436     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 604     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
""Mayor David Miller wasn't in the council chamber during the arguments, but said later he was embarrassed by the antics.
"I think public service is something that's a privilege that you must honour with your conduct, " he said.""

It really effing blows my mind when people say "Ford may not be the best but he's better than David Miller".

+1.

G&M's anybody but Ford editorial took a couple of shots at Miller, too. People's perception of the garbage strike (which I think he handled not particularly well but wasn't the fiasco that it's been whipped up to be) have essentially been turned into an all-encompassing meme for Miller's two terms. He was a very, very effective Mayor. Best one in my time in Toronto (since the summer of '91) by a country mile.

I miss Miller. First time in a long time that I felt Toronto was dynamically advancing towards being something progressive, intelligent, smoothly run and internationalist. It had a bit of the good progressivist vibes from my memories of Canada in the decade from Expo to the CN Tower. Miller was even concerned that the city be beautiful.
As was noted by someone earlier on this thread, part of Miller's toenail is still worth more than all of Ford.

I was really shocked and depressed at the speed at which the lies about Miller and the demonization of him took hold. I remember the Sun printing an article about him having left, with a bad illustration of the city as smouldering ruins. Ridiculous, stupid, crap. And now look who's still in power.

Last edited:
Sandy was bigger and destroyed more stuff - DUH. Really, do you think that if I know about Occupy Sandy I somehow don't know the extent of Sandy's damage?

You totally missed my point - that it doesn't matter how big or small the event is, a person at risk is still at risk.

I didn't miss your point. The magnitude of a community response coorelates well to the number of people at risk, or beyond "at risk". Your values may dictate that a response should not correlate to magnitude of people at risk, but the instead the existence of risk, but it should be obvious that's just not how the overwhelming majority of people think or act.

I didn't miss your point. The magnitude of a community response coorelates well to the number of people at risk, or beyond "at risk". Your values may dictate that a response should not correlate to magnitude of people at risk, but the instead the existence of risk, but it should be obvious that's just not how the overwhelming majority of people think or act.

So a vulnerable person is more likely to be helped in a seriously extra major crisis but in a medium crisis it's just their tough luck. Let the chips fall where they may. That's how it works? Yikes. Great society we have.

29 Questions for Mayor Rob Ford: Torontonians do want answers to these...

The Big 6 Newsmaker of the Year: Rob Ford

With 43% of your votes, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is the Day 6 Newsmaker of 2013. Ford has only agreed to a handful of interviews since the crack video story broke in May, and often declines to answer questions. We've assembled a list of questions that some of the key reporters on the story and others would like Mayor Ford to answer. Mayor Ford was sent these questions on December 17, along with an invitation to answer them in an interview or in writing. Mayor Ford did not respond to our request. Some questions below refer to information from police documents, including the Project Brazen and Project Traveller "Information To Obtain" docs. Information from these documents has not been proven in a court of law.

DonPeat, The Toronto Sun:
1. Do you not feel shame about what you have done?
2. What happened the night and early morning of April 20 at 15 Windsor?
3. What makes you think Toronto residents will ever trust you again enough to re-elect you in 2014?
4. Why won't you speak to Toronto Police investigators?
5. What does getting high on crack cocaine feel like?

Christie Blatchford, The National Post:
6. How could you have said, in front of all those TV cameras, what you did about your wife? Do you have any idea how coarse you sounded? And why did you then and do you always, offer a quick "I apologize" and expect to be immediately forgiven?
7. Do you have any friends who don't have criminal records and, without naming them, who are they in a general way?
8. Why do you think losing weight is your biggest challenge given your acknowledged binge drinking and occasional drug use?

Jonathan Goldstein, Wiretap, CBC Radio:
9. When was the moment you realized this whole thing might have gotten away from you?

Robyn Doolittle, The Toronto Star:
10. At the end of the so-called crack video, you look directly at the person filming and say: "That better not be on." What happened next?
11. Wiretaps suggest you offered the dealer $5000 and a car in exchange for the footage and that he intended on asking you for between $100,000-$150,000. Were you being extorted?
(Note: Rob Ford called these an allegations an "outright lie" in a December 5 appearance on the Washington, DC radio program The Sports Junkies.)
12. If you had never gone into politics, what do you think your life would look like right now?

Jackson Proskow, Municipal Affairs Reporter, Global News:
13. What was in those packages you exchanged with Sandro Lisi?
14. How did you come to know the people who provided you with crack cocaine?
15. Have you ever drank or used drugs at work?

Greg McArthur, The Globe and Mail:
16. Between May 16 and 18, less than 48 hours after the Star and Gawker published stories about you smoking crack cocaine, 13 phone calls were made to Sandro Lisi from phones belonging to you. What did you discuss with him? Why did you need to speak with him so many times?
17. Over that same period Mr. Lisi also made a number of phone calls to two alleged drug dealers who had a copy of the video. Toronto police say that over those two days, Mr. Lisi told them they would harmed if they didn't hand over the video. What did Mr. Lisi tell you about his conversations with the accused drug dealers?
18. During those two days, Mr. Lisi also made five phone calls to the home of Fabio Basso, your longtime friend who lives in the alleged "crackhouse" where the video was made. And on May 21st, three days after he called Mr. Basso, someone burst into that home and assaulted Mr. Basso and his family members. Since then, have you spoken to Mr. Basso? If so, what did he say about the attack? If not, why not.

Jayme Poisson, The Toronto Star:
19. Mayor Ford, after the mass shooting on Danzig St. in 2012, you said that you had declared "war" on gangs in this city. On Project Traveller wiretaps, alleged members of the Dixon City Bloods street gang describe several situations involving you and drugs. The men who tried to sell the now notorious "crack video" are also alleged members of this gang, and are now facing gun and drug trafficking charges. Can you give us a complete and honest account of your association and dealings with these alleged Dixon City Blood gang members?
20. Did you, or anyone associated with you, offer $5,000 and a car or any other reward in exchange for videos or photos documenting your drug use?

Kevin Donovan, Toronto Star:
21. Mayor Ford, from the moment I saw the video of you smoking crack cocaine I have had a nagging question. Who is the man, a friend it seems, who is loudly goading you off camera into making rude, racially charged and homophobic statements? What is the name of that person?
22. Mayor Ford, when the Toronto Star exposed your involvement with Sandro Lisi, who had tried to retrieve the video and who had told people he was your drug dealer, you pointedly told the world you do not "throw my friends under the bus." Was this a message to Mr. Lisi in the hope that he would not turn police informant on you?
23. Mayor, you have described yourself as a family man and the best father there is. Do you think it was wise to have Sandro Lisi, a man convicted of threatening to kill a young woman, attend a child's soccer game? Would you please tell us what Mr. Lisi gave you that day and what you gave him in return.
24. Mayor Ford, many of the people you surround yourself with have criminal records, some for drugs, some for violence. Do you intentionally seek these people out and if so, for what reason?

George Stroumbolopoulos, George Stroumbolopoulos Tonight:
25. Why is your brother always there in interviews?
26. If you were in City Council and a Mayor acted like you did, would you call for their resignation? (Note: Ford responded to City Council's vote to limit his powers on Nov. 15.)

Natalie Alcoba, The National Post:
27. Mayor Ford, your former press secretary, George Christopoulos, told police that you said you knew Anthony Smith, the man pictured with you in the notorious photo taken outside 15 Windsor Road. Smith was a suspected member of the Dixon City Bloods who was gunned down outside a down-town nightclub in March. You've commented on the photo before - but I want to ask you specifically, did you know Anthony Smith? Do you know anything about why Anthony Smith was killed?
28. Mayor Ford, since you were elected, how often did you go to the house on Windsor Road that police believe to be a crack house? What did you do there?

Mary Walsh, This Hour Has 22 Minutes
29. Why do you always lie first and tell the truth later, why not simplify your life and tell the truth first?
http://www.cbc.ca/day6/big-6/2013/12/27/the-big-6-newsmaker-of-the-year-rob-ford/

Everyone: I noticed these questions and link and I will add that Torontonians and other interested citizens do want answers to these important questions from the Press...

I as well as many here would like to see how Mayor Ford answers these as we end 2013...May 2014 be a better year for all!!!

LI MIKE

A lot of these questions have already been answered. What is really needed is for one reporter (eg Kevin Donovan or Robyn Doolittle) to have an actual interview with Rob alone.

Answers:
1. Yes, and I have apologized and am moving forward.
2. Not going to comment on an ongoing case.
3. We'll see what happens. My record, still popular everywhere I go, saved a billion dollars, gave Scarborough a subway, etc. (usual campaign rhetoric). Want a fridge magnet?
4. Lawyer's advice.
5. I was so drunk, don't even remember.

6. I was complimenting her!
7. I meet a lot of people and have many friends. When you meet someone do you start off asking them if they have a criminal record.
8. I have not had a drink or done any drugs in ___ weeks. That's all in the past.

9.The people decided and I'm still mayor, so nothing has "gotten away" from me.

10. Good question Robyn.
11. I cannot discuss a matter that is before the courts (Lisi trial).
Ford legally can talk about it but has used this answer before.
12. Football coach, of course.

13. Again, cannot discus a matter before the courts/Not going to throw a friend under the bus.
14. Was so drunk that night it's all a blur.
15. That would be irresponsible.

16. Already answered (see 13)
17. See 16.
18. See 17, or "Next question!"

19. I have no idea about drug dealers conversations with each other.
20. Already answered this. Next question.

21. Drunken stupor, don't remember.
22. Was just stating my opinion.
23. Lisi is a good man and I trust him.
24. I also 'surround myself' with Toronto councilors.

25.He's not here today.
26. Saved the city a billion dollars, sticking to agenda, etc.

27. No
28. It's not a crack house. What I do on personal time is personal. Let he who is without crack cast the first stone. No wait how does that saying go...

29. You scared my daughter. Now you're scaring me!

TG: At least you got some of the answers wanted from Mayor Ford...LI MIKE

So a vulnerable person is more likely to be helped in a seriously extra major crisis but in a medium crisis it's just their tough luck. Let the chips fall where they may. That's how it works? Yikes. Great society we have.

That can't be news to you.

Also, a more nuanced comparison of the events would look at the media coverage of anticipated effects. Prior to the impact, the term "superstorm Sandy" had aleady been coined, evacuations ordered, and cable news was already broadcasting live coverage.

For the storm here, pre-impact coverage was much lighter; lost in the holiday news shuffle; and for many was just another generic "special weather statement". People with power woke up on a weekend to scattered reports of storm damage and light media coverage: which I suspect was due to few impacts downtown around the newspaper and radio/tv broadcasters located there; people already on vacation; and little info out of city hall. It really took 48 hours after the storm hit for the extent of damage to be widely publicised.

Last edited:
For anyone who watches the nightly news and had power, the scope and severity of the damage was very apparent by Sunday night. Being downtown and walking around Sunday afternoon, it was pretty stunning to see first hand what damage had been done and the amount of ice on trees, and I don't think we got hit nearly as bad as mere half mile north.

It didn't take 48 hours if you were living in it. People that either didn't lose power or only lost it for a few hours didn't really understand how bad it was for the rest of us. Sunday afternoon they said 72 hours at worst and people were already freezing in their homes. We cleared our mom out several hours in and my brother and I also stayed elsewhere.

For anyone who watches the nightly news and had power, the scope and severity of the damage was very apparent by Sunday night. Being downtown and walking around Sunday afternoon, it was pretty stunning to see first hand what damage had been done and the amount of ice on trees, and I don't think we got hit nearly as bad as mere half mile north.

I walked around downtown Sunday morning and did my shopping at the grocery store, LCBO, and on Yonge Street with no interruption or any knowledge of power outages. I even made a post here about my puzzlement about what happened to streetcar service as there was no power loss or visible storm damage at all in my travels.

But with the specific discussion here about response mobilisation of Sandy vs. this storm: the incoming destructive power of Sandy was known well enough in advance that Manhattan shut down before the storm hit on Monday. Stock exchanges and banks announced on Sunday they would be closed on Monday. Amtrak pre-emptively cancelled all trains. Flights were cancelled too. States of Emergency and evacuations were declared before the storm arrived. People knew Sandy would be a massive disaster requiring a major national and community response well before it happened. It was much different from an ice storm which doesn't form in an ocean 1,000 miles away and is 2 degrees celsius away from being just a rain storm or a snow storm. You don't prepare for it in advance. And most relevantly as noted above, people don't respond to the potential of risk to life as they do to obvious life in crisis from cable tv broadcasting live footage of a thousand houses flooded with 10 feet of water while simultaneously burning down.

Last edited:
SOE whatever.

Rob Ford bumbled his way through the storm and has made his first wise decision so far in avoiding the embarrassment he would have felt in trying to cross the border. Can't wait to see the questions he gets from the people of Toronto instead. Paid softballs most likely.

SOE whatever.

Rob Ford bumbled his way through the storm and has made his first wise decision so far in avoiding the embarrassment he would have felt in trying to cross the border. Can't wait to see the questions he gets from the people of Toronto instead. Paid softballs most likely.

Actually, SOE called or not, it would seem that the day to day op during the clean-up was run threw Kelly's office, not RoFo's. I guess this is the reason why apparently Wynne was meeting with Kelly and not RoFo. On the other hand, it could just be that RoFo refuses to work with a Lesbian Liberal, he has in the past shown his disdain for LGBT, women in politics, and lefties.

Last edited:
Let's leave the SOE. It has debated for a whole week here, with some thinking it should have been called, and an equal number thinking it shouldn't.
I am sure we can all agree that RoFo didn't communicate effectively WHY it should not have been a SOE. So much so, that average citizens think he didn't care about them, and was ego-tripping by not calling it.

Let's hear more about how and why RoFo will be taken away in handcuffs!

Let's leave the SOE. It has debated for a whole week here, with some thinking it should have been called, and an equal number thinking it shouldn't.
I am sure we can all agree that RoFo didn't communicate effectively WHY it should not have been a SOE. So much so, that average citizens think he didn't care about them, and was ego-tripping by not calling it.

Let's hear more about how and why RoFo will be taken away in handcuffs!

I think a jacket that buttons in the back, and an anti-psychotic would be more to order. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back