fraternity at a given time? 3%?), but if they're into anything on TV, it's probably animated. I don't see them getting wasted in their dorms and hooting and giggling at John Boeher and Nancy Pelosi references.

University-aged (ore educated) people in general, though, do probably make up a good percentage of The Daily Show's audience.

One hour in a small, single-toilet bathroom, when he emerges he's "talking gibberish," and then this:

Our mayor!

And if this story isn't enough, you can just lick on the one right beneath it:

"Bar patrons get visit from Ford, who calls in sick the next day"

I'm sure after about twenty minutes in that washroom, people were staring to think he'd pulled an Elvis.

Sure, blame the poor, the suburbs, the blue-collar working class. If it makes you feel that you and your buddies are better people. But Ford maintains popularity because he has been and to some extent still is legitimized by institutions and people who are leading forces in the city. The Star was right to ask why political, cultural and business leaders weren't publicly taking stands against Ford. Conrad Black, scandalized but still a long way from poor, uneducated, suburban or working class, stood up for Ford when he thought it would aid his TV show. Look at all those well-heeled who paid $100 a seat to listen to Ford begin his campaign at the Economic Club. (And its leadership who may have aided in some cover about getting stuck on an elevator.) When Ford made toxic the debate on transportation other politicians - councilors like De Baeremaeker and Stintz, then the province and Metrolinx, then the federal government - caved to him and his supposed hold on his voter base. The CTV, City, CP24, Global broadcast media, most interested in the middle-class family suburban car-driving demographic that Ford plays to, has always treated him gingerly, highlights his outrage issues and continues to find people to speak favourably of him on camera. Because he's now a celebrity everyone continues to focus on him and seek his attention. And the civic opposition, which burns much of its energy snarking on Twitter, makes most important minor issues, like if a Mayor who is not longer fully the Mayor will attend the Pride parade, and has failed to develop fresh vibrant candidates either for the mayoralty or the council seats.

Added on edit: Reporters chase him everywhere, knowing that he won't answer their questions, and that they will be used by him to spread his message. Councilors, who voted to remove him due to behaviour that brought their body into disrepute, continue to engage in football pools and other buddy nonsense with him now that he won't go away, and - like with Minnan-Wong - circle back to his side when it allows them to score points against their political enemies.

Last edited:
Mayor not attending pride doesn't hurt him north of bloor politically.
Rob ford is now officially running a "does not give a fuck" campaign.

I think they call this Baader-Meinhof phenomenon but ever since the video of Ford and Lisi at Steak Queen (where many people helpfully pointed out that Lisi was wearing the same "Canada Goose" coat he had on in a previous photo) I have been seeing people in Canada Goose coats everywhere. Today I swear I saw 9 different people in that coat -- always the black 3/4 length, too, even though they have other colours/styles. I don't know if I'm just noticing them more now or if he has somehow boosted their sales. :p

Yes, it's reached epidemic levels. And the majority I see appear to be knockoffs. I bought my 3/4 black bomber-style Chilliwack five years ago and only saw a few all winter. One year later, we were already in a pandemic with people of all ages and demographics wearing them. It's a great coat, totally warm, one of the best and well-made purchases I've made...but it's a burden to put on so as to be like everyone else on the street.

Yes, it's reached epidemic levels. And the majority I see appear to be knockoffs. I bought my 3/4 black bomber-style Chilliwack five years ago and only saw a few all winter. One year later, we were already in a pandemic with people of all ages and demographics wearing them. It's a great coat, totally warm, one of the best and well-made purchases I've made...but it's a burden to put on so as to be like everyone else on the street.

Personally I think it's totally overkill for Toronto! There were only a couple of days this entire winter where I felt underdressed for the weather in a simple wool overcoat. A nice sweater underneath fixed that just fine.

But, if I could get one for over 50% off... I'd think about it! Fashion be damned!

Canada goose got bought out by Bain (Romney's old company) that toronto factory will be shuttered in 2-3 years guaranteed

I think they call this Baader-Meinhof phenomenon but ever since the video of Ford and Lisi at Steak Queen (where many people helpfully pointed out that Lisi was wearing the same "Canada Goose" coat he had on in a previous photo) I have been seeing people in Canada Goose coats everywhere. Today I swear I saw 9 different people in that coat -- always the black 3/4 length, too, even though they have other colours/styles. I don't know if I'm just noticing them more now or if he has somehow boosted their sales. :p

Errmm....I also never noticed babies or toddlers in the city until I became a dad, and now I see them everywhere. I seriously doubt there's any connection. Those stupid Canada Goose coats are everywhere, and not because of Sandro Lisi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back